strings?

james123

Teenager from mars
hey guys i know this is a sort of stupid question but here goes..

i want to restring my guitar with thicker strings but the last time i did this with another of my guitars it kind of went wrong as the extra string weight put more tension on the bridge causeing it to rise up (this was a strat style bridge) and left me having to send it to get prepared but i want to restring a les paul style bridge will the same thing happen or will i be alright?
any comments will be great

Changing sting gauge generally calls for a set up. Things like the truss rod adjustment, intonation, nut, yada yada yada. It's a good idea to decide which gauge you want, get it set up that way and stick to it. :cool:

With a Les Paul type bridge (stopbar/tune-a-matic) there are no springs to deal with so string guage should not affect bridge hight. Heavier strings will put more tension on the neck (may cause bowing) so you may need to tighten the truss rod to correct this. The intonation may also need to be set if you go to a heavier guage of strings (probably will) and you may want to lower the pickups just a little.

Back