Strat strings

SnakeDog5050

2 headed snake witha rake
Hey people with strats :D I'm replacing the strings on my new strat for the first time... for the best strat clean sound, what brand/guage strings have you had luck with?

apl said:
Try Snake Oil Brand Original Nickel. AFAIK, they're the only strings with nickel windings; everyone else's are nickel plated. I use them on my faux hardtail strat and they sound great. I like 11s, but that might be too much for a whammy.

Cool, thanks, haven't heard of those before, sounds interesting. Hopefully you didn't recommend me Snake strings just because of my name :p

SnakeDog5050 said:
Cool, thanks, haven't heard of those before, sounds interesting. Hopefully you didn't recommend me Snake strings just because of my name :p

No, I really like them. They last forever, too. You can email the guy that runs the place and ask him what he'd recommend. It's a small operation. The strings arrive in a hand-addressed envelope.

I used to have a problem breaking strings all the time and that lead to try just about everystring out there for a while. I finally ended up with the Dean Markley Blues Steels (9-42's), and I've not looked back.........that was about 15 years ago..

They also retain their clarity or "newness" if you will alot longer than normal strings.

I've actually turned the other two guitarist in my band on to them and they love them as well (Both strat players)

FWIW

Rick

WERNER 1 said:
I used to have a problem breaking strings all the time and that lead to try just about everystring out there for a while. I finally ended up with the Dean Markley Blues Steels (9-42's), and I've not looked back.........that was about 15 years ago..

They also retain their clarity or "newness" if you will alot longer than normal strings.

I've actually turned the other two guitarist in my band on to them and they love them as well (Both strat players)

FWIW

Rick

+1 for Dean Markley

I use the ones in the Grey Box 9-42 Signature Series - Nickel Steel

oops the box has now changed to a darker color :confused:
http://www.deanmarkley.com/Strings/Electric/NickelSteelEl.shtml

or Blue Steels (get those for Xmas a lot).

:D :) :D :)

TravisinFlorida said:
sissy boy :D

lol I've got a couple Ibanez for the heavy stuff, Tele and Strats for the normal stuff and a duo for the weird stuff. 10's on teh Ibanez, 8's on the strat 9's on the tele and when I can find them 7's on the duo, mostly 8s though because I break 7s like woah.

apl said:
No, I really like them. They last forever, too. You can email the guy that runs the place and ask him what he'd recommend. It's a small operation. The strings arrive in a hand-addressed envelope.

Sounds cool, can't wait them in the mail for now, but I'll definitely order some so they'll be ready for a try next time.

SnakeDog5050 said:
Sounds cool, can't wait them in the mail for now, but I'll definitely order some so they'll be ready for a try next time.

I just ordered three sets. They are kind of expensive, like about 10 bucks a set. I'll let you know if they are worth the diff.

ggunn said:
I just ordered three sets. They are kind of expensive, like about 10 bucks a set. I'll let you know if they are worth the diff.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I hope you like them. Did you get the original nickels? What gauge?

apl said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I hope you like them. Did you get the original nickels? What gauge?

I ordered the original nickels with an 11 top and the slightly heavier bottom. That's the ME+ set.

ggunn said:
I ordered the original nickels with an 11 top and the slightly heavier bottom. That's the ME+ set.

Cool. I used to get Dean Markleys like that. I use the regular 11s.

What are you putting them on?

apl said:
Cool. I used to get Dean Markleys like that. I use the regular 11s.

What are you putting them on?

'61 Strat through '64 BFDR clean. I switched from DM's to DR pure nickel strings a while back; to my ears the pure nickel is mellower and less clangy than steel, especially in the #2 position, where I spend 95% of my time. I keep hearing great things about the Snake Oils, so I thought I'd give 'em a try.

Back