Stock Tips..

Atom Bomb

Wtf is a PRS
Hey?! Anyone out there do any daytrading? Got any good stock tips? Im dabbling. I hate it. Its addictive. I currently only am doing day trading on an educational simulator. So you know, i lose 10'000 'dollars' i don't lose much sleep. But have been sharpening my skills. I missed the boat on a few good ones. Just wondering if anyone else out there is dabbling or curious.

yea, i know its gambling. But I also don't play poker. haha

Ok. enough.

Discuss.

It's not a good way to make money, but if it interests you then go for it.

The problem with small scale daytrading is transaction fees can eat up most of your gains. I have an ING account, which for realtime trades costs me 9.95 a trade (though, there are better options out there). So, to take a position and then close it, I need to come out at least $20 ahead to break even - that's a required gain of 20% on a $100 play, or 4% on $500, just to break even. You can do it, but don't expect to manage a couple hundred dollar portfolio like you would even a $10k portfolio, and unless you could go out and drop a couple grand on entertainment and not feel too bad at it (and not many people I know can), then you probably shouldn't be trading more than a few hundred.

So, toss all the "professional" advice about diversification out the window, because transaction costs will more than destroy any advantages diversification will give you, until your portfolio gets up to a couple grand. Basically, do your homework, find a security that you can come up with a plausible reason why it might be misvalued, and then go all in, would be my advice on a small scale portfolio.

I've been trading for a couple months now - not really that seriously, but it gives me something else to do on slow days at work. I turned a $500 portfolio into almost $700 on a bet on Ford (I expected the "cash for clunkers" program to give them a disproportionate boost due to the fact that for much of America the fact they weren't bailed out would count for a lot, and quarterly earnings bore me out) and on Vonage, when my roommate (who's a telecom economic consultant) was expecting them to beat earnings when most of the market wasn't, but have since lost a fair chunk of that on a small Chinese oil firm (though, I still think over a long enough timeline that's a good trade - their ROE is outstanding, and if the leases they're currently trying to negotiate come through, they should go up a fair amount).

My limited experience so far has been the hardest part is knowing when to (or when to not) get out of a position. My timing was perfect on Ford, a bit less so on VG. :p

I use zecco. Only 4.50 a trade. Makes it a little easier to make money on a small position. If you are only playing with a little money you do have to go all in or it's really difficult to make any cash.
I started out with $130. I'm up to $500 now. My original plan was to practice with the $130 and then drop a grand in my account once I was comfortable. Now I think I'm gonna leave the grand in savings and roll with what I got.

This site is a great resource: http://itradepennystocks.com/

Make some rules and stick by them. My current trading rules are out at 10% loss or 30% profit. That way I can have a 3 to 1 fail ratio and still not lose money. If I'm right half of the time I profit.
Once I get a little more money built up I'll be more aggressive. I've already bailed too early on a few and missed out on some nice gains.

As far as stock tips I'm riding XHUA at the moment. It looks like it's consolidating and ready to pop soon. Just remember to do your DD and don't take my word for it.

I use a full service brokerage, pay outrageous transaction fees and make good money with them but...I'm not playing with a few hundred bucks here. It a good deal more serious then that and so far this year, I've made about 13 grand in profit on a portfolio of 5 stocks. I am out now on all of them for the time being, as I suspect a MAJOR correction is coming within the next few weeks and I'm waiting for that hit and then I'll jump back in again and ride the next wave up.

I don't day trade though. Most of my investments have about a 3 to 6 month shelf life and each one is discussed at length with my broker before I buy and before I sell. I get good advice from them and am willing to pay for that good advice. Day trading is out and out gambling...not my bag.

Cheers! :)

Hey?! Anyone out there do any daytrading? Got any good stock tips? Im dabbling. I hate it. Its addictive. I currently only am doing day trading on an educational simulator. So you know, i lose 10'000 'dollars' i don't lose much sleep. But have been sharpening my skills. I missed the boat on a few good ones. Just wondering if anyone else out there is dabbling or curious.

yea, i know its gambling. But I also don't play poker. haha

Ok. enough.

Discuss.

Uh huh! :rolleyes:

You're either full of shit or just plain fucking stupid.
Read carefully first Randy! :D

Cheers! :)

Day trading is out and out gambling...not my bag.

It's my kind of gambling. =)
I used to gamble on NFL games now I use that money to day trade.
You can't set a stop loss on the over under but you can on a stock.
Sure you run the risk of it tanking big-time and your order not getting filled but even then you still own shares and can wait it out and hope it goes back up.
You lose betting on sports or playing the slots and you lose it all.

I guess I don't technically day trade because I very seldom buy and then sell a stock the same day.
You actually have to be careful doing that because you can get flagged as a pattern day trader and have you account suspended.

I play with a bit of my IRA account, but a bit differently. I will buy a stock and then sell "covered calls" against the position. This normally works out pretty good, but, like last month, once in a while I will have the stock called away from me. I'm still waiting for a drop back to buy it again and restart the process. Overall, though, I am well ahead of the game using this process.

Uh huh! :rolleyes:

You're either full of shit or just plain fucking stupid.

I'm not going to entertain this HAHA.

Wow. Alot more people then I thought. Mostly American day traders though. I am in Canada. Not sure if the same buying process is the same? I watch alot of TSX stuff.

The other thing that i am having trouble with is that in the industry i work in a am privvy to little bits of info here and there. Saying that i'll watch the company i hear about and almost always it seem to have considerable gains.

If you traders want to know what im seeing please feel free to PM me and i'll send you the ticker symbols for 2 doozies that i seriosuly should not have slept on. Were talking gains of over 70%

Not full of shit. i will share tickers if asked.

But would that be considered insider trading? Or is it good stock tips? or what? Morally i think it might be a little wrong due to having an unfair advantage but WTF.

My gut in those two instances told me to just DO IT, but my morals got in the way.

:confused:

But i have already been told by a guy i work with i have a good mind for playing stocks. I just don't have the soul for it. Unfortunatly he took one of my tips and turned it into 20G's And i didn't get so much as a thanks.

Sound advice? I don't know.

But would that be considered insider trading? Or is it good stock tips? or what? Morally i think it might be a little wrong due to having an unfair advantage but WTF.

As someone who works in the industry...

It's probably not "insider trading." Insider trading is by definition trading on material nonpublic knowledge, defined as anything not publically known that, if known, would be likely to materially effect the price of a stock.

So, if you're talking about having a hunch that a particular security is undervalued, and making a recommendation to someone to trade on it, that's not insider trading. If, however, your brother works for Acme Corporation, and he tells you in confidence that a competitor has made a tentative initial buyout offer, privately, offering $25 a share when Acme is trading at $15, and that if the deal is accepted by Acme's board, then it'll be made public on Tuesday, then trading on that information WOULD be insider trading. The offer isn't public knowledge, and a reasonable observer would expect the price of Acme, Co to jump from $15 to $25 on news of the buyout. Buying at $15 and then selling Tuesday morning at $25 will net you $10 a share in profits, but will also be likely to get you in trouble with the SEC.

As for the secont part, don't take this the wrong way but it's probably not a "good tip" either - I know just enough about equity research to know I'm not even close to qualified enough to start giving professional advice. It, in retrospect, may have worked out rather well, but with nothing to go on but a hunch it was just a lucky guess.

But hey, if you feel confident, then stop trading fake money and do it. Maybe you're a natural.

EDIT - missed this the first time around:

The other thing that i am having trouble with is that in the industry i work in a am privvy to little bits of info here and there. Saying that i'll watch the company i hear about and almost always it seem to have considerable gains.

Ok, that changes things slightly. IT depends what you mean by "little bits of info here and there." If, for example, you're talking about seeing a copy of a company's quarterly financial statements before its released and realizing they're likely to beat earnings forcasts by a fair amount, then yes, that's insider trading. If it's something where you follow the news pretty closely in your industry, and you read a story about a company securing a large contract, and then over the next couple of weeks their stock price continues to rise 50%, then you're probably in the clear.

As the information you're trading on is publicly available for anyone willing to look, then you should be in the clear. I'm in a professional organization related to my field which has a pretty rigorous code of conduct, and one of the mental exersizes they suggest whenever you find yourself in a potentially unclear ethical dilemma is to imagine that, a month or two from now, you were the feature of a newspaper story about your actions. Would the story be likely to spark outrage from rational, unbiased members of your industry? Out of your friends and family? If so, you're probably in the wrong.

I play with a bit of my IRA account, but a bit differently. I will buy a stock and then sell "covered calls" against the position. This normally works out pretty good, but, like last month, once in a while I will have the stock called away from me. I'm still waiting for a drop back to buy it again and restart the process. Overall, though, I am well ahead of the game using this process.

Richard - as far as options trading goes, that's fairly low risk, but you've clearly seen the downside - if a stock you've overlaid explodes in value, then you stand to "lose" a large potential gain. A covered call with a $51 strike price for a security trading at $49 seems pretty safe, until something unexpected happens and it jumps up to $75 a share. Basically, there's little downside risk (over and above that associated with the stock itself) but you're putting a cap on your upside potential, and if you suspect that a stock has good mid-term growth potential that's not necessarily the best trade to be making...

Thanks man. Makes me feel alot better.

No. I have no access to any information like that. No Financial stuff like that. NONE. none what so ever. My little bits of info are just pretty much like what you said. Hearing things about securing clients, so and so is getting a promotion and he did this for this client a few years ago, so and so is laying off x amount of employess etc. So and so is moving operations to this region. Shit like that.

No haha. Im a peon so to speak. I feel a bit better.

As for the good tip. It was just lunch room talk one day some people were talking about it and i joined in added my two cents and why i have my two cents and that perked a few ears. The guy did his own research for a week or so bought a few thousand dollars worth and presto.

Kinda pissed me off. But what do you do.

Dog Eat Dog.

A bit of history on my part.

Many years ago as a sophomore in HS (this would have been 1965) my family visited my grandmother in Florida. My GM was always interested in the stock market and subscribed to Baron's Magazine, a weekly stock market rag. While I was there I sat down and read through the then current edition. In that edition was an advertisement from an investment advisory firm for their "Winner Takes All" contest. The idea of the contest was to pick the 10 stocks on the NYSE that you expected to go up the largest percentage in the next 6 months. Your "portfolio" would be priced at the open on the opening day of the contest and the portfolio would consist of 1 share of each stock selected (no weighting). I thought that looked like fun, so, I sat down with slide rule in hand and started playing with old prices (from an old "S&P Stock Guide" that my GM had sitting around) compared to current prices. I had no idea that I was doing a bit of "Technical Analysis". I picked my 10 stocks and sent in my entry. Somewhere in the running of the contest my family moved from Maryland to Minnesota, so I dutifully notified the sponsor of the contest of my change of address. I sat for 6 months and watched my list SOAR. About 3 weeks after the end of the contest I received a letter from the sponsor explaining that they were still calculating (no computers back then), but that at that time I was well ahead and they wanted to know my "educational background and current business affiliations". I wrote them back that I was now a Junior in high school and was currently full time at that and so unaffiliated. ;) About 3 weeks after that I received a check for $1,000, a congratulatory letter and a booklet about the contest that was sent to each participant. In the booklet I was identified as "Richard King, a student who resides in Minnesota". My list was up 104.9% in that 6 months. The sponsor's list was up about 84% or so. They wouldn't tell me how many had entered the contest, but there were over 1,000 stocks selected. Winning that contest was a good ground breaker at the new school. I was written up in the Minneapolis newspaper and appeared on the local Sunday morning business television show. I never heard from the sponsor again. ;)

After graduating HS (1967) I worked my first summer at Paine, Weber (now part of UBS Securities). The next summer and several years after that I worked at White, Weld & Co. (now part of Merrill Lynch). While at WW I got my Series 7, studying on my own time. I worked on the trading desk and in the back office, including setting up a system for tracking new accounts to handle what was then a brand new product called "Options". ;) I got downsized in the recession of 1973/4 and went to an electronics school which led to my starting the studio business that I had for a while in Minnesota. Overall, a fun time was had by all in that period, including me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Weld_&_Co.

Atom Bomb - you're walking a fine line, then. If there's a press release on the company's site to collaborate anything you've heard, you're in the clear, but having a friend who works there telly ou, "yeah, we're planning to lay off 10% of the staff next Tuesday - no one knows yet," and then trading on that will potentially get you in trouble.

My dad used to have a lot of shares. I asked him for trading advice beause I was interested. This is what he said...

"Don't. Just don't. It's a mugs game."

I took his advice to the letter.

Back