Still allergic to digital ?

The guy I linked to had another video about speaker cables, and his view on the physics just didn't square with me at all. Ampp direct to speakers - no crossover, a single fullrange driver. It had a humpo in the frequency response that made it (enter lovely descriptive words that I can't remember) The speaker redesigned the speaker driver coil with copper wire that was less circular - and of course this fixed the problem simply. Non circular cable would simply perform differently because it would wind differently, impacting on the magnetism it could produce, and perhaps on the impedance to a teeny degree. I find this kind of 'science' questionable in the extreme. The hifi folk seem to breath it in and sprout it out as factual? Always subjective objective.

The guy I linked to had another video about speaker cables, and his view on the physics just didn't square with me at all. Ampp direct to speakers - no crossover, a single fullrange driver. It had a humpo in the frequency response that made it (enter lovely descriptive words that I can't remember) The speaker redesigned the speaker driver coil with copper wire that was less circular - and of course this fixed the problem simply. Non circular cable would simply perform differently because it would wind differently, impacting on the magnetism it could produce, and perhaps on the impedance to a teeny degree. I find this kind of 'science' questionable in the extreme. The hifi folk seem to breath it in and sprout it out as factual? Always subjective objective.
That the pseudo-science BS. Exists in many pursuits/fields. Same mentality behind urban myths and conspiracy theories. Make an erroneous (or fictitious) connection, let the human brain do the rest.

I think this has been done to death with the debate. I would like to think that both formats can co exist. Thats it for done for me

Last edited:
Reactions: RFR
Funny thing is that the thread wasn't supposed to be anything debatable. I just wanted to know what happened to the thread that was debatable.
But some of us love to chat and I often like the way threads assume their own shape and go off in unpredictable directions.

I always get a chuckle out of some of the "high end audio" babble. Speaker cables that are directional (speaker outputs are AC by nature), cable lifters to improve sound by getting it off the floor (they were glass and ceramic insulators for hi-tension power cables), magic stones that had to be placed precisely on equipment, speaker cables with multi gauge wires to let the highs go down the small wires and lows go down the large wires.

Everyone knows that all you need is a pyramid to focus the celestial energies!

Funny thing is that the thread wasn't supposed to be anything debatable. I just wanted to know what happened to the thread that was debatable.
But some of us love to chat and I often like the way threads assume their own shape and go off in unpredictable directions.
I must have said that like 2 or 3 times in the thread.

IT WASNT A DEBATE.

It was an educational beatdown on a troll.

Ah, but that needs accompanying by explanation. As Orwell said, we all have opinions but some opinions are more valid than others. That’s where belief sneaks in and trips people up!

Speaker cables that are directional (speaker outputs are AC by nature), cable lifters to improve sound by getting it off the floor
You see, by raising the speaker cable off the floor, the electrons in the cable experience a lesser gravitational pull from the earth, allowing a more precise signal, which only a true analogue audiophile can appreciate.

You see, by raising the speaker cable off the floor, the electrons in the cable experience a lesser gravitational pull from the earth, allowing a more precise signal, which only a true analogue audiophile can appreciate.
Yup!

Something like this is why I’ll never understand how engineers point their condenser mics sideways, or worse: upside down.

I don’t want a freaking upside down sound!

Yup!

Something like this is why I’ll never understand how engineers point their condenser mics sideways, or worse: upside down.

I don’t want a freaking upside down sound!
I go one step further towards audiophile perfection. I’ll reverse my headphones . Right side on left ear, left side on right.
This is for training the left and right brain. Works like a charm. At first you won’t notice much, but after a few thousand hours, 10,000 to be exact, you’ll hear music like you’ve never heard it before. :D

I go one step further towards audiophile perfection. I’ll reverse my headphones . Right side on left ear, left side on right.
This is for training the left and right brain. Works like a charm. At first you won’t notice much, but after a few thousand hours, 10,000 to be exact, you’ll hear music like you’ve never heard it before. :D
I take a guitar cable out from the amp head and then split it. One going into a cabinet, and other going into my ear so I can get the purest tone in my brain.

Bone transducers...Scuba headphones. You hear it right in your brain.
whatis-bonephones-f_mobile.png

Bone transducers...Scuba headphones. You hear it right in your brain.
whatis-bonephones-f_mobile.png
I’ve read studies where people can hear well over 20 kHz....if using specialized equipment for bone conduction or brain scans.

People gloat they can hear well over that threshold but I almost never believe them because I doubt they even have a system capable of playing those frequencies.

I’ve read studies where people can hear well over 20 kHz....if using specialized equipment for bone conduction or brain scans.

People gloat they can hear well over that threshold but I almost never believe them because I doubt they even have a system capable of playing those frequencies.
Or media that's producing frequencies over 20khz.

If anyone wants to send me a 4-track cassette recorder... I'm willing to test the "dark side". Or is "Digital" the "dark side"? Either way... show me the light. ;)

I often ask my little Jack Russell to give me feedback about my mixes 🥰

I often ask my little Jack Russell to give me feedback about my mixes 🥰
But she normally just wants to go out and have a poo in the garden and chase rats. Not the best sound engineer even though her range is way better than mine. My tinnitus from many years of loud rock makes mine drop off abruptly around 3k sadly

Back