Still allergic to digital ?

Live performance is just about the only paid gig these days. What's "record sales"?
I agree with you, but you kind of took my one sentence out of context.

I was never talking about record sales, or being paid for anything related to music.

Just that recording analog is contributing to real old fashioned musicianship. As in get a guitar or two, a bass, drums, vocalist (s) to play and record music.

Yeah, you can do the same thing with digital, but old school lends itself to real musicians more.

Has Recycle gone ?
It would appear so. There's no member account listed, probably a thing that happens when someone is banned.

They openly admitted (even smugly pronounced) they were intentionally creating discord. Good riddance.

On a semi-related note, I'm glad to see you're still here despite that meltdown a week or two ago. It was an entertaining read. lol Stay on top of your health and stay with us, steer away from the rowdy/useless parts of the forum and there's quite a bit of good to be found here.

RFR said:
I agree with you, but you kind of took my one sentence out of context.

I was never talking about record sales, or being paid for anything related to music.

Just that recording analog is contributing to real old fashioned musicianship. As in get a guitar or two, a bass, drums, vocalist (s) to play and record music.

Yeah, you can do the same thing with digital, but old school lends itself to real musicians more.

It's a tangental thought for sure - not trying to take anything out of context. I get that the over-reliance on digital tools can make the art of actually performing great music less of a necessity. There's loopz, beatz, phroducaz.

You could probably go back and autotune Ozzy's vocals on War Pigs, but it would sound wrong. It's great the way it is.

There's just something about going to tape that isn't necessarily there in digital. The technology is getting better with tape emulators and saturation plugs but it's interesting that often a producer that wants that vibe in digital will do something like choose a specific room to cut the drum tracks or something, and print to a real tape machine then transfer. For some people the hybrid approach might be the easiest way to get that vibe.

I just think it's sad seeing the demise of the record industry and listening to a lot of high profile musicians talking about how covid suspended the main source of income. Thinking of live performance, it's encouraging going to a gig or an open mic or something and hearing players - and a lot of talented younger players - basically keeping real music alive by being passionate enough about it to learn their craft.

Reactions: RFR
Yes it is sad seeing the demise .

But the younger crop is refreshing to see.

Let’s just hope their enthusiasm will last and they don’t fall into the ultimate realization there’s no money or fame in it for them.

Should a few achieve some measure of success, that may inspire others.

For most, doing music, either recording or performing, seems to be a labor of love.

Just last night I spoke to a fella who routinely runs his daw through a reel to reel on off tape monitor. He uses it as a sort of insert on the stereo bus!

It's a tangental thought for sure - not trying to take anything out of context. I get that the over-reliance on digital tools can make the art of actually performing great music less of a necessity. There's loopz, beatz, phroducaz.

You could probably go back and autotune Ozzy's vocals on War Pigs, but it would sound wrong. It's great the way it is.

There's just something about going to tape that isn't necessarily there in digital. The technology is getting better with tape emulators and saturation plugs but it's interesting that often a producer that wants that vibe in digital will do something like choose a specific room to cut the drum tracks or something, and print to a real tape machine then transfer. For some people the hybrid approach might be the easiest way to get that vibe.

I just think it's sad seeing the demise of the record industry and listening to a lot of high profile musicians talking about how covid suspended the main source of income. Thinking of live performance, it's encouraging going to a gig or an open mic or something and hearing players - and a lot of talented younger players - basically keeping real music alive by being passionate enough about it to learn their craft.
In my recent cover of the Beatles (on another forum) one guy said I had pitch problems and need to use melodyne, and another said I should look at the newest mixes and emulate.

I didn’t respond to either one of them. I’m not going to use pitch correction on a song from the 60s. Yeah, I’m not Paul McCartney, but I can tell when my singing sucks and when it doesn’t. It wasn’t bad by any stretch.

And the newest mixes? Why do I have to conform to those standards, especially on a song like that one? That’s just silly.

Now, if someone tells me that my cymbals are too loud or my guitars are too quiet, THAT I’m very appreciative of. That’s something that still fits within the scope of what I’m trying to do.

Maybe we can learn to program AI (or maybe it can program itself?) to pay its dues, struggle, starve and persevere with a little heart, a little soul, and maybe some groupie action off to the side in a gut wrenching auditory expression of "the human condition", resulting in outrageous stardom and buckets upon buckets of hits.

"Dude, have you heard the new single by xvqz-7? It's called Buffer Stack Overflow!"

Hmmmm....
I heard it, not as good as MSFTW12's metal hit - Blue Screen of Death!

There will be producers and record companies who embrace AI because it will lower costs. Why pay writers, musicians and producers for "product" when an AI can make a million seller that's hot on the streaming platforms and club circuit. Keep all the profits internal. It's hard to say if it will really be a commercial success.

There will always be people who play instruments and keep making up songs that connect with people. Who's going to pay tickets to see a computer on stage at a concert? Eventually people want to engage with other people.

Yeah, you can do the same thing with digital, but old school lends itself to real musicians more
For me there are two things wrong with that notion.
Firstly, the reality of the world is that the overwhelming number of recording done in this world today is done digitally. So does that mean that most recording does not lend itself to real musicians ?
Secondly, most of the greatest music that we love and lionize from the days where there was no digital recording, was not done with everyone in the same room, knocked out in one go and mixed the next day. Overdubs were a standard part of recording. The actual number of songs and albums that were done the way you describe are actually few and far between. A great album like "Rumours", every part of that was put together separately. And embarrassingly often, even when a band did play together, parts were added, subtracted, replaced....
Your argument sounds like one not between analog and digital, but between multitracking and whatever was there before.

To be clear, just because someone is recording in an all digital format doesn't mean they have to use every digital tool at their disposal. Many artists choose to not use autotune, or even click tracks, and just want the digital workflow for convenience, ease, cost savings, or whatever. The tools used are a choice made by the artist, producer, and engineer.

It would appear so. There's no member account listed, probably a thing that happens when someone is banned.

They openly admitted (even smugly pronounced) they were intentionally creating discord. Good riddance.

On a semi-related note, I'm glad to see you're still here despite that meltdown a week or two ago. It was an entertaining read. lol Stay on top of your health and stay with us, steer away from the rowdy/useless parts of the forum and there's quite a bit of good to be found here.
Thanks, I was not on the best of form mentally. We all struggle at times

Ok.....you're allowed to go back in time to record Beethoven on piano. How cool! You can bring either an analog setup or a DAW / digital setup to do the recording...but not both. Which do you bring? Why? Not making a point here.....but maybe few good points will be made in the answers.

Mick

Regarding digital v analalogue, their is no logical reason to still use analogue stuff other than it is a bit of fun and tactile and a challenge, like having a classic old car.

For me there are two things wrong with that notion.
Firstly, the reality of the world is that the overwhelming number of recording done in this world today is done digitally. So does that mean that most recording does not lend itself to real musicians ?
Secondly, most of the greatest music that we love and lionize from the days where there was no digital recording, was not done with everyone in the same room, knocked out in one go and mixed the next day. Overdubs were a standard part of recording. The actual number of songs and albums that were done the way you describe are actually few and far between. A great album like "Rumours", every part of that was put together separately. And embarrassingly often, even when a band did play together, parts were added, subtracted, replaced....
Your argument sounds like one not between analog and digital, but between multitracking and whatever was there before.
I think you just like to debate/argue.
Never was I implying that music should only be done with the whole band in the room.
If that was the case all we’d need is some two channel recorder, mics and mixing board. (If you wanted stereo)
And that could be done analog or digital.

Ok.....you're allowed to go back in time to record Beethoven on piano. How cool! You can bring either an analog setup or a DAW / digital setup to do the recording...but not both. Which do you bring? Why? Not making a point here.....but maybe few good points will be made in the answers.

Mick
The obvious benefits of digital IMO is the point of the thought exercise. But they would both 'work' fine if we assume both are indestructible with no objective differences in durability, which of course isn't the actual reality. And then we can spiral down the same wormhole of discussion for the 27th page in a month.

Back