Stifled creativity. Inspiration. I feel like dying.

A couple of things to think about...

1. Just cuz' you hate a job that pays well doesn't mean you need to quit & start waiting tables or whatever. Look for a different job that pays well.

2. The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence. If you quit your job to do more music, you'll probably get frustrated because you can't afford a new guitar or whatever gear you want to further your music. Having an income gives you opportunities you wouldn't have otherwise. The cost, as you've discovered, is your time, though.

The truth is, the grass is greener where you water it. (I'm not sure how that applies here, but something to keep in mind.)

3. Busy-ness does kill creativity - whether it's work, or watching TV or coaching kid's sports. Schedule time away from other activities for music.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth of advice.

Xtjdx,

Shit happens. You need to learn to deal with it.

Yeah, you seem pretty young to have that kind of income. Congratulations. Set priorities and get on with it. I don't think you realize what you have. It took me a few more years to figure out what I actually wanted to do as a career before I reached your level of income. At times it was a struggle - crappy jobs, miserable people to work with, too much month at the end of the money.

Do you like your job? Think about what you can do to make it inspiring or enjoyable work. Stick with it for at least a year and think about where you want to be in 10 years. Weigh out the pros and cons. Paying a mortgage? Travel, fame and fortune? Locked in a substance abuse treatment center? Set realistic goals. What can you do to make it better? Are you willing to sacrifice 10 bucks an hour to have a job you want to do? Is it even necessary?

Creativity and songwriting have nothing whatsoever to do with 9 to 5. If you're stressed out, get some rest, eat right, exercise and concentrate on here and now, instead of what the fuck. Have fun. Even the best songwriters can have dry spells. When I write music, it's as though it was channeled from somewhere else and I'm just the instrument that ends up interpreting it. I don't know what the fuck causes it, and I can't order it to happen.

What you *can* do is work on your musicianship. Practice. Get your chops up. Listen to new music. Once you start to break barriers you might sit down one day, and the most amazing thing you've ever done just falls out of nowhere. Don't punish yourself for being human like the rest of us.

sl

Aw man i COMPLETELY understand this guy right here. When I first started work I foun no time for music. 8 hours is a lot ot lose in a day. Then you have mates/gf to see or whatever... no quality time. My trick is to set aside time everyday even just 30mins at some point to either listen/play music Have the radio on as much as poss. Keep listening. And if you have a shit day at work and you think your going nowhere and have got a bum deal then use that to motivate you. The amount of times I get home and think 'I cant wait to quit the day job' and go and write something.

I try to compartmentise (is that even a word) my time. When at work Im just thinking - this is paying for my studio. Look at everyone else gonna be here til they die or somthing. IM A SONGWRITER HAHAhah... This is exactly what it is: a day job. And il even be on windows word at work writing out lyrics.

Im writing the best stuff now. The shock of having a 9-5 job has lit my creative fire. I want to get OUT!

Benreturns said:
Aw man i COMPLETELY understand this guy right here. When I first started work I foun no time for music. 8 hours is a lot ot lose in a day. Then you have mates/gf to see or whatever... no quality time!
That is a totally reasonable and valid statement. It happens to every young adult. It's part of life.

This on the other hand-
xtjdx said:
So, I'm pretty fresh out of college.
I'm in a well paying 9 to 5 job ($25/hr.).I have been working at this particular job for a month and a half now. Tonight, I attempted to write some music, as I hadn't had a chance to do any in awhile.
After 3 hours coming up only with things I hated, I have decided that 9 to 5 has killed any creativity that I had.
I am so depressed at this point.
Holy hell.
and this-
I feel like dying.
Sounds like an overdramatic little girl.

Just my opinion though. :) But you're all forced to agree with it or I'll send a mob of angry midgets over to throw you around. :mad:

ignoring the posts and answering your question:

i go and see shows.. there's nothing more inspirational than seeing a band really rockin' out live; it makes me want to go home and write songs so i can go do the same. if you're really in a rut then listen to some of your favourite songs and then just rip them off. ;)

Hey, more people are getting it! Cool!
Well, I found out today that my boss is going to be out for a few weeks. So instead of just being in a support-level position, I am going to be the boss of my whole department.
Isn't that a kicker?
Anyway, I have thought long and hard about all the things said in here (the good and the flames), and have decided that I am being a dumbass about it and do have a great opportunity here.
However, to clarify, the "I feel like dying" part was purely facetious, and the "I tried for 3 hours" part is something that has described every other day for the past month and a half for me. It seems that I'm on a pretty bad dryspell right now.
Sorry if I came off as whiney, braggy, emo, or whatever else. Today kind of made me realize that I do have a great opportunity here and have been more unwelcoming than anything toward it. So, I thank everyone who posted here, even if it was just to talk shit. Kind of made me think about things a whole lot differently. Neat.

xtjdx said:
Hey, more people are getting it! Cool!
Well, I found out today that my boss is going to be out for a few weeks. So instead of just being in a support-level position, I am going to be the boss of my whole department.
Isn't that a kicker?
Anyway, I have thought long and hard about all the things said in here (the good and the flames), and have decided that I am being a dumbass about it and do have a great opportunity here.
However, to clarify, the "I feel like dying" part was purely facetious, and the "I tried for 3 hours" part is something that has described every other day for the past month and a half for me. It seems that I'm on a pretty bad dryspell right now.
Sorry if I came off as whiney, braggy, emo, or whatever else. Today kind of made me realize that I do have a great opportunity here and have been more unwelcoming than anything toward it. So, I thank everyone who posted here, even if it was just to talk shit. Kind of made me think about things a whole lot differently. Neat.

Bravo!

Welcome to manhood!

shiatzu said:
ignoring the posts and answering your question:

i go and see shows.. there's nothing more inspirational than seeing a band really rockin' out live; it makes me want to go home and write songs so i can go do the same. if you're really in a rut then listen to some of your favourite songs and then just rip them off. ;)
Amen to inspiring live shows! Seeing other artists perform is an absolute creative catalyst.

Back