Stephen Paul's tunes

MrZekeMan

I know most of you here have probably already listened to Stephen Paul's tunes, but for those of you that haven't, here is the URL:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/99/stephen_paul.html

You can get an idea of what his mics can do. Listen to the incredible airy quality to the vocals on "Brand New Day"

Not to mention what an incredible songsmith/guitarplayer/singer he is. This particular tune is as good as anything you'll hear getting radio play, IMO. It is in fact better than most.

Taylor

I'm not going to get into an artistic critique of Stephen's work but...

The thing I like about him is that he is a recording artist who happens to be a genius with microphones.

Steve
www.piemusic.com

Well, I listened to some of his stuff, and all I can say is . . .

at least he's a (supposed) genius with microphones. :D

(spam crusade aside)

chessrock said:

(spam crusade aside)
Well, I listened to some of his stuff, and all I can say is. . .

I really like it a lot.

I like not only the sonic quality of the recordings, but I like the songs, and the musicianship. I like all different types of music, and the type of music he plays is very appealing to me. I also like songs that say something lyrically. His lyrics reveal a kindness, and a concern for other people and the plight of the world.

It's my opinion that his stuff is better than much of the crap on the radio these days. Maybe it doesn't appeal to you guys. That's fine.

I don't know what you meant by your silly "(spam crusade aside)" reference. Maybe you think I'm some kind of spammer for Stephen Paul. If so, you need to get a grip.

As for this statement:

chessrock said:
. . .at least he's a (supposed) genius with microphones. :D
Do you have some kind of problem with giving credit where credit is due? His ability where microphone's are concerned is not in question. Certainly not by anyone with their head out of the sand. Some of the biggest names, use his mics exclusively.

Taylor

MrZekeMan said:
I like not only the sonic quality of the recordings, but I like the songs, and the musicianship.

The guy could obviously play the guitar, and has a reputation as an accomplished musician. It's obvious you like his stuff, else I suppose you wouldn't have posted it. :D I'm glad you like it. Appreciation of music is a good thing. I personally don't like it, as I think I implied in my post, and that's okay too. I don't expect you to like all the stuff I like, either. :D

I also like songs that say something lyrically. His lyrics reveal a kindness, and a concern for other people and the plight of the world.

Let's see . . . "Brand new day, take my spirit away. Brand new day, take me flying. Brand new day something something something leave me crying."

I guess to some people, those lyrics could be very impactful and moving. To me, it's a tad sappy. Kind of makes me hungry for pancakes and syrup. So what if I think his stuff is worthy of fabric softner commercials (with that fluffy Snuggle Bear or whatever the heck it is)? That's just my opinion. What harm is it?

It's my opinion that his stuff is better than much of the crap on the radio these days. Maybe it doesn't appeal to you guys. That's fine.

Forgive me, but it doesn't sound to me like it is fine with you. In fact, I'd guess it upsets you that someone doesn't like what you like and has different taste.

Maybe you think I'm some kind of spammer for Stephen Paul. If so, you need to get a grip.

I never said anyone was a spammer for the guy. But there was a time where it seemed like everywhere I went people were joining together to try and promote his work, as if there was some sort of higher cause behind it.

And that's fine. What irks me is that if you really want to do good, go volunteer at your local children's hospital. It's really good for the soul, and the kids love entertainment of any kind. Hell, you don't even have to play for them -- just bring your guitar, and let them fool around with it. They all love anything that has to do with music, and it seems like the poor guys are bored stiff. :D

Do you have some kind of problem with giving credit where credit is due? His ability where microphone's are concerned is not in question.

I have no idea what this guy has done for the mic world. If anyone would care to enlighten me, I'm all ears (eyes). For someone who's supposedly accomplished so much, there sure seems to be very little written about him in the way of books, magazines and other forms of media . . . aside from a loyal (and sometimes rather creepy) cult following on the web. Yet I seem to have trouble finding consistant, relevant, historically-accurate accounts of his accomplishments and contributions to microphone technology.

I'm interested in learning more about him. But even if the guy invented the damn microphone, that doesn't mean I have to like his freakin' sappy music! :D

I posted this on another site a year ago... It should explain a tiny bit of nothing, but here it is anyway:

Who is Stephen Paul? It's not your fault. You can thank Neumann and Mix for that one.

For that I encourage you go visit his MP3 site and view the Info tab. It won't tell you anything of acheivements in the microphone industry, but you can get a good background.

As for details of his acheivements, which have gone publically uncredited for all these years and STILL are (which is why the question of: "Who is Stephen Paul?" has been brought-up), I KNOW the details are WAY too numberous to list, but lets just say Stephen's first few years of work of modding actual Neumann and AKG diaphragms (don't quote me as I really don't know for sure, but if I'm not mistaken, he's STILL the ONLY who has literally modded the actual diaphragm) in the 70's is WHY we have ALL of these other microphone companies out there today! YES, his early work made it possible for ALL of these other microphone companies today! You'd be surprised how much Neumann got from him; which STILL goes uncredited!!! And you'd be surprised what modern work of his the Chinese has gotten a hold of and tried to copy; even down to the resistors!!!

I really wish SPA's website was ready as you'd find a phenomenal amount of history and education there, but it's not ready yet. You can see a few trial stages though. www.spaudio.com

THEN I encourage you to ask around the biggest studio "big wiggs" you can get to talk. See if they know who Stephen Paul is. Ask them if they have any Stephen Paul or Stephen Paul Audio modded U47s, Elam 251s, M49s, M50s, U87s, U67s, C12s, etc. or other SP or SPA modded mic available for use. If the studio has ever recorded the likes of Celine Dion, Faith Hill, Mariah Carey, Barbra Streisand, Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, or any other major artists where the vocals are the focus of talent, chances are they have one or can get one ahold of one. Anotherwords, you have heard an SP or SPA modded something or other on probably about 85-90% of your Top 40s for the past 15-20 years!

By the way, it is NO big secret to ANYONE really deep in this industry that a debate has been going-on for many, many years over the dependability of diaphragm thicknesses. There are 2 schools of thought. The first being advocated by Klaus Heyne of German Masterworks ( www.germanmasterworks.com ) (by the way, you can read an interview of Klaus here: www.prosoundweb.com/recor...eyne.shtml ) and Neumann (it's even been debated on Neumann's Pinboard numberous times). It's the idea of any diaphragm that is thinner than 6 microns is simply undependable. The other school of thought being advocated by Stephen Paul Audio in that the thinner, the better, and are VERY dependable; proven by the tens of thousands in use around the ENTIRE globe for the past 15-20 years. 3 micron wasn't TOUCHED by ANYONE else until VERY recently. Now, SPA is doing .6 micron last I heard! Probably even thinner now!!!

Anyhow, that ought to give you an idea... REALLY though, ask-around!

*End of text*

By the way, last I heard now, he's doing down to .4 micron Mylar diaphragms now! Maybe it'll take Godzilla to see that though... But shhh... I don't know anything... I'm serious.

A quick note here,
I've spent many an hour with Mr Stephen Paul and he does indeed possess an extraordinary intellect. To say he is a genius is not an overstatement by any comparison. To me, saying that he is a genius only when it comes to microphones is a fairly myopic statement. Of course anybody is free to say whatever the hell they want about the man, (if I'm not in the same room;) I'm just passing on my personal experience.

Best,

Brent Casey
Studio Projects Microphones
877-563-6335

chessrock said:

(spam crusade aside)

Would it be possible for you to twist someone's words around any more, for the purpose of making it sound like they're saying something they are not?
chessrock said:
Forgive me, but it doesn't sound to me like it is fine with you. In fact, I'd guess it upsets you that someone doesn't like what you like and has different taste.
Please point to the words in my original post that you used to formulate this assertion. I explained why I liked his music. I said that maybe some people don't agree with me. I said: "That's fine."

I meant it. If you desire to believe I didn't, your entitled to your opinion, no matter how out of line with that fact.
chessrock said:
I never said anyone was a spammer for the guy.
Then what exactly did you mean by this comment? And, to whom was it directed?
(spam crusade aside)
Please point to where the "spam crusade" exists in this thread, and name all the participants.
chessrock said:
I never said anyone was a spammer for the guy. But there was a time where it seemed like everywhere I went people were joining together to try and promote his work, as if there was some sort of higher cause behind it.

And that's fine.
Well it seems to me, that indeed you are the one that has a problem with differing opinions, and a problem with how his music affects other people. If other people feel they are stirred in a positive way by his music, and they see a higher cause behind it, why should that irritate you?
chessrock said:
And that's fine. What irks me is that if you really want to do good, go volunteer at your local children's hospital. It's really good for the soul. . .
Well this is the silliest, lamest, and most hilariously ludicrous argument you have put forward to date, in all your self rightous ramblings, past and present. And, it is not going to work in it's intending purpose, that is, to divert attention away from the subject at hand.

If your silly attention diverting argument that you put forward here has any validity, then there is no good whatsoever in any music that promotes good, or makes a statement. The reason being, because said musician could be volunteering in a children's hospital. The simple fact, is that both are worthwhile pursuits, and one doesn't negate the other.

Volunteer work to help children is good, as is other types of volunteer work. Making beautiful music that says something, and stirs up positive emotions in people is good as well.
chessrock said:
I have no idea what this guy has done for the mic world. If anyone would care to enlighten me, I'm all ears (eyes).
Maybe someone would care to take the time to enlighten you. I wouldn't. You're a waste of time to me. My past experiences with you have left me with the opinion that you don't want to be enlightened about anything, you just want to argue. If you don't already know who Stephen Paul is, you don't want to know who he is. You have your own reasons for that. I can do without delving into your issues.
chessrock said:
But even if the guy invented the damn microphone, that doesn't mean I have to like his freakin' sappy music! :D
No one said you did slick. When someone posts an MP3, do they do so with the intent that everyone must like it? Is there a song in existence that everyone likes? Geez. . .

Get over yourself.

Taylor

MrZekeMan said:
You're a waste of time to me. My past experiences with you have left me with the opinion that you don't want to be enlightened about anything, you just want to argue. If you don't already know who Stephen Paul is, you don't want to know who he is. You have your own reasons for that. I can do without delving into your issues.

Bla-bla Bla-bla bla bla bla. :D So I take that to mean that you don't know either, which is okay. Most don't. Don't get me wrong, here . . . I know the guy is/was an accomplished musician. I know he's hung out with some big-names, is buddies with Jackson Brown, etc. and is highly-respected in the AE ranks. I know he mods microphones, and command anywhere from 10K to 10 gazillion bucks, :D and everone thinks they're wonderful, etc. etc. etc. Obviously, I don't doubt his skills. There seems to be a lot of agreement and factual information in that department.

Where things start to get fuzzy for me is the part where Stephen becomes to mics what the Beatles are to music. Then there's the part where Mr. Paul haplessly becomes the victim of an evil microphone empire who steals his brilliant ideas without giving him a red cent for his efforts. And the part where St. Stephen gives his very soul to the audio world without a thought for his own well-being. And it gets cloudy during the part where the Chinese rape the very essence of his work and mercilessly cast him aside, and similar tidbits.

And there are a million other accounts in between. Some of it sounds like there could be a grain to it. Some of it, however, doesn't quite ad up (like how does a guy who can command $10K just for fiddling around with a mic become a "poor victim" to an industry?). Some of it sounds like it could be a bit sensationalized; one part truth, with two parts urban myth, rumor, with a dash of BS thrown in for spice. Those are the points I'm having trouble sorting through, and yes, a little clarification would be nice -- an area where you have been of absolutely no use, Zeke. :D And yes, I am interested, thank you. Enquiring minds want to know.

For now, all I can say for sure is the guy is/was a great guitarist, who's also an expert on mics, and has such a touch with them that he can charge a lot of dough for his work on them. And I can deduce that he's also a drama queen who likes to play the "pitty me" role, has zero people skills, and writes fluffy music.

Chessrock, if you REALLY want to learn more about Stephen,
you can contact him directly at his forum at recording.org
He deserves a high degree of respect for him as a person,
and you probably would agree if you get to know him better.
Even if he wasn't a microphone "genius", he possesses a brillant
mind and is genuinely helpful, with a good sense of humor.

Anyone who faces the medical challenges he does is going to have some "down" days. In fact, he handles things like that better than most anyone who comments on him, as far as I can tell. There's no reason to attempt to belittle him in public by calling him a "drama queen".

Chris

You are so predictable it is comical, yet tiring after the umpteenth time. You always follow the same pattern.

You can't stand for anyone to receive admiration. So when it happens, you react by tearing the person down. You have some kind of inferiority complex because apparantly no one admires you for anything. So to compensate, instead of simply saying you don't care for someones music, or it just doesn't suit your personal tastes, you come up with all of your transparant garbage questioning of his accomplishments, and your bizarre, nonsensical accusations of a "spam crusade".

and yes, a little clarification would be nice -- an area where you have been of absolutely no use, Zeke.
I think I made it quite clear that I'm not going to waste my time educating you. I started a thread offering anyone who was interested, to check out some downloads of Stephen Paul's music. I did that because I enjoy the tunes very much, and they have been getting regular play here. You made it a thread about trying to tear someone down in order to bolster your own sad low self-esteem. I feel no obligation to engage your imbecility any further than I personally choose.

Taylor

MrZekeMan said:
You are so predictable it is comical, yet tiring after the umpteenth time. You always follow the same pattern.

You can't stand for anyone to receive admiration. So when it happens, you react by tearing the person down. You have some kind of inferiority complex because apparantly no one admires you for anything. So to compensate, instead of simply saying you don't care for someones music, or it just doesn't suit your personal tastes, you come up with all of your transparant garbage questioning of his accomplishments, and your bizarre, nonsensical accusations of a "spam crusade".

Predictable? I could say the same for you, Zeke. Some people just can't stand to have their heros questioned. Someone has an opinion of their own, or maybe they don't just blindly hand out their trust / admiration / idolization easily without some justification. Maybe they've been mislead in the past, and just don't trust people with that much power over other people's opinions.

So I question that person's intentions, and others (including Zeke), view it as some sort of personal attack or vendetta; or maybe they just don't like to think that their heros can have faults. I'm not sure, but it's puzzling.

Then they try and psychoanalyze what that person's motivations are; again assuming the person's only intention is to hurt or bring people down in order to compensate for when they were beaten as a child or the ever-popular inferiority complex idea or whatever it may be. :D

When you boil it all down, I just don't like the dude's music, and I'm trying to figure out why a guy who seems like such a fruit cake is able to garner so much blind loyalty. It's a car crash I'm willing to slow down for to get a look at, because for all I know I could be wrong, and I'd like to be wrong; the story seems interesting enough to me to where it would be worth it.

As for this whole ego thing, I obviously don't go around touting my own work, aside from a few solicitations for comments in the mp3 clinic, which you have been generous to offer your opinions on in the past, and I thank you for it, Zeke (giving credit where it's due). If I were concerned about recognition, I might consider using my real name, or I might even throw a shoutout to my studio name from time to time . . . but I don't need any of that crap to discuss things with people, so I go under a random, pointless name like chessrock. What the hell is a chessrock anyway? :D

That's my point. Who is chessrock, but who the hell is Stephen Paul, and why can't I bash him? People bash our president all the time, and he's aspired to a position and achieved things none of us could ever dream of achieving in our lifetimes. Yet we bash him -- is it because we need to bring people down, or is it because he isn't perfect and some of us don't like the guy?

Whoever Stephen Paul is, I'm assuming he's a human being like the rest of us, so I'm not putting him on any pedistals untill I have some grounds for doing so. Untill that time, I'm going by what I do know about him, which is a combination of both good and bad; kind of like most people I can think of. But only much more controversial with a lot of myth and mystery it would be interesting to sort out.

Damn chessrock, talk about really getting into it, kinda have a "sour attitude" and high doubt about a guy (as it shows in your writing in this thread), when you yourself say you know nothing about the guy... All while the guy's not even here!

P.S. You want "proof" of things it seems... Well, you best be getting to know mic, capsule, and diaphragm design VERY well and have a look inside damn near EVERY large diaphragm condenser mic since its exsistence! THEN you'll have your "proof"!

Another note... Go call Neumann... Tell them you're looking into capsule work for a Neumann KM-53 or KM-54... Guess what they'll tell you... Um, we can't do that type of work. Try Stephen Paul Audio.

And why is that the answer? Because they're literally the only one on the planet that can do it! Just think about that for a sec...

Plus, THAT alone is enough reason to be charging much more than they charge; which by the way, I KNOW the pricing mostly has to do with parts! We're talking rare, TRUE world-class stuff here! It's not going to come as cheap as even the cheap as the NTK or at even at times, as cheap as any of Neumann's most expensive current mics!

And even then, the bit they do make in labor... You think they're driving 'round town in Lamborghinis and Ferraris? Well, I sure as hell know it's not even nearly enough to pay for Stephen's medical bills! And I could go on with the tiny bit I know about the financial status of SPA, but I won't!

Hell, go ask Karl at Neumann who we can thank for 3 micron Mylar diaphragms and why it's become somewhat common now.

Last edited:
God, I do need a vacation.

I know who NW Soundman is, too, by the way, and let me tell you: this guy is the Stephen Paul of cheap tube preamp modifications in my book. :D Send him your sow's ear and he'll send you back a silk purse. All that and none of the attitude. Can't beat it.

well, where this thread has gone is why i said i liked him but let's not get into a critique of his music...

stephen is a songwriter and recording artist. is he the best at it? absolutely not. i think he's good but i could see others thinking much better of his art and others much worse.

now, as a microphone innovator, he is preeminent. as a musician, i like knowing that stephen is a recording artist creating microphones. i think it makes him more sensitive to the needs of the artist.

on the other hand, leo fender was an extremely innovative guitar and amp designer and i'm not sure he even played the guitar. i know he preferred the texas playboys over hendrix and clapton.

Last edited:
You don't have to like the style of music to admit that the guy is a talented song writer, and talented guitar player and a pretty good singer. Not all music should be like the intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus-outro crap they make you listen to on the radio.

And as for that mic he's singing on... I want one. His vocals sound so much more real than what you hear on most recordings.

chessrock,

if you were merely interested in finding out about Stephen Paul, Recording Engineer gave you enough of a starting point, as well as an excellent overview of the the man and his accomplishments. I notice you chose not to respond to any of his points, rather chosing to pick a fight with Zeke.

we all know you delight in picking on sacred cows. no one is denying there is real value in having a resident cynic/court jester around to challenge lazy thinking and icons on pedestals. But is there ANY possibility in your mind that you may have picked the wrong target this time? Does ignorance of his accomplishments justify implying his contributions are over-rated or non-existent? It's an interesting twist on "innocent until proven guilty". The Chessrock corollary: "overrated poseur until i arbitrarily decide he's not."

It seems like maybe there is more here than meets the eye, given the fact that you are extremely reluctant to give the man even part of what is universally accepted as his due. recording engineers points are not idol-worshipping bullshit.

Did you have some negative experience with stephen paul before? Or are you simply against anyone who has a business relationship with Alan Hyatt?

chessrock said:
Predictable? I could say the same for you, Zeke. Some people just can't stand to have their heros questioned.
Another ridiculously incongruous statement by you to try and send up a smoke screen to obscure the stupidity of statements you've already thrown out there.

I like Stephen Paul's music. I am not a mental sloth, so I am aware of his accomplishments in the area of microphone technology. I've never met him. I don't know much about him personally. I've never hung out on his forum. How do you get that he is my hero?

Let me try and explain why I've decided to engage you in this particular case. This is a thread that I personally started, to make any who might not be aware of it, where Stephen Paul's MP3 site is, so they can give his music a listen, see if they like it, and get an idea of what his mics can do.

You don't like his music. But instead of just stating that, you have to make a besmirching remark about his "supposed genius with microphones", and throw around some type of accusation about a "spam crusade". Maybe you think it's okay if you throw a few smileys throughout your posts.

You're a jackass, that's why I've engaged you. Not because Stephen Paul is my "hero", but because I don't like you using a thread I started to spew out your milk-fed infantile statements.
chessrock said:
So I question that person's intentions, and others (including Zeke), view it as some sort of personal attack or vendetta; or maybe they just don't like to think that their heros can have faults. I'm not sure, but it's puzzling.
To reiterate, he's not my hero. But since you find it so puzzling, I'm going to help you out by analyzing some of your half-witted moronic comments below.
chessrock said:
When you boil it all down, I just don't like the dude's music, . . .
You make this statement with one breath, saying it's just a matter of you not liking his music. and then with the next breath (come to think of it, it was still the same breath), you make this statement. . .
chessrock said:
. . .and I'm trying to figure out why a guy who seems like such a fruit cake is able to garner so much blind loyalty.
Oh, it's more than just not liking his music? It "boils down" to more than that? Now he's a fruit cake?

Because someone likes his music they are suddenly "blindly loyal" to him? Because someone doesn't have their head inserted into the latter end of their alimentary canal, thus being aware of his accomplishments in the audio world, they are suddenly "blindly loyal?

Do you have some kind of need for loyalty that askews your judgment and stirs up some jealousy-motivated comments like the ones you've spewed in this thread? Loyalty is earned. If you want some, go earn it, and quit coveting other people's.
chessrock said:
It's a car crash I'm willing to slow down for to get a look at. . .
I thought it was just a matter of you not liking his music. His persona and people's reaction to him is a "car crash" now? Lucy Van Pelt could psychoanalyze you for 5 cents and nail the diagnosis. You need to do Stuart Smalley's daily affirmation. Just stare into the mirror and say: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!!!
chessrock said:
. . .because for all I know I could be wrong. . .
Ya think? ? ?

Maybe you just like hearing yourself spew out ramblings. Ever considered that one?

chessrock said:
and I'd like to be wrong;
No you wouldn't. You like pretending that you'd like to be wrong. Your position is half-witted and inscrutable. A drunk monkey could ascertain that you are full of feculence. I feel confident that you could ascertain the same, if it were truly your intent to do so.
chessrock said:
. . . but I don't need any of that crap to discuss things with people, so I go under a random, pointless name like chessrock. What the hell is a chessrock anyway? :D

That's my point. Who is chessrock, but who the hell is Stephen Paul. . .
Here is where you reveal the true motivations for your disparaging comments about (insert whatever person you happen to be attacking, in this case Stephen Paul). You want to lump yourself into the same category as Stephen Paul. "That's my point. Who is chessrock, but who the hell is Stephen Paul. . ." Allow me to help you out. You are an anonymous person who snipes at people behind the cover of a keyboard. Stephen Paul is an accomplished person, who does not hide behind an anonymous screen name. People admire him, and it eats you up inside. He probably doesn't know that you exist, and even if he did he probably couldn't care less about your sophomoric jealousies.
chessrock said:
. . .and why can't I bash him?
You can. You have. You've shown yourself to have a propensity for that particular behaviour. You have to accept the consequences of that mindset though. By constantly bashing people, you open yourself up to closer scrutiny. And a close examination of you reveals a very unappealing picture.
chessrock said:
Whoever Stephen Paul is, I'm assuming he's a human being like the rest of us, so I'm not putting him on any pedistals untill I have some grounds for doing so.
No one has put him on a pedestal, you wanker. Liking his music, and admiring the sound he can get out of a microphone isn't putting him on a pedestal. But you got one thing right. He is a human being.

You are too. Why don't you start acting like a decent one.

Taylor <------------real name

Back