staying logged on setting

TAE

All you have is now
Recently my setting changed and I no longer stay logged on here...

Did they update the V-bulletin software to do this?

Can't find where the settings are to stay logged on for more than 10 freeking minutes... a little help? free burgers

inout_small.jpg

NO luck figuring this out...I am pretty sure there used to be a setting in our profiles that allowed to "stay signed in"..definitely can't find it if there is one now....????

IF I am away from the BBS with the browser open for more than about 10 minutes I'm signed out...ugh!

NO luck figuring this out...I am pretty sure there used to be a setting in our profiles that allowed to "stay signed in"..definitely can't find it if there is one now....????

IF I am away from the BBS with the browser open for more than about 10 minutes I'm signed out...ugh!

ya ticked the "remember me" box under your name on the log in ?

5jxz02.jpg

No matter what you enter in your site settings it will still depend on the local settings in your browser. It is the browser that decides how long to keep site cookies and other personal login details active.

I have ALWAYS had this same problem, except I think it's more like five for me. And it's only if I'm 'inactive' for that period of time. I can't count the number of times I've been logged out while composing some longer post. Count yerselve's lucky you didn't have to read 'em.

I think the site is glitchy. I was logged in, had multiple windows pen (slow conneciton speed at work) and all of a sudden I was logged out on the windows I was not reading.

I think the site is glitchy. I was logged in, had multiple windows pen (slow conneciton speed at work) and all of a sudden I was logged out on the windows I was not reading.

If the open window is not the focus it will time out when your browser tells it to. It is not something that vBulletin or php in which it is coded allows for. It is controlled by cookies and browser settings...

If the open window is not the focus it will time out when your browser tells it to. It is not something that vBulletin or php in which it is coded allows for. It is controlled by cookies and browser settings...

No, I do it all the time, the other windows are typically open for just a minute or two.

No, I do it all the time, the other windows are typically open for just a minute or two.

If you are on windows only one window can keep focus. It's a particular annoyance of mine as I use a windows pc as my home workstation and as my HTPC. Basically means I can't have the HTPC up and running on my projector and use my home monitor simultaneously without jumping through some major hoops... Windows 7 was supposed to address it but I can't get it to work with winblows..

That doesn't get away from the fact that the time out for browser stuff is embedded in cookies and the browser and not the site code. No getting away from it, it's always been that way.

So where is this browser setting I'm supposed to be able to change? I can't find one.

What browser are you using?

First you need to check you are accepting cookies from HR. If you are then they should be the same as I get and I don't get logged out the cookie is set for at least a few hours here.

Then you will need to set your privacy settings. Be careful if you don't want to change them globally. To add just a HR do the following, similar steps for other browsers.

Quick google turns up..

On IE

Open Internet Explorer

· Click Tools

· Click Internet Options

· Click the Privacy tab

· Click Sites

· Add the address of the website you want to keep the cookie of

· Click Allow

· Click OK

· Click OK

If that doesn't work raise a request in the feedback forum cos it would be a problem with the cookie the site sends.

If you are on FF like me you can set it as per this...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Enabling+and+disabling+cookies#w_how-do-i-change-cookie-settings

Enable and disable cookies that websites use to track your preferences

Cookies are stored on your computer by websites you visit and contain information such as site preferences or login status. This article describes how to enable and disable cookies in Firefox.

It also seems there was/is a bug in IE relating to random log out....

My users were getting logged out of different websites through IE8 and the times didn't matter. It could be an hour or 10 minutes. I went to tools ---> Internet options -----> Privacy ----> advanced ---> Checked Override automatic cookie handling ----> Checked Always Allow Session Cookies. They stay logged in.

It also seems there was/is a bug in IE relating to random log out....

Ok.....

I'm just saying .... this happened yesterday to me a couple of times ... didn't happen before ... no changes in the computer/win updates (work doesn't do them automatically) ... come back to site this morning and I need to log in again - always stayed logged in before unless I cleared out cookies ...

Ok.....

I'm just saying .... this happened yesterday to me a couple of times ... didn't happen before ... no changes in the computer/win updates (work doesn't do them automatically) ... come back to site this morning and I need to log in again - always stayed logged in before unless I cleared out cookies ...

It works by accepting a cammand from the site to stay logged in as long as the cookie requests. That is the same for all of us. Since you seem to be in a minority with the problem it kind of suggests it isn't the cookie itself. Therefore it has to be the way the browser is handling it. Those settings are in the browsers privacy options.

What browser are you using?
Does it happen with other browsers?
Does it happen on a different machine and the same account?

As with all troubleshooting it is largely a process of elimination. I would start a thread in bbs feedback if you want to know if the site has changed the cookie they issue. I doubt they have but thy do change some stuff at random here for no reason. For example, The image upload was crippled recently for no good reason. Got no response from the mods on that one so you may be on your own on this if you can't fix it with browser settings...

Back