aireq

I'm trying to record a bunch of vinyl to my hard drive here's my setup

Vinyl->
Ortofon Concorde Pro S ->
Technics SL-1200M3->
Nady PHP-3 DJ Phono Pre-Amplifier ->
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - >
Steinberg WaveLab 5

As I'm recording it sounds fine but later when I listen to the recording there are regular pops and crackles in the recording.

Here's an example of the waveform that is recorded. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

waveform.JPG

I should also mention that I am monitoring the recording out though my sound-card, which as I said before sounds find during the recording. So I think the problem is with my computer.

Wavelab isn't really meant to be a recorder. Are you using a dongle when you are recording or a software work around? What sampling rate are you using?

There are plenty of software applications which are designed to remove noise from old records.
Acoustica, Spin It Again, works very well and it isn't expensive.
Samplitude, Magix Studio has an excellent Anti-Hiss setting that works well.
Also, the less gear you use, the better.
Turn Table, RCA out (R&L), Preamp, PC Line IN.
Keep in mind that less is more when using these applications since it's all done by EQ and you really don't want to alter the sound too much.

Seems like a soundcard problem.
What drivers are you using?
ASIO? What are your buffers set like?

Need more info...

Buffers are set to 6 x 16384, and no I'm not using ASIO.

So what should I try to change the buffer to?

Just tried 4 x 32768 for the buffers with no improovement

I've also upgraded to the latest drivers on M-Audio's website

NYMorningstar makes a very good point.
Wavelab is not meant for recording although I don't think the earlier applications require a dongle.

Yeah I don't have a dongle for wavelab, but I have the same problem regardless of software. I've tried Audacity, as well regular old windows sound recorder and both end up recording the same crackles.

In my M-Audio control panel I set it up to send the RCA IN back out to the RCA OUT so I can monitor the record as I'm recording. Does anyone know if that just reroutes the analog signal in the hardware or if it is digitizing it and then converting it back to analog? Like I said before it always sounds find while I'm recording. The only pops I hear then are those that are actually on the record.

FYI I just tried moving the card to another PCI slot and still have the problem.

Maybe the card is just messed up? Is there some way to test it?

Eric

. . also if wavelab is not for recording what software is? Keep i mind I'm not trying to record multiple tracks/instruments/singers or something like that.

Use the ASIO drivers, that could very well make a difference.

Also, you don't mention your computer's specs at all. I assume it's a fairly new machine?

What else are you doing while recording these records? Surfing the net? What about anti-virus software? You might try disabling any anti-virus while recording.

. . also if Wavelab is not for recording what software is? Keep i mind I'm not trying to record multiple tracks/instruments/singers or something like that.
I gave you that information in my first reply.

Back