Starving Vegan #3

TripleM

One more mix on this one. From mix #2:

-- I put back the original bass part (the one IBB drummed over)
-- I put more reverb on the main crunch guitar
-- Made some minor EQ adjustments
-- Recorded a different riff
-- Adjusted a couple of the cowbell hits

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Mix #4:

Here are the lyrics:

The Starving Vegan Rescue Squad
Steven is a vegan
Pristine as he can be
And he can quote you any Dylan song
Ain't no use in leaving
He can take the whole evening
Telling you he's right - you're wrong
Then morning comes - another day he's gotta get through
But he gets dizzy every time he stands
Grabs a bowl of something that looks like glue
And he chokes it down the best he can
Yeah Peta's got his collar
He wants to show he cares
The flavor of the day today is water
So there...

CHORUS
If your neighborhood hippie's got his shorts in a wad
Call The Starving Vegan Rescue Squad
He's a little bit brainless, a little bit flawed
So back away from the tofu - ring up The Squad
Yeah back away from the tofu - ring up The Squad

Let's book out to campus
It's easy there to stamp us
Out some lefty hipster snobs
We're great big fans of vegans, we ain't no fan of Reagan's.
We're bohemians on the job
We drive around in vans
And we stick it to the man
We eat steak that's made from kelp
We got a vegan bonus plan
But the call center is slammed
So god please send some help
We mumble something about nutritional justice
From the front of the food stamp line
I'm planning to save the planet after I get mine

CHORUS
BRIDGE
I said these herbivores are my posse now
And at the time I thought that I actually meant it
But they tapped my emotional bank account
And when I look inside I see they already spent it

CHORUS

Last edited:
Sounds great, man. The only thing I noticed was at times the open hats (pre-chorus, I think) were a little big. Not really a problem, though.

Other than that, I got nothing. Cool tune, I remember liking it when I heard earlier mixes.

Yeah, much better. The guitars are more in scale with the rest of the tracks not, not so overpowering as before. I'm not hearing the timing problems I noticed before, so the bass track must have been the culprit.

Good song. You should post your lyrics. You and VomitHatSteve have a lot in common as songwriters, in terms of writing clever, humorous stuff.

Agree with Robus the guitars and everything are way more level and enjoyable than on past mixes. This is by far the best mix of the song. By lowering the guitars it feels like there's more space, too.

I think this sounds great Triple M. Very smooth ...no spikes, Great guitar sound and background vocal sound. I dont really hear anything I would change.
Good job!

Hey trip, I held back from the last thread as I thought a third mix was coming. This is tons better than the first one I think - much more open and more space everywhere. Guitar tone sounds cool, the bass part works really well, so if it's one you went back to then sounds like a good decision. Lyrics much more clear than I remember them. Think you're done :)

No problem, 3M. Who are your influences, btw? I hear a lot of Kinks in the style.

Hey Nola. I'm a big fan of British Invasion. It was a bit before my time, but it's my favorite style of music. I'm a big Beatles fan. And a big Who fan. I know the Kinks hits well, but I wouldn't say I'm a Kinks savant.

But for songwriting, I just don't write in that style. It's just not something I can do. I'm more influenced by Weezer, Gin Blossoms - kind of 90's powerpop. Lyrically, I think Fountains of Wayne is fantastic. I think they're known as the one hit wonder behind Stacy's Mom. But they have a bunch of good stuff. Lyrically, they're awesome.

Hey Nola. I'm a big fan of British Invasion. It was a bit before my time, but it's my favorite style of music. I'm a big Beatles fan. And a big Who fan. I know the Kinks hits well, but I wouldn't say I'm a Kinks savant.

But for songwriting, I just don't write in that style. It's just not something I can do. I'm more influenced by Weezer, Gin Blossoms - kind of 90's powerpop. Lyrically, I think Fountains of Wayne is fantastic. I think they're known as the one hit wonder behind Stacy's Mom. But they have a bunch of good stuff. Lyrically, they're awesome.

Cool, I know FOW well and grew up as a kid right near the store they're named after.
This song reminds me a lot of The Kinks for some reason.

yeah this mix is good 3M. The hats sound vastly different in 3 different sections...what's up with that? The first time they come in, they're extremely big, yet the later sections with open hats are much more tame. Since you don't ever come back to the cowbell, why don't you just remove it? If you decide to keep it, I'll say that it sounded a little out of tune with the music. I don't think it's tune-able in any way, so I'd just look more closely at its use there since its tone, to me, clashes with the pitch of the music. The whole track, really, I was listening to the time-keeping percussion pieces more closely - the cowbell never arrived again. :D

Thanks andrus. The volume on the hats changes significantly when they're opened and when they're closed. I already had some fader riding to level it a bit. I'll re-listen and maybe do a little more.

Nola - something that hit me after my previous response. I got the idea for this song from "Bohemian Like You" from The Dandy Worhols. It's a great song, look it up on Youtube. You'll notice the rhythm guitars are similar to mine and a couple of lyrical things are similar.

edit - andrus - they're real drums. So the cowbell's gonna be there.

I think you could maybe go without that hat track completely. Ray does that sometimes. I have not recorded a hat track that I really liked and I actually adjusted my snare track since this one to reduce hat bleed. I think there are some phase problems here on the hat vs OHs. My fault. I am trying to learn this better. Could use some tips probably.

I really like the vocals on this. Great balance between leads and backups all around. Love the guitar sound too.

Love the guitar panning. Great answer-backs in the verse.

I don't think the hats are really a problem, they just seemed a little big to me in the pre-chorus, but I was also listening on headphones. On speakers, they're probably just right. I actually dig the cowbell, works perfect in this tune, sounds great.

Guitars and vocals are the strong points and you got them out front to showcase them, but I think they shouldn't be that way. To me, the drums are kind of buried in there when they should be more of a dominant force. The hard panned guitars sound great, especially on their own in the intro, but should be pulled back when drums come in. The hihat crashes are anemic, but maybe IBB already recognized it with the phase comment. Vocals should stay where they are.

There seems to be a timing issue and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's perceptual problem on my part, but it doesn't feel as tight as it should be. Might be the rh guit parts being a little syncopated and/or behind the beat. Maybe it was they way you collab'd with IBB and the process of lining up tracks.... idk.

Anyway, good tune. You always have some unique stuff!! :)

Just for giggles I put a mix #4 at the top. I tried taking out the HH entirely, but it really made things dull. So I just pulled the whole thing back 3 dbs or so, and I pulled it down in the prechorus even more. Then to compensate, I brightened the OH's and the snare. I boosted the snare just a bit. Everything else is the same.

Mix sounds tight-I still like the guitar sounds, bass is solid. Seems like the opening riffage has changed ? I think I like the previous one-I like the riff after the first verse fine but the opening one-maybe it was in a higher register?? Just my opinion.... Music sounds good and tight to me-vocals are riding clearly over the top. I like the mix of the background vocals-even the bridge vocal which I've tiptoed around for your last 2 versions is not bothering me as much. Sounds pretty done to me!

Back