Starting Final Mixes: Song 3 - Release

BroKen_H

Re-member
Here we go again. Getting lots of helpful feedback, so I don't see any reason to stop now. Tell me what's wrong. Tell me what you like. :)

Okay. Added some new growly guitars (which I hear need a bit of tweaking in the 2nd verse), a bit of echo to the drone parts (so they're not so boring) and the chaos sections. Pulled back on the vocal effect and autotuned a bit.

Last edited:
I like this song, reminiscent of a "Tubes" or "Meatloaf" arrangement.
Like in most of your mixes, the instrumentation can be "heard", but it lacks body. For example, if I recorded my rhythm guitar parts straight into the board with a distortion pedal, great, I got a guitar part, but if I took that same guitar and plugged it into a fender tube amp with a tube screamer pedal on low gain, with a speaker mic and a room mic - now we have fullness and body, and were "pushin' air." There are plug-ins that can help you simulate this.
I'm listening on headphones, and I just want my cans too be filled. You don't have too go full "Phil Specter/Wall of Sound", but you can head into that direction.

Cool. I've got four different tracks, all recorded at pretty hot volume from the LP/Vox combo (those guitars aren't sims). Two are pretty clean. Maybe I should add a few more distorted tracks?

Kind of an abrupt start.

I think it's missing some low end. I think the bass could come up and get a low end boost. You could raise the kick too.

The acoustic guitar sounds pretty nice. It's competing with the vocal however. Not horribly, but a bit.

The electric crunch guitar doesn't have much power. It's kind of mushy.

The bass sounds pretty good. Good definition.

Trip: Yes, I love the new bass tone. I'll look at raising the bottom and kick.
I did a thing on the other two songs, where I sidechained a lot of instruments off the vocal, but only in the vocal range to cut it out some space. This one, I just sidechained the violins in the soft part (guitar buss in the hard) total from the vocal. I guess I better do like I did with the others. It worked!
I've already tracked more (heavier and bottom end) guitar parts. Will be in the second run. One set from the LP/Vox and one set with the BCRich through a Metalhead sim. I'll get the new mix up sometime this week.
The abrupt start is on purpose. It flows from the previous song. The first four on the project flow one into the next, then there's a gap and hopefully more blends. Haven't written 7, 8, or 10 yet, so I'm not sure if I'll be blending where? The whole project is a 12 song project I started at the first of the year. Hopefully, it will all come together.

Back