Spijt (HRC with a cheat)

Pedullist said:
*gets more and more scared of what Flat-9 might think of his silly 'no-knowledge-at-all-about-keyboardparts' organ voicings (and patch)*

Hey Bro!

I should be in bed ......zzzzzzzz....

I LOVE this!!!Can't wait till you mix and throw some 'wet' on it.
It's got plenty of deception in the harmonic flow to keep me happy:D :D :D

Knowledge means shit in the long run...........bottom line is your ears......if you like it, ( patch , voicing, etc.) it's a keeper.
I would have prefered a more Rhodesy or Whirly sound as opposed to the vibesy kb part as it's slightly harsh and in your face. I miss it @ 1:50 on the bridge perfectly , as after interpereting the lyrics here, the loneliness in the instrumetation @ this point is excellent. On my first 3 or so listens I was going to suggest a soft synth pad sound to fatten up the starkness but ...no, the lyrics scream for attention here and the listeners ears are coaxed directly to the beautifully remorseful vox !

:17 fretbuzz bugs me. Vocal harmonies attack & release ( esp @ 4:03 on...)will be fixed I'm sure with a tad processing, THEY ARE GREAT FOR DRY!!

Guitar solo will be up a db or more I'm sure in the final take.
Bass is friggin SWEET!! esp on the faded outro.... nice shift of focus:D ;)

Drums need to be a lot phatter but I'll reserve any more mix comments till the wet version arrives.

You sure are one talented silly little Dutch boy.....with each tune of yours, I respect your musicianship and versatility even more.

Off to bed..ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz

TriplePop: you're right...I need to tighten up those harmonies. I sometimes cut off the t's and s's from the harmonies - Queen style, although they did a fast fade - (one in the lead is moooooore than enough), but I didn't do that since it was the dry mix. Leads are mixed too modest, true. It was so dry it made me cringe so that's how...

Moskus: Thanks...and you're right, I didn't like the guitarsound either.

ashulman: hahaha, I'm just in a 6/4 pseudo R'n'B mood...but hey, does it work? Your version, I mean? Curious as hell, man! Anyway, thank :)

twist: Thanks, I once tried 6 or 7 Pink Floyd albums...listened to each of them about 4 times. Couldn't get into it. But I'm curious, if you had to choose one PF song that sounds similar to my one which one would that be? Maybe I ripped something off without even knowing it? Same thing about Aerosmith...which song, people, which song? :) (not that I'm going to change my song, but I'm interested to hear it!)

twist: Thanks, I once tried 6 or....hey, wait a minute. I already told you this...LOL :D

B.SABBATH: Haha, first I go: Moonlight Sonata? What da f! Then I check it out, and I exactly know what you mean. It kinda smells like it... :) Hey, first prize for you: you found the 'hidden' bass influence! Yay!

crawdad: sometimes we rhyme, sometimes we don't. My main lyricists (Marco and Remco, play in a band too...I get their leftovers to work with) don't rhyme, usually. When I make lyrics, they always rhyme. Pop music lyrics should rhyme, in my opinion.

SLuiCe: :)

acidrock: thanks!

flat-9: Thanks for listening man! Well, the vibe thing is harsh and in your face because it's mixed too damn loud, lol...(even some individual notes are way too loud - the ones that go from G to C# in the verses for instance - I'm suprised nobody has commented on them)

I love what you say about the deceptive harmonic flow. That's exactly what I'm going for. Especially with styles like these it's tempting to go for every cliche you can think of. But it's more interesting to do something different within the cliches. For your interest: I wrote and recorded the song in a rather subconscious (and depressed) mood, when I checked out the song the next day the harmonic flow even surprised me!. It's a wonderful experience, I can tell you. I'm a fan of my work ever since....*pisses pants* LOL :D

Good new for you: I'll replace that 'rhythm' guitarpart, so the fretbuzz will go! (I recorded it when I couldn't really play it yet). The solo will be replaced too.

Thank you people!

Last edited:
You know I could have sworn I already replied to this, but its cool! I like :D :D

Don't hear that flute though ;)

Pedullist,

Spijt This is just so good.

I have no criticisms really. I like it just as you presented it. It isn't R'n'B, but it certainly is a very good pop song.

I love that chord F#m6(7) - at least that's how I would name it in the context of the tune. :)

I liked the scat singing, the guitar solo I thought was fine, it's in keeping with the overall feel of the song. The vibes add an extra dimension and lift the tune.

I couldn't detect any problems with the vocals. You sing in tune. You should be very pleased, it's a first rate effort. I couldn't hear any pops. Did I get a later version of the song?

What sort of microphone did you use? Do you DI the guitar straight in to the sound card - or do you use a POD or similar?

--
BluesMeister

Cool song. I like the vocal harmonies. This should be pretty cool with some effects and tweaking. But you know even Abba knew to sing in English ;)

I was not sure what to expect after reading your description followed by a few other responses.

I like the feel once again. You always manage to capture a great feel.

I don't know who to compare the song to, but I would say it has a European feel as do all of your songs (Ped says - Of course you idiot, the lyrics are Dutch and I live in Europe) :) I mean even if the lyris were in English, it has a European feel. I usually like that. Pop from Europe can actually have style and be different. Of course some of it I hate! :eek: I think ultimately it has the Ped sound! :D

Anyhow, I thouht many of the elements were real nice. I liked the intro vibe. The sound could change a little. It sounds less professional until the vocals come in. Probably the compression there. I loved the vocals and melodies.

Always a pleasure!

Back