Spelling Lesson (OT)

bryanzera

It's my opinion (and I'm sure I'm not alone) that the quality of spelling in this country has dramatically decreased. Here now, is a quick spelling primer for those of us embroiled in the expensive grip of the recording pastime:

Bass: Low Frequency Sound. Precursor to the words 'guitar' and 'drum'. Not spelled 'base'.

Cymbal: Metal disk struck to make a crashing/splashing metallic sound. Not spelled 'cymbil', 'symbol', 'symbal' or 'cymbol'.

What else gets misspelled?

Yo Bryz:

Spelling doesn't count here on the BBS -- just information that is understandable; however, you're right -- basic spelling and use of the written word is in a serious decline.

Like: receive vs. recieve, their vs. thier [or thar]

uses of DEW, DUE, DO AND DOO DOO

also, uses of NOW and KNOW

Also, BEAR, bare, and Blue Bear

Green Hornet :D :p :p

bryanzera said:
Bass: Low Frequency Sound. Precursor to the words 'guitar' and 'drum'. Not spelled 'base'.

Also a great sport fish.

Even better in the smallmouth variety. :D

I'm currently reading "You Shall Know Our Velocity" by Dave Eggers, the guy who wrote "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius." He's a good writer, but he writes "peaking" (as in reaching the top of something) when he means "peeking" (looking at something) every time. And his editors didn't catch it. It annoys the hell out of me, and it makes me want to stop reading it every time it happens.

I have a million more, but this is the one that's driving me nuts right now.

OOH! OOH! I'VE GOT ONE!! How about when people misspell the word diaphragm, as in:

DON'T TAP ON THE MICROPHONE! IT MIGHT HURT THE DIAPRAHGM!

OOOH! I hate that!! :D

Don't worry I'm not saying I'm a great speller either!

Your use of you're, you're using, is yours.

I think the most blatant one that reaaaaaalllly bugs-the-shit-out-of-me is people using "your" instead of the "you are" contraction "you're". It's everywhere on every newsgroup, BBS, and chat.

"Your going to be sorry!" *my* going to be sorry?

"Your the stupidist purson" my,my...

OK, "your" is posessive, got it!?

I'd rather read "yore" or "yur" if you're going to be slangy!

BTW- Muh spellin' actewally sux too, but this wun is jest anoiiiing

Here's an old one - it keeps re-emerging, and is singularly appropriate for this thread:

quote:

"To all lovers of the Queen's English:

The European Commission has just announced an agreement that English will
be the official language of the EU, rather than German (the other
possibility). As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government
conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement, and has
accepted a 5-year phase-in of new rules which would apply to the language
and reclassify it as EuroEnglish.

The agreed plan is as follows:

In year 1, the soft 'c' would be replaced by 's'. Sertainly, this will make
the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard 'c' will be replaced by 'k'.
This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan now have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the
troublesome 'ph' is replaced by 'f'. This will reduse 'fotograf' by 20%.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to
reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments
will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a
deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the
silent 'e's in the language is disgrasful and they should eliminat them.

By year 4, peopl wil be reseptiv to lingwistik korektions such as replasing
'th' with 'z' and 'w' with 'v' (saving mor keyboard spas).

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining
'ou' and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz year, ve vil hav a reli sensibil riten styl. Zer vil be no
mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech
ozer....

end of quote...

Have a nice day...

- Wil

;)

das bein good boot...s

LMFAO!!!!

I happen to thionk I am a wicked speller...It's my typing skills that suck!@@@

<<<fastest hunt and pecker in the west.....

that was just a poor ripoff of Mark Twain:

Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s," and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c," "y" and "x"--bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez--tu riplais "ch," "sh," and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

I must admit I've seen some terrible spelling on this site (and in many other applications of the written word).

But I have to agree with what badassmak said, I look at some of my posts and I think to myself, "no one will respect my opinions - I didn't spell half the words right".

In many cases it is not ignorance of the art of spelling, but rather poor typing and the fact that I'm too lazy to proof read a post before sending it.

It's all aboot communicationnnnnn

as long as the gist is to be had...then great. If not, then chances are either the typee is loaded, or has never heard of the english language.

There are lots of words which i see spelt wrong here...words like...color...it is spelt colour. If you are going to spell be colour, you may as well add the extra letter because it adds colour. ;)

But isn't it called base-guitar because it serves as a base or foundation for the whole tune? And base drum because it's like a base for all the toms? Thats is what I read in "The foundation to basement recording" by Steve Williams 1997... Or was is bassment recording. I have forgot right now, but it's a must-read for everyone who want to learn more about Home recording. Btw, does anyone have a mp3 or their home so we can hear how good you are on home recording? I am working on a "proof" mp3 so you all can compare my bathroom to a wardrobe. I think I can simulate the sound of the bathroom in the wardrobe by using a lot of big mirrors for the sound to bounce on. It's really cool and sure really amazing! It's like magic. I even tried to use the wardrobe as a bathroom and... IT WORKS!!! Really cool! But some things in the wardrobe got a bit wet, but that is something you have to stand for if you can't afford a real bathroom. But I have a real bathroom as well (now). It really makes a difference. My bathing results improved very much compared to the wardrobe. But you can't use a shower to clean yourself. That is out of the question. The water of the shower hits the body differently from person to person, so it can't be used as a common reference. But a bathtub will. A GOOD bathtub that is.

/Anders

Have you also noticed how many people say "like" every other word?

I really hate that. I mean it's like I'm just so totally like sick of that, like, you know?

Back