SPDIF to my CD Recorder. How?

Wayon

I have a Fireface 800 interface and a HHB CDR-882 cd recorder. I'm running Reaper. I want to make cd's from Reaper through the FF800 using the SPDIF in order to stay digital. How do I do this? Do I need to? The analogue recordings seem to sound fine, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Not sure what you are asking? Both the Fireface 800 and HHB CDR-882 both have s/pdif in/out connections. Connect the s/pdif and record.

OK, maybe you should list everything you have done and we can figure out what the problem is. First, the equipment will do what you are trying to do so it is a setting or connection or similar that is the problem.

Second, you mention the analoque sounds fine, but I know when I have a piece of gear, I have to try all the options just for my own curiosity.

So, one thing is when you go analog, the fireface does a conversion from digital to analog, then your HHB converts the analog back to digital. Both have very good converters, but I'd be curious to see if their is a difference staying digital.

So, I have an hour to kill, let me know what you have tried so far, I'll read the manuals, and lets see if we can get this thing going.

Check bit depth/sample rate settings. Also, some devices are finicky as to what is master and what is slave. Why not burn the project on the CDR in your computer?

First, you need a physical connection. S/PDIF can be either optical or coaxial. If it's optical, you need a Toslink cable. If it's coaxial, you need an male RCA to male RCA cable, hopefully a digital transfer cable. Then, one of these units has to be told that is the slave, accepting a signal from an outside source. The other has to be told that it is the master, and the source is internal. Then, each unit has to be set for the same bit depth and resolution. If you want it to become a CD, it better be 16bit/44.1kHz. I presume the fireface is already receiving the signal from the computer (you can hear it in headphones, yes?) by firewire. If all of the above has been done, and they still don't talk to each other, it's out of my league, and you need an Audio geek. Wherever would you find one around here?-Richie

First, you need a physical connection. S/PDIF can be either optical or coaxial. If it's optical, you need a Toslink cable. If it's coaxial, you need an male RCA to male RCA cable, hopefully a digital transfer cable. Then, one of these units has to be set so it is the slave, accepting a signal from an outside source. The other has to be set so it is the master, and the source is internal. Then, each unit has to be set for the same bit depth and resolution. If you want it to become a CD, it better be 16bit/44.1kHz. I presume the fireface is already receiving the signal from the computer (you can hear it in headphones, yes?) by firewire. If all of the above has been done, and they still don't talk to each other, it's out of my league, and you need an Audio geek. Wherever would you find one around here?-Richie

PS- Sorry about the double post. I edited it for clarity and couldn't delete the first version...

Thanks everyone. Okay. I have one SPDIF cable coming out of the FF and into the burner. The FF settings I have clicked on SPDIF Out are Professional and Emphasis. Clock Mode is Master. The sample rate is at 44.1. On the burner, the input select should be Coax but no matter what input I pick, there is no signal.

Yes, it's true, I can just use the burner on the computer, but I am like Washburn100 and I want to explore my options. Plus the HHB has the dual burn option.

I do appreciate the help.

I'm thinking that it's something in Settings, but I can't find it.

I'm guessing that the solution to your problem is either very simple or very complicated

Is your connection co-ax or optical? Optical is great 'cos by way of an idiot check you can confirm the output is lit up red and the input not!

Do you have another item of gear with spdif i/o you can try with both your FF & your HHB to maybe hint at which of the two is being petulant? Also try toggling any signal onfig options you haven't tried in case you can bring one machine in spec with the other!

I must say, any time I had an option I'd work with hard drive data and leave burning discs 'till the job was done and dusted. Far greater failure rate on burns than disc writes...

My connection is coaxial. I do have a preamp with digital out. I'll see what that does, although that's inputing instead of outputing. I think I've tried toggling every config option there is on both machines to try and match them up. Maybe I am missing something.

I'll be back.

is there a level indicator on the cd recorder? is it registering a signal?

how about the word clock? one needs to be a master and the other a slave.

Yes, there is a level indicator on the recorder, and no it is not registering a signal.
And on the recorder, in the menu, there are different clock signals, I have it set to word clock, and the Fireface is set to word clock master. Do I need a separate coax for the clock, or does that go through the SPDIF?

one needs to be the master, the other the slave. some devices won't accept a word clock, meaning they must be the master. probably not the problem though because the meters would indicate signal, then pops and clicks.

have you confirmed the cable is good?

I figured it out. It was something stupid. I didn't have the SPDIF configured as an output in REAPER. I feel like such a moron. And I kind of feel like I wasted your time.

Live and learn.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Wayon

Glad you got it going!

Simple oversights can be very hard to track down.

Once I was live sound engineer on tour for a band who were second on the bill. During the headline band soundcheck the PA went down and they absolutely couldn't find the fault. The concert was eventually cancelled after the doors had opened and everyone had to be hustled out, refunded and sent home.

A few minutes later someone discovered a crucial power switch under the mixing desk. The headline band's engineer had bumped it to 'off' with a knee whilst sitting at the desk. Switched back, everything worked fine. There were tears...

...so don't feel you've put people to any real trouble at all. Rather, be glad you didn't have to work the problem out whilst 8,000 people were booing and giving you a slow handclap! :cool:

Glad you got it going!

Simple oversights can be very hard to track down.

Once I was live sound engineer on tour for a band who were second on the bill. During the headline band soundcheck the PA went down and they absolutely couldn't find the fault. The concert was eventually cancelled after the doors had opened and everyone had to be hustled out, refunded and sent home.

A few minutes later someone discovered a crucial power switch under the mixing desk. The headline band's engineer had bumped it to 'off' with a knee whilst sitting at the desk. Switched back, everything worked fine. There were tears...

...so don't feel you've put people to any real trouble at all. Rather, be glad you didn't have to work the problem out whilst 8,000 people were booing and giving you a slow handclap! :cool:

OK, this sounds like BS.
If it were true, I'd wonder how you ever got a job as a "live sound engineer", or worse, who the hell hired you?

It never dawned on anybody that you had no power and maybe you should check why?

Back