SPDIF capable preamps

msmales555

Hello,

I own two firepods and I want to make use of their SPDIF inputs. I've been looking at some of the Focusrite preamps that have optional ADAT cards which from what I've gathered would allow me to take advantage of the SPDIF ins on the Firepod.

Does anyone have any recommended preamps that have SPDIF outs?

Are they SPDIF or ADAT? or Both? IF ADAT capable, do you want to use all 8 channels? Budget?

Also, preamps aren't spdif capable, only converters, so you'd need a combo unit.

Also, preamps aren't spdif capable, only converters, so you'd need a combo unit.
That's true. I use the ART Digital MPA via S/PDIF to my MOTU Traveler -- works very well at 96khz, and it's nice to still have all the analog inputs on the Traveler free. I played with ADAT a little with the same two devices, but couldn't get it to work (probably didn't try hard enough). I should say that I had difficulties until I started using an external clock (the Black Lion Audio microclock, in my case, that I picked up when they modded the Traveler).

Technically true, though slightly confusing. It's certainly true that you can't get a S/PDIF output without having gone through an A/D. But from a marketing standpoint there are preamps with a S/PDIF port or a S/PDIF option installed which are not marketed as a combination Preamp/Converter. It's just like buying a keyboard or other such gear with a S/PDIF output. It's not going to be called a combination keyboard/converter combo unit.

One thing to keep in mind is that S/PDIF carries two channels, but if you use it for a mono preamp with S/PDIF out, in most cases you lose the ability to add another mono preamp to that S/PDIF port. So consider dual pres with S/PDIF to take advantage of both channels. In your case, with two firepods, you have the ability to add 4 channels, 2 per firepod, but only if you use two dual channel S/PDIF capable preamps, or preamps that have the ability to cascade the S/PDIF out, which is rare.

Last edited:
Technically true, though slightly confusing. It's certainly true that you can't get a S/PDIF output without having gone through an A/D. But from a marketing standpoint there are preamps with a S/PDIF port or a S/PDIF option installed which are not marketed as a combination Preamp/Converter. It's just like buying a keyboard or other such gear with a S/PDIF output. It's not going to be called a combination keyboard/converter combo unit.

They may or may not be marketed that way, true enough. A keyboard though, is very different from a preamp. A preamp is an analog device, while a keyboard is digital. A keyboard will not have an A/D converter. It will have the option to bypass the D/A and go out digitally.

I love my dbx 386 stereo tube preamp with analog out and S/PDIF out. It has a word clock connection too. It has mic/line and hi-z instrument in's on each channel. Digital out (16,20,24-bit/44.1,48,88.2/96kHz) features dbx's special process (can't remember the name) that it supposed to simulate an analog signal on tape. While I can't say that it necessarily sounds like that, I do llike its sound very much. To me, it adds a subtle compression if pushed that means I need little or no compression (it has inserts) when tracking. It has gain and tube drive, 48v, etc. Got mine on eBay for ~$300.

You can find the actual specs and manual on dbx's site.

I've used a Focusrite Trakmaster with the digital card for SP/DIF - works fine. You can actually run a second channel through them via the digital input at rear (so you get 1 mic and one line channel L & R).

I've used a Roland MMP2 preamp (discontinued) - also fine with SP/DIF.

These aren't what you'd call great preamps, but they are reliable and clean enough in a home recording setting (and pretty much noiseless). You'll find that any limitation in your recording quality isn't likely to be due to these preamps, but probably to other factors.

Like some have alluded to in earlier posts, the SPDIF port was probably included so you could interface with an A/D converter.

Except with the more expensive exceptions (API), I'd avoid preamps with built in converters (which any pre with SPDIF out has) and spend the extra money you'd have dropped on the SPDIF out and buy a better mic pre (or converter). 'Course, that's just my opinion.

Craig,

For those of us who were sick of hiss or interference and wanted to go digital, SP/DIF was the cheapest route. Given that I have used a Roland XV5050 synth, a Pod XT Pro a Focusrite pre and a Lexicon delay all with SP/DIF outputs, this was a valid option. Into a Roland M-1000, it's all quite workable. Some of us don't have endless budgets for top end A/D converters, nor the patience with gear whose analogue outs are hissy by comparison. Given that I started recording on a Teac 3340 with a noise floor of only 45dB, I'm pleased to say that SP/DIF avoids more problems than it creates. No - it's not apogee or RME or whatever, but it works OK.

They may or may not be marketed that way, true enough. A keyboard though, is very different from a preamp. A preamp is an analog device, while a keyboard is digital. A keyboard will not have an A/D converter. It will have the option to bypass the D/A and go out digitally.

Dohh.....your right, practically any keyboard with a S/PDIF out is in fact a digital keyboard...bad example. :o

Oh yes, I'd agree taking a digital keyboard signal in digitally is smart. If you want some decent analog gear cheap, try a JoeMeek 3Q or for more channels an SM Pro Audio PR8. Both are very quiet, especially the JoeMeek. Also, you can go wrong with a used Echo Layla 24 interface. A bunch of digital inputs for less than $200 used. Heck, get the PR8 and a used Layla and you've got 8 channels of decent mic pre and 8 good AD/DA converter for less than $300. Not a high end gear snob price point at all.

Msmales555, those focusrite pres are a bit high, considering their less than stellar reputation. Plus you'll only be able to take in two channels at a time via SPDIF, not eight. Try the Apogee Mini-Me 2 channel mic pre and converter for about the same price used.

Craig

Back