Space

I don't know. I don't think adding verb will have the same feel as recording a live band in a good room. I'm using sims and SD2! It comes close.. Unless I work on the verb stuff. I think I've got a good handle on it though

The key to your response is "good room".

I agree, adding verb will not have the same feeling as recording a band live in a good room.

But if you are not recording live, and you don't have a good room, then you have to work out how to replicate both.

You're not looking for a live band sound, are you? That goes way beyond treatment of guitars.

I'm not sure recording an amp in a room would even get you what you're looking for. Most of what I do is close-micing amps. I don't really hear a lot of room when I put an SM57 on the grill of a loud amp. Maybe there is some, but it's not what I would call a "roomy" sound. Okay, when I put a ribbon mic six feet back from an amp, then it's roomy. But that kind of roomy tone would get slaughtered by the density of your mixes.

I know you don't want to hear that the issue is arrangement and ambient FX, but I really think it is.

I'm not in a position to listen right now, but one red flag was the 4 guitar parts. Try just muting the guitars that aren't hard panned. That should give you some space right there.

Basically, if you want to hear space, don't fill it all up with instrumentation.

I'm hoping there's a disconnect here somewhere, because there isnt a modern rock song that doesn't have a set of hard panned guitars and an inner set playing support or octaves. It's not 4 sets for 8, it's 2 sets for 4. That's incredibly common. Otherwise, you're saying only one guitar part can be playing at once, even if it's wide panned, with nothing else under it. There go any guitar solos over a set of panned guitars. Or any kind of fillers.

Sorry guys, I'm just not sure we're on the same page here. Better EQ is all that was needed. I'll have it up next week. And yes, I had the verse guitars inadvertently playing under everything, so I removed those. I think I had them there before I decided to record a more driven pair for the leads.

.... Kind of in awe that someone here would say 2 sets of guitars is too much.

You're not looking for a live band sound, are you? That goes way beyond treatment of guitars.

I'm not sure recording an amp in a room would even get you what you're looking for. Most of what I do is close-micing amps. I don't really hear a lot of room when I put an SM57 on the grill of a loud amp. Maybe there is some, but it's not what I would call a "roomy" sound. Okay, when I put a ribbon mic six feet back from an amp, then it's roomy. But that kind of roomy tone would get slaughtered by the density of your mixes.

I know you don't want to hear that the issue is arrangement and ambient FX, but I really think it is.

It was the third set. What you don't know is that the verse guitars have an autofilter on them, so they are swirly and resonant. With the hard panned and inner set, those verse guitars were cluttering everything up. Nothing wrong with two pair of well separated guitars. Once I removed the filtered verse guitars, it opened up immediately.

Aha! So it was too many guitars in too little space. :thumbs up: But seriously, glad you got it sorted. I'm sure it'll sound good as your songs always do.

In no way did I mean "I can't fit all these instruments, there isn't room for them". I meant "I want to hear the sound of the room - the space- when the mix picks up". That is all. So yes Robus, room sound.

I'm good now, thanks guys

Aha! So it was too many guitars in too little space. :thumbs up: But seriously, glad you got it sorted. I'm sure it'll sound good as your songs always do.

I've had 3 sets before no problem, but the resonating filters were not working. Those aren't meant for a busy section. Somehow, we found them problem. Although via different route ;)

I'm not averse to having a lot of guitars either. Some of my songs have three, four, or five guitars going, not so much doubled but blended together low, like a pad, and often hard panned symmetrically, so 2 and 3 or 1 and 2. Not all my guitars are hard panned either, though more so lately. I will sometimes move a rhythm guitar closer in.

I'm hoping there's a disconnect here somewhere, because there isnt a modern rock song that doesn't have a set of hard panned guitars and an inner set playing support or octaves. It's not 4 sets for 8, it's 2 sets for 4. That's incredibly common. Otherwise, you're saying only one guitar part can be playing at once, even if it's wide panned, with nothing else under it. There go any guitar solos over a set of panned guitars. Or any kind of fillers.

Sorry guys, I'm just not sure we're on the same page here. Better EQ is all that was needed. I'll have it up next week. And yes, I had the verse guitars inadvertently playing under everything, so I removed those. I think I had them there before I decided to record a more driven pair for the leads.

.... Kind of in awe that someone here would say 2 sets of guitars is too much.
I was talking a rhythm part. Obviously, if it is two different parts, you need more. A solo is a completely different thing. That takes the place of vocal in a mix.
And Like I said, I haven't listened. Most of the time when I hear someone talking about not having enough space in a mix, it's normally because someone is putting 10 performances of a cranked dual rectifier, or something like that. That is a good way to get something really in your face, but not a way for there to be any space in the mix.

However, since I haven't listened, I have no idea what you are actually doing.

This is now up in clinic. I removed those verse guitars that were playing in the second half/outro. I think it cleaned it up. Please be kind enough to let me know how it sounds? Particularly you guys who heard it before the "final" mix. thanks

Back