SP B1 again.

Han

Well, I was recording a jazz band the last two days and I needed the pair of AKG C451's for the grand piano.

I found out that the combination of PZM's, taped to the lid and the C451's, positioned as a DIN pair halfway at the end of the strings, gives me a warm and deep piano sound with a nice stereo image.

So I decided to put the B1's as an ORTF pair for OH's and what a surprise, it sounds wonderful.

The B1 is a workhorse LDC, but though it sounds good on many applications, it can sound bad on horns for example and on some vocals it craps.

For OH's it's a good mic though.

Is it safe to talk about this now? :)

When I bought my T3 and C4s recently, I got a B3 to stick in my live box for all the various djembes, violins and stuff that I need to keep a spare mic around for. I figured with the extra patterns and the pad that it would be a good utility that would do an ok job on anything, get the sound and not cause me grief (just sick of resorting to SM58s for tasks they are not capable of). Well, let me tell you, this B3 is one of the best buys I've made. It stays up in my recording room the whole time now. I can put it anywhere and it will pick up a good sound, I don't need to worry about tip-toeing around it like when I almost knocked the T3's stand over on its first day!

I really wasn't expecting anything from this mic, but it's turned out to be super-useful. Of course, for what I'm using it for, any number of Red5, SE or ADK mics would do the job, but I chose this one and it's certainly no dog. I'm thinking of getting a second for a pair! :)

I'm glad to be living in a time when stuff of this usefulness can be had for the cost of a month's groceries. :)

tryptophan said:
i got a chance to use a pair of b1s on acoustic guitar last night. very disappointed. the sound was unnatural and undefined.

I've not used them on acoustic guitar (yet), but they did pretty good on vibraphone in a live recording of a big band.

They are pretty rejective too. I can't imagine the B1 sounds crap on an acoustic guitar, ho was your placement?

Han said:
They are pretty rejective too. I can't imagine the B1 sounds crap on an acoustic guitar, ho was your placement?

I think they are also quite useful on guitar, but it kind of depends on the guitar itself and whether you like it's sound or not.

But first of all, it really depends on the placement. Even a few inches can make a large difference -- although I'd say the B1's are maybe not the most picky ones to place.

-- Per.

tryptophan said:
i got a chance to use a pair of b1s on acoustic guitar last night. very disappointed. the sound was unnatural and undefined.

I'd put that down as user error. I'd suggest you look at other aspects such as mic positioning, performance, instrument, room acoustics, mic pres, A/D converters.

tryptophan, what mics have you used that you felt gave you a good, natural, defined acoustic guitar sound?

And this can't be because of "gear snobbery" on your part, because I use many of the best and most expensive mics and mics pres on the market, and I still recommend the B1 often and think it's an excellent mic for applications such as drums and acoustic guitar.

I was not pleased with a B1 on an accoustic amp, but on the guitar itself I was quite pleased...I usually blend it with a JM27 placed about halfway up the neck of the guitar...I recently bought a C1 and have only had the chance to use it on vocals a few days ago and Im quite eager to put it to use elsewhere.

Dot said:
I'd put that down as user error. I'd suggest you look at other aspects such as mic positioning, performance, instrument, room acoustics, mic pres, A/D converters.

tryptophan, what mics have you used that you felt gave you a good, natural, defined acoustic guitar sound?

And this can't be because of "gear snobbery" on your part, because I use many of the best and most expensive mics and mics pres on the market, and I still recommend the B1 often and think it's an excellent mic for applications such as drums and acoustic guitar.

call it whatever you like, but i didn't like the sound. we substituted a pair of mc 012s and things turned out much better.

the way i see it is, if it takes me all day to place microphone B for a decent sound, but it only takes me 10 minutes to place microphone C for a decent sound, i'm going with microphone C. my user error wastes too much time. i'm not a gear snob, not sure what gave you that idea. i'm on a tight budget like most people here.

did someone read the review of the b1 in june 05 issue of soundonsound ?

Couldn´t read it until now cause not available here.

Did read in sos forum that it get an "highly recommended".

tryptophan, so I take it the B1's are not yours. And you've not used these mics enough to make an educated judgement.

Hey, if you're in the middle of recording I agree that you should go for whatever works. But that doesn't mean that something else won't work if you put in a little time experimenting or recording on another project.

I recently put up a pair of QTC1's on acoustic, and they just didn't do it that day in that room on that guitar. But I don't go around and post that I was "very disappointed". Because I know these mics and in other situations have used them with brilliant results.

I used the b1 for the first time yesterday, and I was more than impressed, specially when I cranked the preamp up a few notches, very clear and detailed.

I havent tried it on vocals yet, but it sounded nice on guitar, drums (specially the snare) and piano.

exelent mic.
and one important thing its extremly cheap, and that favors me.

There are so many ways to record an acoustic guitar, I don't have problems with it and I find the sound I'm after pretty quickly.

Like I said, I've not used the B1 on acoustic guitar yet, but I'll find out soon.

I do have a number of LDC's, a Neumann M149, an MXL V69ME, an MXL V77S and two SP B1's.

So far I was happy with te B1 on acoustic bass, piano, some vocals, mallets, guitar amp, bass amp, as a spot mic on hi hat and ride cymbal and now as an OH pair.

I was not happy with them on trumpet and T bone.

Dot said:
tryptophan, so I take it the B1's are not yours. And you've not used these mics enough to make an educated judgement.

Hey, if you're in the middle of recording I agree that you should go for whatever works. But that doesn't mean that something else won't work if you put in a little time experimenting or recording on another project.

I recently put up a pair of QTC1's on acoustic, and they just didn't do it that day in that room on that guitar. But I don't go around and post that I was "very disappointed". Because I know these mics and in other situations have used them with brilliant results.

nope, luckily the B1s aren't mine. i used them and i was very disappointed. i'm sorry if that's bad for business.

i'm gonna leave you alone out of respect for capitalism. leave me alone out of respect for a man's right to have an opinion, however delusional it might be.

if you think i'm "against" studio projects or affordable gear in general, you're wrong. having tried the T-3, i fell in love. and i like the way hyatt helps people here. i just didn't like the B1.

It's fine to have your opinion, but Dot isn't making any recommendations in the name of business - if you think that, then you clearly don't know the guy and should be careful not to judge so negatively so quickly.

It is a rather incongruous experience and opinion though, given the vast majority of others' experiences.

tryptophan, my posts and recommendations have nothing to do with capitalism or making money, and everything to do with helping people find the best tools for the job. My wallet could give a flying hoot whether or not you or anyone else buys a B1. I also use products for more than a few minutes and in several applications before I make a judgement call.

You have a right to your opinion, and at this point I'd call your opinion on the B1 superficial and unexamined.

I have used the B-1 on acoustic many times with great results. I have used it for overheads almost primarily since I have gotten it. I think it is an affordable and wonderful mic.

Here are 2 on acoustic with a 441 on vox.

I think that is a pretty nice acoustic sound, especially considering it was a lower model guitar.

So my recommendation is, get a couple B-1's. They'll work pretty well for lots of stuff.

Beez

please listen to beezoboy's song. does the guitar sound good to you?

if so, then you should consider trying the mic he used. if it sounds good to YOU, what more do you need? thanks for posting the tune, beezoboy.

tryptophan said:
please listen to beezoboy's song. does the guitar sound good to you?

if so, then you should consider trying the mic he used. if it sounds good to YOU, what more do you need? thanks for posting the tune, beezoboy.

That's kind of insinuating to me, as if you think the sound is crap.

I must admit I've heard better sounding guitars, but is says nothing about the B1. I think a killer sounding Martin guitar with new strings, a really good player and an ideal placement of the B1 will give a completely different sound.

But I do like Beezoboy's sound anyway and the vocals are killer.

just as a different microphone would produce a completely different sound too.

i never said beezoboy's track sounded bad. i said make up your own mind.

Back