Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

Miseria_Cantare

I recently bought this soundcard, because until now all I'd been able to use was the Soundmax that came with the PC.

I did a search for audigy on here though, and it seems most people hate these cards.
Why is this?
Obviously since it's not specifically designed for recording I can see why it wouldn't be as good as the cards that are, but what is so bad about the audigy 2?

Will I be able to get good quality recordings using this? (Assuming the rest of my equipment is fairly good too)
And it is obviously better than the one that came with the computer right? so I haven't lost anything by buying it?

From the site:

High Definition Audio Quality for Playback and Recording
24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion during playback with sampling rates of 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz in 7.1 mode and up to 192kHz in stereo mode
24-bit Analog to Digital conversion during recording in 8, 16 or 24-bit at sampling rates of 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz
SPDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) input at up to 24-bit/ 96kHz quality
SPDIF output up to 24-bit at 48 or 96kHz
ASIO 2.0 drivers for low latency (as low as 2ms) multi-track playback and recording at 16-bit/48kHz or 24-bit/96kHz

Yeah, 2ms would be an accomplishment.

Miseria - I think you'd have done better with an M-audio Audiophile 192 or the 2496. People around here have made decent recordings with the SB stuff, but man, you can do a lot better for the $$$. I think you'd be looking at better stability as well, but there are a lot of variables that play into that. If you can get it working the way you want to, get to work and focus on your recording/mixing skills, then perhaps upgrade in the future as your budget permits.

What software are you using to record with? What other equipment do you have (pre's, etc.)?

I don't mean to shit all over the Audigy cards but I've heard the results with my own ears.

If Soundblaster insist on trying to hit on the recording market with these cards they should atleast have the decency to put on the box "Ideal soundcard for karaoke" and include say...maybe a Behringer B1 with it or something :rolleyes:

I think if you bought it solely for making music then you may have made a bad choice. I use the same card, but I hadn't thought seriously about recording my music when I got it, and I was more into my videogames, which is what these things are aimed at.

Saying that, it will probably suffice until you can get something else. I've been making music on it and havent really had many issues. I have never noticed any latency issues with it at all. I am looking at getting something from M-Audio at some point however.

Also, Its the ZS, which is an improvement on the ZX, or so I hear. Where as the ZX couldn't record in 24bit, the ZS can....again,so I hear, and so my software indicates when I'm tracking. You'll probly want better ASIO drivers than creatives ones tho.

Its not that they are awful...its just that they are not ideal when you can get something ideal for a lot less money.

One thing I will say tho. Creatives mixer will have you tearing your hair out eventually...

I guess its because the card is geard for gameing and movies and you got all the options to connect all your home entertainment system. and maybe because it seams more like a toy and they may have mislead everyone that you can record at 24/96.

LemonTree said:
I'd like to see you get 2ms latency with an Audigy LOL!
Other factors determine latency other than just the card. I'm getting 5.33ms latency with KX drivers on my system.

Processor
Model : 1x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
Speed : 2.02GHz

Mainboard
Bus(es) : AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
System BIOS : Award Software International, Inc. F5
Mainboard : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 8IPE1000P2
Total Memory : 1.5GB DDR-SDRAM

Adapter : GIGABYTE RADEON 9600 PRO
Adapter : GIGABYTE RADEON 9600 PRO - Secondary

Physical Storage Devices
Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
Hard Disk : QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS20.5 (19GB)
Hard Disk : WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0 (112GB)
CD-ROM/DVD : LG CD-RW CED-8080B (CD 32X Rd, 8X Wr)
CD-ROM/DVD : CD-ROM Drive

I agtee the card is not (specifically) made for recording, but it can be made better wih the KX drivers.

tamky said:
Other factors determine latency other than just the card. I'm getting 5.33ms latency with KX drivers on my system.

This is true, but why can't Creative just create good, solid drivers out of the box? Not everyone will know about driver alternatives.

When it's all said and done, these cards weren't created with audio recording/production in mind.

warble said:
This is true, but why can't Creative just create good, solid drivers out of the box? Not everyone will know about driver alternatives.

When it's all said and done, these cards weren't created with audio recording/production in mind.
Yes, that's right. they were created for an overall audio experience: (low grade) recording, games, etc. for the largest sales audience possible. And for what they were designed for I think they're very good. Hell, wasn't Creative one of the first (if not the first) audio card manufacturers for PCs? The KX people, and their drivers, are just trying to make the Sound Blasters a little bit better for the home recording enthusiast. It sure makes it better, but you still can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I suppose it's a good sound card to use to learn on and get familiar with the whole DAW recording scene to start with. You can always upgrade later to the next step.

legionserial said:
One thing I will say tho. Creatives mixer will have you tearing your hair out eventually...

What's wrong with Creatives mixer?
I only installed the drivers for the card, not any of the additional software, as I don't really need it.

Also, Using the soundcard that came with the computer I got some pretty good recordings (Maybe this is just because I'm relatively unexperienced and can't tell that they're crap? but they sounded good enough quality to me)
So surely this will definately be better than that?

Other than the Audigy 2 and the soundmax, the only card I've used before was a Soundblaster PCI 128.

I did not invent the saying but remeber one thing.....

Your ears will tell you when it's time to move up.

If you're interested, all the songs at 'my recordings' page (except seashells) were done with a $10 mic and SBLive!...which is even worse than an Audigy. I'm just saying you can do some stuff on it. Kept me happy for a couple of years. Now I have a CADm177 and a Presonus Firebox...but I hardly record anything anymore.

One thing I have noticed is that on the windows recording controls for the Audigy 2, there is no option of recording from "line in"
There is, 'analog mix' (which seems to be line in) but the recording level of this depends on what the volume of the 'line in' is on the playback controls, and if I mute line in on the playback controls, I can't record anything.
Isn't there any way to just get 'line in' back onto the recording controls? So that I can choose what volume to hear what is going in, and to record what is going in, individually.

Under system sounds and device properties select audio and click on the volume for Sound Recording, under options/properties select all the options. You will now see all the hidden faders

Miseria_Cantare said:
I already did that.

What I mean is, when I installed the audigy 2 drivers, it actually took away the option of line in.

:(
Did you contact Creative Labs ?
I have a few times in the past, and they DO get back to you.
You can get some additional info in their Knowledge base section.

Back