Sound Forge: New tip on ussage

Drummerbones

I've been messing around with sound forge lately to "home master" some demos for my band members. Instead of destructive editing using the built-in effects & processors such as wave hammer etc., can you open plug-ins in SF to create a virtual signal chain? Thanks

My version is later than 6, I'm running 7.0. I'm sure it's in the manual; I've done my homework and I'm unable, so far, to utilize plug-ins without desctructive editing...just havn't figured it out yet. I want to create a virtual rack where you can see the "screen shot" of each plug-in and modify each accordingly. I'll look into it further but if someone can provide a quick how-to in the mean time I would be greatful. Thanks

My version is later than 6, I'm running 7.0. I'm sure it's in the manual; I've done my homework and I'm unable, so far, to utilize plug-ins without desctructive editing...just haven't figured it out yet. I want to create a virtual rack where you can see the "screen shot" of each plug-in and modify each accordingly. I'll look into it further but if someone can provide a quick how-to in the mean time I would be greatful. Thanks

Yes you can, but if I remember correctly only on later versions of sound forge from version 6.
I still run v6 myself. v6, v7 and I believe some previous versions (I don't know how far back) accept only DirectX plugs natively, but one could use VST plugs with a 3rd party VST/DX wrapper. It isn't until v8 that SF provides direct VST plug-in support along with DirectX.

Drummerbones, if you're trying to use VST plugs, you need what's called a VST-to-DX wrapper program. There's a few of them out there, an internet search for "VST-to-DX" should send you in the right direction. Basically this wrapper acts like a blank plug-in frame into which you can load the VST plug-in(s) of your choice and run them as if they're regular plugs.

Read what the various wrappers offer in their different versions, though. It's been a while since I looked at what's available, but the last time I looked, some of the free versions of the wrapper only let you run a single plug per track at a time; in order to run multiple plugs on a single track, you had to buy the pro version for a few bucks.

If you want to run VST plugs without having to worry about using a wrapper, you need v8 or later of Sound Forge.

G.

I've been messing around with sound forge lately to "home master" some demos for my band members. Instead of destructive editing using the built-in effects & processors such as wave hammer etc., can you open plug-ins in SF to create a virtual signal chain? Thanks

If you are "mastering" your mixes but don't want to commit to changes you do in Sound Forge, back up your mixes elsewhere and apply your mastering to copies of your mixes. If you do not like what you did, go back to your mix archive and get a fresh set of copies to remaster.

In the later versions of Sound Forge, a Batch Conversion feature is included that you can create a chain of effects to apply to your audio files.

Back