Sorry, I couldn't wait anymore

okobd said:
daf, help?!

You mean the URL thing? Looks like it worked.

Also looks like you don't need my help with the lyrics. Deep stuff. Very powerful.

If you want to make it fit the formula, you probly need a bridge. The best songwriter I know (are yer ears burning, al?) sez it's good practice to write to the formula, so that when you do deviate, it's for a really good reason. Something like that.

But a whole album of formula would be pretty awful. And there are fringe markets where it's all about dodging the formula.

So daf, who's never made a nickel at songwriting, sez: write what you feel. That's how the best music gets made. Plenty of hit songs have no bridges, two verses, questionable rhymes (Maggie May?), personal content...

I'd say the Ballad of John and Yoko isn't the best example of using personal anecdotes, 'cos they were such celebrities, and the whole honeymoon was such a well-publicized circus. But look at Dave Loggins' "She is His Only Need" (recorded by Wynonna Judd) - talk about yer personal detail... or Bohemian Rhapsody!!!

Daf

thanks all!

Terocious-Thanks for the listen. I never really seriously thought about the daily bread thing until recently. I've always thought about it, but always shrugged it off. I've always known dad's got it, and sissy made herself known years ago, but my stuff was always just--"Hey, I got a new one, what do you think?"

Jimistone--Thanks for all the thought you put into your comment. I really appreciate it. I see what you mean about being vague. That's the second time I've heard that, and I'm sure now that it wasn't meant to confuse, yet a little vague has always been a cool thing to me, especially when there could be alot of different meanings. With this one, I'll have to think about it more, but I really do like it right now, lyricly(sp?).

Daf--What can I say man, Thanks alot. I bounced in and out of the formula thread, but I'm sure I'll learn alot about the formula in the books I'm gonna read thanks to the advice from Crawdad(ears now burning more). Thanks again for the votes of confidence.

-okobd

Re: thanks all!

Jimistone--Thanks for all the thought you put into your comment. I really appreciate it. I see what you mean about being vague. That's the second time I've heard that, and I'm sure now that it wasn't meant to confuse, yet a little vague has always been a cool thing to me, especially when there could be alot of different meanings.
-okobd [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey okobd,

IMHO,

There's lots of times when leaving the subject a little vague makes the song more appealing in terms of a wide audience. It's called "audience participation." How many times has an artist been asked about the meaning of a song,and we find out that what he was originally writing about was not what a lot of people thought? The audience was left to develope their own idea about what happened or why it happened. Nothing wrong with that if it's done properly. You have to give them something to lock onto, but if they develope an idea that appeals to them it only makes it all the better sometimes.

Just my .02

Limoguy

Back