Sony TC-366 Will Not Rewind with Faceplate On

stereomike

I just put new belts in a Sony TC-366 and have found that when the faceplate is put back on, rewind is incredibly sluggish. The deck struggles to rewind and I have to hold the knob in RW to even get it to do that. Playback and Forward are fine. Prior to changing the belts, the issue was present but I figured it was just an old belt issue.

Taking the faceplate off and testing the rewind, it zips around as it should but as soon as that faceplate goes back on, the deck stuggles again.

I also had the exact same issue with a Sony TC-377 a couple of months ago.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Update: I took the faceplate off again to investigate. Every function works well if I hold the tape tension bar in place to make the motors activate. Fast rewind working great. I put a tape on it, the rewind struggles, though it does a little better than with the faceplate on. A little.

Can't figure this out.

Faceplate on, it struggles? Faceplate off, it is OK?
If I am reading this correctly, it sounds like drag from the faceplate touching.

Faceplate on, it struggles? Faceplate off, it is OK?
If I am reading this correctly, it sounds like drag from the faceplate touching.

Faceplate on - struggle
Faceplate off, tape on reels - struggle
Faceplate off, tension bar held up to "simulate" a tape - free and clear, perfect

Hmmm...
Wondering about integrity of any spring tensions involved?
Looking for cheapest solutions first. (A weak motor wouldn't be really cheap.)

I think we may be misunderstanding what is happening - a quick video maybe? You mention the tension bar being held up to simulate a tape? Why is the real tape not doing this? Too little tape tension? Belt slipping? Brakes still on too hard?

Back