Song topics

seedyapartment

What do you guys write songs about? Whatever comes to mind?

Do you write about things you can relate to, or experiences? Or do you write about things you have no clue about and just see what comes of it?

Do you write about tired things, such as love?

Do you find that the lyrics matter more, or the music?

When I write, I write about stuff I know. I think that if you're trying to write about something you know little about you end up copying the well worn formula.

My lyrics tend to lean towards lyrical word play.

I don't take myself seriously and my lyrics reflect that, BTW. I write comedy / nonsense songs about Bearded Ladies, Bigfoot and Fly Paper

I write about life..experiences and things I know lol love poetry so sometimes I like to play with words and meanings...sometimes simple works better.

I write about both things I know and things I don't. For example, most of the songs I write about God are accurate depictions of my thoughts and experiences with that relationship.

On the other hand, I write love songs despite never having had a girlfriend. The only love song I've ever written that was actually based on experience was about this dream I had one time.

The music is probably more important, but if you do poorly enough with the lyrics, your song is doomed.

I'll usually write about fictional characters or take a personal experience or that of a friend and expand it into a 'story'. I get writer's block pretty bad, though. It mainly comes from self-consciousness and a fear of using cliche that can be incapacitating.

I find that the quicker I write a song-or at least the first draft-the better...

...but I digress....

I try to write about experiences which I have had, but only the ones that someone else can relate to. If the melody comes first, I play it over and over untill it brings out a feeling or emotion then start working on words to fit it. When the words come first I try to develope a musical "picture" to go along with them. Some of my better ideas just happen, like in the middle of a jam session.

seedyapartment said:
What do you guys write songs about? Whatever comes to mind?
Not whatever comes to mind, exactly, but whatever comes to mind regularly enough to catch my attention and that also carries some emotional weight with it. If the topic doesn't move me, then any song I might write about isn't going to move anyone else.

Do you write about things you can relate to, or experiences? Or do you write about things you have no clue about and just see what comes of it?
In my case, the experiences I can relate to are often the very things about which I have no clue. It's kind of win-win situation, no?

Actually, I often start off with something very familiar and find that in the process of grappling with it I get carried into deeper realms that I, in my usual cluelessness, hadn't realized were there.

Do you write about tired things, such as love?
When you find yourself referring to love as a "tired thing," it's probably time to get a new relationship.

Do you find that the lyrics matter more, or the music?
We beat this one to death already in the following thread: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=164142&highlight=lyrics+matter. Enjoy.

Back