Sonar XL 2.0will not install w/o directx 8.1?

K9SaVeLLi

I recently re-installed windows XP pro and dl'd all of the updates. When I try to install Sonar XL 2.0 it tells me that it "doesn't detect directX ver. 8.1" and it is going to install it...then re-boot the system and then install sonar after reboot. But after re-boot the program does load...it just intalls directx 8.1 with the same message to reboot again...and again...and again. you get the picture. It never recognizes that i just installed directx 8.1.

Well, the problem is that after dl'ing the win updates i now have directX 9. I have tried to install sonar a bunch of times and nothings doing. I tried a few things to no avail. It's like because i have directX 9 the program never sees 8.1 and the cpu doens't want to use 8.1 because of the updated version.

Anybody else run into this...better yet...anybody know how i can get my shiet to work again???

Thanks everybody!

The above works, but this may be easier...

Select START then RUN then enter REGEDIT and press enter:
In the dir struc to the left browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/DIRECTX

Change value to 4.08.01.0810

Essentially, this tricks the system into thinking it has ver 4.08. Then the new version will run fine!

Sultan5000 said:

In the dir struc to the left browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/DIRECTX

Essentially, this tricks the system into thinking it has ver 4.08. Then the new version will run fine!

Sultan,

Using the Cakewalk method would be the preferred. Making that change might effect other programs that use DirectX, I can't confirm this, but say one needs DirectX 9 and the reg says it version 4..

Just a thought,

Porter

Yeah Ok just make a note of the previous direct X settings in the registry and return them after the install. Sonar only needs those settings for an install.

Thanks Johnhoe for that reminder. Porter had a valid point considering the partial instructions I provided. I knew there was something else that was supposed to be done. I feel much better now, thank you!

Thanks guys...it worked! I just changed the directX version in the registry and BAM! Back in business. Thanks for the info...you guys rock!

SPINSTERWUN said:
I agree that it is the quicker solution.
Really? Using the DirectX Utility, you're good to go in two seconds. And you don't have to change the registry at all (and of course change it back when you're done).

man, this forum is so beautiful.

i just got a new 3.2ghz dell laptop and was all excited about doing some beats on it.

i bought an edirol pcr-30 so i can make beats while i watch the big screen rather than going down into the unfinished dungeon.

AND I COULDN'T GET SONAR2.0 TO INSTALL!!!!!!

til my homies came to the rescue.

i get bye with a little help from my pingers.

Sonar XL -Thank you Sulatan5000

"Thank you Sultan5000, believe or not i have years without using it after spending 400 dollars and only use few times, cause i move to Vzla and then to Cairo. So frustrating and thanks to you i installed the program again. thank you, thank you, thank you"

Back