Sonar 5 trim question

Steve West

I am sending my ADAT tracks into Sonar to do mixing and editing. Some of my tracks are a bit hot and I want to trim them down. When I move the input trims above the sliders they do nothing. How do I get the trims to work?

Steve

You can set each track lto peak out like at -6, or -12 and so forth or you can pre set the level before you even record onto that specific track or tracks..

Steve West said:
... Some of my tracks are a bit hot and I want to trim them down.
Before or after they're in there? Trim (gain) once they're in. But nothing in Sonar will effect them at the inport or transfer stage. But if it's a digi transfer they shouldn't be exceeding zero right?
Wayne

I would think if it's a digital transfer they should not be exceeding zero, assuming you are using the same bit depth and sample rate.

However, what sort of audio interface are you using? I don't use the digital inputs on my M Audio Audiophile, but I know that they can be set to Consumer or Pro level in the Audiophile control panel, and that presumably affects the level.

When I record audio, adjusting the trim changes the level of the recorded audio, so I don't know why it isn't working for you.

However, I would suggest the first place to try is the control panel or your audio interface.

jamie_drum said:
I would think if it's a digital transfer they should not be exceeding zero, assuming you are using the same bit depth and sample rate.

However, what sort of audio interface are you using? I don't use the digital QUOTE]

Well, I'm going into a HDSP9652 card from my ADAT machine through an optic link. I recorded the tracks on the ADAT a little hot, (a little red shownig from time to time), but I don't hear any distortion until I play back the downloaded tracks from my computer. I do notice that the track levels in Sonar and Samplitude show a hotter signal coming in than what I am reading on the ADAT meters. When I monitor the ADAT signal in Totalmix I don't hear any distortion as it's coming in and out of the card. For some reason the tracks are peaking out in the download process.
Now here is something to think about for awhile.

Steve

No gain in Sonar

No, no matter what I use-Samplitude, Sonar, Protools,Audition. For some reason I have to keep my levels on the ADAT 3db lower when I record because once it's dumped into my computer the gain rises to peak levels. It must have something to do with the way my computer handles my optic sound card.

Steve

Or the level readout isnt accurate. I have noticed differences between formats. Maybe your levels on your ADAT are just reading incorrectly?

ADAT level

DavidK said:
Or the level readout isnt accurate. I have noticed differences between formats. Maybe your levels on your ADAT are just reading incorrectly?

Here's what I found. If you are just using the ADAT machine for analog in and analog out you can hit the red often with out audible distortion. However, if you are using just optic digital there is no forgiveness. One time through the "red door" and you have breakup. I don't know why this is, but I now know to record 3db lower when using optic outs.
Steve

Back