Sonar 3 with/vs HyperSonic VSTi

neon glow

I wasn't sure which forum it fits, cakewalk or cubase, since the host is Sonar 3, but the problem is with Hypersonic from Steinberg. After all I think this one fits better.

I add Hypersonic synth to my project. I create few midi inputs, each for specific midi channel in Hypersonic. (I used up channels 1 - 6). Now, i have to assign a track in Sonar, which is going to be an output from Hypersonic's out. I made only one ouput, for main out. So different channels of midi go into Hypersonic, and hypersonic playes them all out through the main out, using instruments that I assigned to the channels in Hypersonic. Everything's ok.. But when I recorded some midi music on channels 4, 5 or 6 (i'm not sure), the volume of all the channels started to go crazy. You know, there are two volumes that you can change in Sonar. The topper one goes up to 127 (i'm talking about midi track). The bottom one goes really high up. So, whenever I change the top one, the volume of the track changes appropriately. When I change the bottom volume (of those midi tracks, which go to channels 5 and 6 in Hypersonic), for some reason it affects the volume of all tracks that go to Hypersonic, and the volume suddenly becomes very quiet for some of the tracks. It's a whole mess up, which makes me feel very sad and lonely. :) Anyway. I tried to reassign the recordings of 5th and 6th channel to channels 7 and 8. It still did affect the volume of the rest of the tracks. What the hell is going on?

I hope i described the problem clearly. If not, ask me, as I really need it solved. Can't continue working with a very nice piece.

Same thing happens with me and Reason.

I think you need to use an audio return track for each instruments output in your VSTi, rather than just use the one audio return for everything.

As you describe, if you don't do this, you will get into a precedence issue where each change to a single midi track will be reflected onto every other midi track.

That's how I got over it in Reason.

Ciao,

:) Q.

Thanks. I tried creating multiple outputs from Hypersonic, and assigning them to different audio tracks in Sonar, but it didn't help. When I change volume, other tracks still get messed up.

Hmmm.... maybe have a look in Sonar's OPTIONS-PROJECT and OPTIONS-GLOBAL and try toggling options related to echoing MIDI data to other tracks?

If not - ask James Argo, our resident MIDI expert.....

Good luck,

Q.

Well, I don't use Hypersonic, so please bear w/ me :) Hey, I'm about to visit a friend who has it this saturday. I'll bring your problem in, and see if I can help :)

;)
Jaymz

Thanks... I don't even know if the problem is in Hypersonic. Hope something will be revealed by your friend. : )

James Argo said:
Well, I don't use Hypersonic, so please bear w/ me :) Hey, I'm about to visit a friend who has it this saturday. I'll bring your problem in, and see if I can help :)

;)
Jaymz

I love your work sir, I love your work.

Hi neon glow,
Sorry it took longer than I thought. Anyway, I had a problem figuring out what went wrong because he uses Cubase SX. And Hypersonic runs smooth in Cubase (no wonder, Steinberg stuff)... Adn I must admit, the sounds are verrrry nice :)

So, I brought my sonar copy, and install it on his PC. Make necessary adjustment, and insert Hypersonic as VST. Sonar crashed right away... :eek: I'm not sure why, I re-checked the usb dongle, sonar update, etc etc. Whenever I insert it, Sonar crash. Other DXis run fine tought. So, I "borrow" his cd & install it @ home. Same thing... Sonar crash after I load Hypersonic. Hours of trial and error, nada... :(

I wonder how could this beautifull sounding baby runs on you, but not on me... :confused:

Anyway, I wrote some note from our Cubase session about Hypersonic default setting regarding your question. If you open the "Setup" menu where you must select "Monox2 output", "Stereo" or "Quad output" for each channels, by default only channels 1~4 selected! You *probably* need to select all 16 channel (set to either monox2, Stereo, or Quad), and save it as default. Maybe it's the answer of your Qs. It's yours to try :)

Cheers.
;)
Jaymz

Good day, colleague :)

It's really strange that Hypersonic didn't work on Sonar (and I was talking about Sonar 3 Producer) for you, but I overwhelmingly appreciate your attempt to set it up. Big thanks to you. :) I can't think of any problems with inserting hypersonic. I don't even remember if it's a natural DXi or I had to run it through VST adapter. Veeery strange. When was the last time you completely reinstalled your (or your friend's) OS?... Maybe you both have something installed, that is incompatible with HS... These should not make any trouble:
The Grand, Edirol Orchestral, FM7, DR-008, Amplitube, Ozone.. (just trying to remember what I have installed). Think of some progs that you both have on your comps. Maybe they're the culprit.

The sounds of that synth are nice, for sure :).

I've already tried the solution you suggested before. I had 10 channels, and made separate outputs for each (set 10 outputs to Stereo mode). But it didn't help, and volume of one track still affected the rest of them that go through HS.

Now, I have a consequent question about the volume. Ok, let's just live with the fact that the bottom volume of one midi track is always going to affect all the other tracks. But what about the top volume of the midi track? It doesn't go higher than 127. And I need it to go higher, but I can't use the bottom one, since it doesn't work properly. You might suggest just raising the volume of the output audio track, but that's different. When you raise volume of midi, the synthesizer uses different samples to play it, and the sound becomes different. But if you raise volume of audio track, samples remain the same, just play louder, and that's not what I want. How can i make volume of midi higher than 127 without using the bottom slider?

Well, I'm not sure if I ran the latest update of Hypersonic (was it updated?) It's version 1.0 if I'm not mistaken. And it's VST, I need to re-run adapter to scan new plugin before starting Sonar. I think those in my list of plugins are "safe" ones.

True MIDI volume has range of 0~127. so, 127 is maximum. "Top slider" volume you meant must be velocity slider (or some call it "MIDI Trim"). It only adds (or substract) overall velocity of the track. It does affect the sound if the sample being triggered is multi sample (velocity layered). True MIDI volume (CC07) doesn't change sound the way velocity does.

;)
Jaymz

Now, when I know some terms, i feel much more comfortable explaining the problem. Thx. :) (I meant it without sarcasm, really learning things gradually)

Here's the problem: how can I increase velocity without touching the trim slider? :D

Last edited:
James Argo said:
So, I brought my sonar copy, and install it on his PC. Make necessary adjustment, and insert Hypersonic as VST. Sonar crashed right away... :eek: I'm not sure why, I re-checked the usb dongle, sonar update, etc etc. Whenever I insert it, Sonar crash. Other DXis run fine tought. So, I "borrow" his cd & install it @ home. Same thing... Sonar crash after I load Hypersonic. Hours of trial and error, nada... :(

Jaymz

Gotta love this place... You're the man, James, you're the man.

Back