Sonar 3 better than ProTools?

BenneB

Is sonar 3 as good as protools and other programs. I would like to see how high or low people rank this program against the industry standard protools.

Is a Ford better than Chevy? or how about Honda and Toyota? Same here ....... depends on the user. Some liek Sonar and Some liek Protools. They both do the same functions and basically Sonar is the King in PC world and Protools in Mac.

Jeyan said:
They both do the same functions and basically Sonar is the King in PC world and Protools in Mac.

That's not entirely true.... At least the makers of Cubase wouldn't like to hear you describe the market that way.

Think of it like this - Sonar is an entry level product rapidly growing itself into a tool for serious studio use. (The) Pro Tools (range) is(are) a serious studio tool sort of trying to capture the entry level home recording market.

Q.

Jeyan said:
Is a Ford better than Chevy? or how about Honda and Toyota?

Funny you say that. When I was buying Sonar, they guy was trying to sell be Cubase.. he was an avid user of Cubase. I wanted to buy Sonar.. he was used the example of a car travelling from Sydney to Melbourne.. comparing (I think he used) a new model Volvo to an older model Toyota.. my father pointed out that both cars will get there, it's just the way that you travel.

Me, I chose Sonar.. why? Well I had played around with ProTools Free and then had seen the option of Sonar. I thought value for money (and since then equipment), it was the better options. From what I've heard, the Pre-amps in the Digi001 aren't the best, and ProTools only (?) works with ProTools equipment, where as Sonar works with pretty much any sound card that supports MME, WDM or ASIO drivers.

Also remember, when you are referring to comparing ProTools to Sonar you would be comparing ProTools LE, not the full blown version which is used in the studios. ProTools LE is limited to 32 tracks (so of the guys here use way over that count) and I don't know how much they are, however ProTools (I think) only support RTAS and AudioSuite plug-in's, I don't think they support DXI or VST plug-ins, from what I've seen there are a lot more. ProTools also has one big limitation on the Mac (from what I've heard of a guy running a Digi001) is that you need to have two mac running if you want to record 8 tracks at once.

If I'm wrong, please correct me. All I know is that I looked at the options and went Sonar.. it was the right choice for me.

Porter

sound card for sonar 3?

Could anyone suggest an apropiate sound card that is fine for recording a couple of tracks at a time for home use using Sonar 3. I can only spend a minimal amout of money as I am a UNI student on a extremly tight budget.

I am doing a Bachlor of Multimedia majoring in Sound Production

Use the search function of the site and then compare to your local retail price.

A lot of stuff quoted on here is US-centric and the prices get all screwed up after importation into Australia.

Also, once you have worked out your bang for buck, don't forget to check online stuff like the tradinpost and ebay.com.au

FWIW - I ended up ordering a card in the US and importing it here. Even after paying the GST it cost me 50% of the Australian RRP. Just a thought...........

:) Q.

Re: sound card for sonar 3?

BenneB said:
Could anyone suggest an apropiate sound card that is fine for recording a couple of tracks at a time for home use using Sonar 3. I can only spend a minimal amout of money as I am a UNI student on a extremly tight budget.
Check out the Delta cards by M-Audio. :)

Qwerty said:
Or just trust Porter's summary........

The Cubase thing is related to the fact that music distribution and retail make more points per product sold importing Cubase as opposed to Sonar.

Sonar does represent the best value for money with increasingly few sonic compromises.

Q.

cubase you say? hmmm i overlooked cubase before but i think i might swing back around and take a better look

ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*
ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS* ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS* ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*ACKUS*

I used sonar for about 2 years with my sblive, then when i wanted to get a good soundcard, I went with the digi001 so that I could use it with ASIO for sonar, and at the same time learn protools software, because its the industry standard.

Having used both, my opinion is that Sonar is much more powerful, easier to use (especially for editing), waaaaaaay less demanding on your system, and just all around better.

That being said, I'm sure there are lots of protools users that would say the same about sonar, and I'm also sure that the fact that I'm so used to sonar and protools is a lot different has a play in my opinion.

But yeah, thats what someone thats used both thinks.

well i had a fun time explaining to a band how record some things using nuendo.....i got tired of after 30 minutes cause i explained how to do stuff as if i was using sonar....i told them to just record the tracks and send me the wav. files and I'd put it together on my comp....i can say for the most part I'm pretty much stuck on sonar.

Re: Manual

BenneB said:
Does anyone know where to get a free electronic copy of the sonar 3 manual?

Don't believe that you can get one... Why do you need it?

Porter

Back