[Solved] Volume 'falling' off after a few seconds

Hoespilaar

I am trying to record some electric guitar into ableton live 10. My set up is as follows: guitar => Line 6 Firehawk FX (Effect panel) => Behringer xenyx 802 (mixing panel) => PC
I've also used this mixing panel to record vocals, where I have experienced the same problem.

The problem: If I, for example, just strum a chord on my guitar and let it ring out, the waveform looks like this.

problem.png

As you can see, after a few moments of the chord ringing, the volume suddenly falls. I've had this problem since I got this mixing board, persistent on microphone and guitar.
It is also persisten with Phantom power on or off.

Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

How are you recording from an 802 into a PC? If you are going into the 3.5mm jack you are using the computer's internal sound card, never a good move. It should not decay like that though unless you have some sort of 'effect' activated in the Sound Menu.

One easy check, does the sound decay from the mixer's headphone jack? If not you have a problem with the PC's sound card.

I strongly advise you to get an external Audio Interface, if money is REALLY tight, even the $25 Behringer UCA202 is a vast improvement on internal sound cards*. Even if the mixer has a USB connection they are almost all awful, noisy 16bit devices on those mixers. Note, the X802 is otherwise a very usable device. I have one that has run in a bedroom non stop for 6 years!

*Often they have very good sound quality but for home recording their operational facilities can be a PITA!

Dave.

How are you recording from an 802 into a PC? If you are going into the 3.5mm jack you are using the computer's internal sound card, never a good move. It should not decay like that though unless you have some sort of 'effect' activated in the Sound Menu.

One easy check, does the sound decay from the mixer's headphone jack? If not you have a problem with the PC's sound card.

I strongly advise you to get an external Audio Interface, if money is REALLY tight, even the $25 Behringer UCA202 is a vast improvement on internal sound cards*. Even if the mixer has a USB connection they are almost all awful, noisy 16bit devices on those mixers. Note, the X802 is otherwise a very usable device. I have one that has run in a bedroom non stop for 6 years!

*Often they have very good sound quality but for home recording their operational facilities can be a PITA!

Dave.
I see. I did a small test, and the problem indeed lies with my pc's audio interface. I'll look if I can replace my mixer with an actuall audio interface.

Thanks again.

I see. I did a small test, and the problem indeed lies with my pc's audio interface. I'll look if I can replace my mixer with an actuall audio interface.

Thanks again.
Well, I don't know your circumstances but a small mixer is probably one of THE most useful things the HR bod can have after a good interface, cans and mic (and a digital mmeter IMO!) If it can be changed for no loss, ok but second hand you will get naff all for it.

If you can run to one, the MOTU M2 is a really stonking AI. All the specifications are close to practical, physical limits. VOs with an SM58? nay bother. The M4 is the same (had one till last Friday, getting another soon) but has 2 extra line ins and outs so if you kept the mixer you would be able to record 4 discrete microphone tracks.

Lower in price but still excellent. Native Instruments KA6, had one for ages and I suspect the simple K2 is just as good.
Must not forget Behringer! I had a UMC204HD and that was very close to the KA6 in most departments. In fact, nobody makes a 'bad' interface these days. I would however caution you strongly to avoid the very cheap 'one lunged' jobs with a single mic input. You WILL regret getting one of those.

Have a good think about what you want to do and especially where you might develop to in the future. Maybe have mates to jam with?

Dave.

Back