Soloing: when to use major or minor pentatonic

No, I mean Steve Vai played the classical part (Paganini, I recall) that defeated his character. Ry Cooder played the Ralph Macchio blues parts.
Yeah, I read that too... that that during the final showdown Steve Vai performed all of the Paganini on electric that Macchio's character and his own played. But earlier in the movie when Macchio's character played the classical guitar, it was William Kanengiser of the LA Guitar Quartet doing the part. I'm still amazed at Ralph Macchio's ability to "finger sync" the various parts, even with all the coaching he got for it.

Tim

Last edited:
Timothy Lawler said:
Yeah, I read that too... that that during the final showdown Steve Vai performed all of the Paganini on electric that Macchio's character and his own played. But earlier in the movie when Macchio's character played the classical guitar, it was William Kanengiser of the LA Guitar Quartet doing the part. I'm still amazed at Ralph Macchio's ability to "finger sync" the various parts, even with all the coaching he got for it.

Tim
Wow, the Crossroads legend still grows. I'd heard (but this was back when the movie came out, I had no way of verifying it) that it was Arlon Roth who played the blues parts. Where can I find out for certain?

Macchio reportedly took lessons and practiced for months on those guitar parts. He wanted it to look like he was playing. I saw an interview and he could actually still play some of it... I imagine that he actually got good because they can spend up to two weeks just filming one scene...

Rokket said:
Wow, the Crossroads legend still grows. I'd heard (but this was back when the movie came out, I had no way of verifying it) that it was Arlon Roth who played the blues parts. Where can I find out for certain?

imdb.com credits Ry Cooder for original music for the film.

Rokket said:

Macchio reportedly took lessons and practiced for months on those guitar parts. He wanted it to look like he was playing. I saw an interview and he could actually still play some of it... I imagine that he actually got good because they can spend up to two weeks just filming one scene...

Arlen Roth was the one who coached Ralph Macchio

Man that was a good movie. I'll have to rent it this weekend and check the credits. Maybe make a double-header-music-movie-nite with something like Return of Eddie and the Cruisers. Quite a contrast, huh? HA.

Tim

famous beagle said:
This is very true. The best method is to learn what you can, let it soak in, forget about it, and play.

True. When in doubt, try it. If it sounds bad, either don't do it again, or do it again immediately to show that you did it intentionally. ;^)

Usually, if you hit a wrong note, one that will work is only a half step away. I like harmonic minor scales myself. Most of the stuff I play is major/minor penatonics but for me,the modes come in handy for different things. We have a song in the key of A major and the bassist plays an E Mixolydian lick in a couple of spots. It's all whatever works and sounds good to your ears.

Back