Solid bass amps for a rock band?

.. Sometimes you can buy great cabs (like a Peavey 1820) that are unloaded for cheap (bought my first one for $50.) Then hit up EV or whoever's speakers you like and load 'er up..
There's a fun sounding bass cab. Bit of a job in the 'pack and move dept.
One nice thing about sets of tens' good one at least, is lots of cone surface per box size- and the high extension out of the same cab.

In the opposite boat. Trying to go smaller.

Lifting, packing and carrying large heads and wheeling 8*10 cabinets around on Saturday night are not my gig. In the home studio, I just want nice tone. So for live gigging, take weight into consideration.

I've run a Genz Benz GBE 1200 and 750 with a Genz Benz Uber 8*10 cabinet. For my needs, it is a little heavy to move around, and way too loud. Looking to move to a 2*12 cabinet at some stage.

My recommendations are based on the latest and greatest technology, bang for your buck, weight, and build quality.

Bass Heads

Probably the biggest improvement has been in the weight department. You can get micro-heads from GK and Genz Benz now, some of which are nearly small enough to fit in your pocket.

Never under-estimate the value of having a lightweight bass amplifier head. Specifically, I am talking about these heads:

Gallien Kruger: GALLIEN KRUEGER GK MB FUSION , 500 WATT HYBRID ULTRA LIGHT AMP | Bass Centre

The watts-weight ratio is extreme and the GK tone is exceptional.

Genz Benz: Streamliner Series | GENZ BENZ

Both amps would have a tube powered pre-amp with 12AX7 tubes. So check the weight of the head before you buy. You may really appreciate these as working player's bass heads.

Bass Cabinets

Here, I recommend two lightweight cabinets:

First and foremost, a Bergantino Neodynium speaker cabinet 2*12 is probably the best cabinet on the market at the moment.

cn212-web.jpg

Secondly, a Genz Benz Neodynium NX2 series, also 2*12 - Genz Benz NX2 2*12 Neodynium Speaker Cabinet

The only issue with Genz Benz is that they have been bought out by Fender, are hard to get, and they may not exist too much longer if Fender kill them off like they have been known to do.

But for quality of build etc and tone control, I love owning them, and can only say they are some of the nicest things I have ever purchased.

Because of your budget, these products may not be your first options, but if you can make some money playing bass, they could be worth saving up for.

I hope that gives you some ideas.

Last edited:
I concur with the thoughts expressed on here about Peavey by some of you. They are truly the underdog of amps because the brand is often considered to be pretty "low-brow." However, I had a Peavey combo for probably 15 years that never failed me, even rolled down a flight of stairs once after being dropped. Aside from one knob breaking off it kept going for a long time after that.

However, these days I use a Line 6 Lowdown 300 bass amp. I love this thing. It is wonderful to have the effects built right in along with the tuner. It's a little awkward at 90 lbs. but the first thing I did is put casters on it and it's all good. Unless I missed a comment or two on here didn't see Line 6 mentioned so maybe there's no love for them here but mine has been great. Got it used from GC for around $250 about 3 years ago and never had an issue with the amp.

Just my opinion of course.

However, these days I use a Line 6 Lowdown 300 bass amp. I love this thing. It is wonderful to have the effects built right in along with the tuner. It's a little awkward at 90 lbs. but the first thing I did is put casters on it and it's all good. Unless I missed a comment or two on here didn't see Line 6 mentioned so maybe there's no love for them here but mine has been great. Got it used from GC for around $250 about 3 years ago and never had an issue with the amp.

Just my opinion of course.

90 pounds?!? Holy scoliosis! That's freaking massive! Is that average for most bass rigs? I'm a guitarist so 30 or 40 lbs is a ton for my amps. I can't imagine hauling a 90 lb beast in and out of the car/truck.

I actually just bought my first bass amp yesterday, just a little Ampeg 1x10 for recording. But the Line6 Lowdown series came up as I was shopping and researching. I'll admit that I have a bias against Line6, but they looked kinda cool for the price. It sounds like 300W wouldn't be enough for the OP, and I'd be afraid to ask what a higher-wattage unit in that line would weigh!

Back