Solid bass amps for a rock band?

chaimesparker

I'm looking for a solid bass amp that can handle gigging out. I'm mostly playing 60s-70s style rock music. I've got a pretty tight budget, but am willing to dish what I can for an amp I can be happy with for a good long while. $700 is probably the most I can do.

Any suggestions?

700 might buy a good used amp - have you looked around at the local pawn shops, craigslist, want ads, music stores? My friend uses Ampeg and used to use Fender both are solid state pre with tube power amps.

Orange Bass Terror. It's just a head, you'll need a cab, and both will go over your budget a little, but it's really small and light and sounds friggin killer.

I got a SWR SM400S (a 500 watt head) on ebay for 250 bucks and it rocks. I gig out with it a LOT and it has fallen off dollies and tailgates to the concrete several times with no problems. So find something like that for 250-300 and then grab a 4x10 cab of some kind.

Last edited:
I remember my first bass amp when I was a teenager. It might have been 50 watts, and shortly after I bought it, it spewed out blue smoke and died. There's something to be said for the newer amps these days, even though they cost a lot more, they are pretty dependable.

Do you want solid state or solid/rugged?
I have a very solid/rugged bass amp & extremely solid/rugges bass cab. Each would cost more than you're willing to pay I fear - combined they cost $660 second hand but that was in about 85.

I play a GK 400rb with a MBE212. The 400rbs pop up on craigslist for around 200 all the time and they sound great. The MBE is a bit costly but also super light weight. You can definitely score a cheap cab that will sound nice Used. I like GK, Hartke, and Ampeg. Be sure to get something that can move some air 2X12, 4X10 etc. I started with a 2X10 and blew it after a year from having to crank it too much.

If you are putting together a "bitza" then my view would be to put the bulk of the cash into a really solid cab. Bass demands power so a 2x12 800W cab is by no means an overkill, if you want the real depths you might need a 15incher. (maybe with a 10" for a bit of attack?).

You might not be able to afford a big enough amp to start with but you can get by with say 200W and keep an eye out for a more powerful one.

"They" say valve powered bass stages sound good? Mebbe so but ain't they hot and heavy? And a new sextet of KT88s or similar is a serious wedge.

Dave.

I bought a 400W ampeg 2 x 10 10 years ago and have never had a problem with it. You could probably find one used for $700.

I bought a 400W ampeg 2 x 10 10 years ago and have never had a problem with it. You could probably find one used for $700.
not enough amp for a rock band ...... 2x10 just isn't enough unless you're gonna get a lotta your sound outta the PA.

not enough amp for a rock band ...... 2x10 just isn't enough unless you're gonna get a lotta your sound outta the PA.

Really? I play in a band with three guitarists and Keys and the BA500 keeps up without breaking a sweat. I guess it depends on the size of the venue.

Anyway, there are 2 BA500s on ebay - far cheaper than I thought. One is buy it now at $325 and the other at $425 but they're both local pickup only in California and Ohio.

Really? .
yes ........ really ...........
I also play bass in bands and I also have a 2x10 with 500 watts going to it and it will do enough in a small venue as long as the band is VERY moderate with it's volume. As soon as it starts getting very loud 2x10s just won't move enough air.

I also play bass in bands and I also have a 2x10 with 500 watts going to it and it will do enough in a small venue as long as the band is VERY moderate with it's volume. As soon as it starts getting very loud 2x10s just won't move enough air.

IBB plays chick-rock so it's no big deal.

That's interesting. I didn't think all amps with equal wattages were the same volume. For example my 50 watt DC-5 will blow the doors off some 100 watt half stacks. But my 50 watt Orange will not. Both have a 12 inch speaker. Nor did I think speaker size was a constraint on loudness.

You used to post in the Cave as much as anyone, but now you're just butthurt cause they kicked you out of there.

I did post in there, back when it was entertaining and there was an interesting cross-section of people there. It hasn't been that way for quite a while. Now it's just useless trolling shut-ins that argue about nonsense. I got banned from the cave because I used to regularly hurt the feelings of crybabies like you. Think about it, I was banned from a section of the board that only exists for trolls to fight with eachother. I was that good. I was like Mike Tyson in a children's beginner karate class. What does that say about you? Lol. I've been allowed back in the cave for a long time now though. Step your game up and maybe I'll go back.

That's interesting. I didn't think all amps with equal wattages were the same volume. For example my 50 watt DC-5 will blow the doors off some 100 watt half stacks. But my 50 watt Orange will not. Both have a 12 inch speaker. Nor did I think speaker size was a constraint on loudness.
IF they actually have the same wattage they will be around the same volume but speakers can have very different efficiencies.
If you take 1 12" speaker and it's 3 or 4 db more efficient it will be WAY louder than the one that's 3 or 4 db less efficient.

And while speaker size isn't necessarily a constraint on loudness .... for a bass actually moving air matters. 2x10s only have a certain amount of cone area and, unless they're VERY large excursion drivers can only move just so much air.

Obviously if you feel you have plenty of volume in your band , how can I argue against that? You feel you do and that's the only thing that matters.
But as a hired gun that regularly plays with all sorts of bands .... my experience is that you need at least a 4x10 and at least 400 watts to be able to really keep up with most rock bands.

If you take 1 12" speaker and it's 2 or 4 db more efficient it will be WAY louder than the one that's 3 or 4 db less efficient.

This for sure. My 2x12 Vintage 30 cab (100db speakers) is noticeably louder than my 4x12 cab which has a mix of 96-97 db speakers. Same amp, same settings, the 2x12 is louder because the speakers are louder.

Back