Software compressor

tonypgl

What do you think guys?
Does recording with a compressor in real-time is the same with compression after the recording?
Is there any software compressor that could do this in real time?
Is there a big difference beetwen a software compressor and a hardware one?
Thanks

I use very little compression if any while tracking
All software compressors can but you'll need to check the multitrack program you're using that compressor in
There's a lot of difference IMO buy YMMV

how about...

Maybe a limiter will be better? As an example... my vocalist sometimes screams a little to much, and making that waveforms "go crazy". After compression the waveform is just flat... and if i turn the volume down i don't have the same power... So i'd love some power but not death metal... :p
So, i'd need something to make that waveform curved, but not max flat.
Could his "moving to and from the mic" to help with the dynamics, be bad?

Here's an example...
go to www.tipicalalice.go.ro/demos.html and download Tipical Alice - Scoala (nu ne place)
You'll see on the chorus what i'm talking about.
Thanks

Had a listen, cool tune. Yeah some compression will help that out but not as much as him learning a little mic technque. Vocal sounds a bit toasted in places actualy. I'd bring the levels down when tracking, once it's in hit it with some compression to level it out and bring the level back up.

....and tune that bass man :p

*please Note*

Just had this idiot message me on Yahoo...... He's using warez of Sonar5, Fruity Loops and Cubase......

I think he's had enough help from us already. :)

LemonTree said:
Just had this idiot message me on Yahoo...... He's using warez of Sonar5, Fruity Loops and Cubase......

I think he's had enough help from us already. :)
Agreed.

(10 chars)

Thanks guys

Yeah guys, thanks a lot...
Please tell me, would you buy a 700 $ software just for recording ONE demo?
If i may dear AMERICAN CITIZEN, this idiot has a monthly salary of 130 $, just because i didn't get as lucky as you, and i was born in a shitty country.
I am to blame for using warez... but you should really get your heads out of your fancy wormholes and take a look around.

Anyway, probablly i'll get my account deleted or something like that for ofencing a great user but a real jerk.

tonypgl said:
If i may dear AMERICAN CITIZEN, this idiot has a monthly salary of 130 $, just because i didn't get as lucky as you, and i was born in a shitty country.
I am to blame for using warez... but you should really get your heads out of your fancy wormholes and take a look around.

Anyway, probablly i'll get my account deleted or something like that for ofencing a great user but a real jerk.

For a kickoff...I'm Scottish, I too came from a real shithole, broken home, single parent family, no employment industrial slum shithole! Did I mention it was a real shithole already? Music was my escape. I stuck in at it and took more than my share of crap jobs to help me on my way.

Now, there's plenty FREE software out there, there's plenty of DEMO software out there and if you really only want to do "one demo" get yourself along to a studio where an engineer with years of experience can make you sound atleast half decent instead of downloading cracked software that cost me a months wages to buy just to find out your shitty $5 stock soundcard isn't gonna cut the mustard with it.

If your braincell count ever doubles and you end up with two you might want to look into the ethics of software piracy and realise honest hard working people like myself are paying hiked software prices to cover the loss people like YOU are costing the software companys.

Now, DO ONE before I twat you round the head with a wet salmon :mad:

Ok, what you're saying is that "if you don't have enough money for the software, go to a recording studio to record"
I'm sorry that you "not so american but still waaay much better paid than scums like me" have to pay more for your software. of course you realise that software companies are losing just because people never buy the software after getting it cracked... so please think of it this way: I WOULD OF NEVER BUY IT EVEN IF I DIDN'T HAD IT CRACKED, because i'd work 1-2 years for 3-4 freaking CDs.
Anyway... share your bank account with me, and you have my word that i'll give you 10$ back for the software that you overpaid. ;)

You just hung yourself kid. You can be sure of that. Best you could do around here is keep your mouth shut and read like it's going out of fashion and take it all in cause you aint ever gonna get any help around here with that attitude.

tonypgl said:
Ok, what you're saying is that "if you don't have enough money for the software, go to a recording studio to record"
I'm sorry that you "not so american but still waaay much better paid than scums like me" have to pay more for your software. of course you realise that software companies are losing just because people never buy the software after getting it cracked... so please think of it this way: I WOULD OF NEVER BUY IT EVEN IF I DIDN'T HAD IT CRACKED, because i'd work 1-2 years for 3-4 freaking CDs.
Anyway... share your bank account with me, and you have my word that i'll give you 10$ back for the software that you overpaid. ;)

Be sure you send me a CD so I can make a bunch of copies to sell on ebay for $1.

tonypgl said:

oh boo fucking hoo. :rolleyes:
You're 20 years old????
Are you handicapped?
What country do you live in where the conditions are so bad that you are unable to work harder and get a better job in time?
Is free money and free software your RIGHT because you are poor?
I was poor my whole fucking life and luckily my mother had enough sense to teach me that hard work was how to get where and what I wanted. (as opposed to stealing it because you feel entitled)

Quit yer bitchin, moaning and crying, get off yer ass and save. Nobody owes you anything.

You have a point there! I broke into the music store and stole a Martin Guitar because would you pay $2000 to use the guitar for one open mic? I was just going to do one song (Bob Dylan's Blowin' In the Wind)

<end sarcasm>

Dude - Welcome to Planet Earth. If you don't have the money for something, you do without it. Case closed!

tonypgl said:

Ok, im running for the worst rep points user on this forum.
I must say that i am very sorry for what i have done and i'll get as many jobs as i need and i'll work that hard, as "in time" i'll raise the minimum waige to my entire nation as my old pal gbondo here says.

<end sarcasm??>

You really don't get it do you? I'm not moaning, i never needed any help (financial) from others and i'm not a guy that says "i'm poor, that's why i steal".

You try to make a little conversion.

130$ my monthly salary vs 3000$ at least, your salary.

30$/month it would take exactly 2 years to get a 700 $ software (cubase), assuming i don't die while trying to work harder as i was adviced by gbondo, here.
For you... what the hell... let's go large and buy it of one month salary... it's.... yeah.. about one week. And still, western countries are the "best" at software piracy. Or, think of it this way at your salary, compared to mine... cubase costs: 16.000 $ :eek: Oooooh, tell me about hard work now.
If you were in the desert, and a glass of water was..... suspended in the air, would you build a piramid for the next 2 years to get to it, or would you jump and reach for it? Well it's about the same thing... the thirst makes you forget about conscience... And than you begin to wonder... is conscience going to feed me? Don't know... maybe you are right... and i admited i'm doing a bad thing, but damn i'm so thirsty.
Anyway i know that whatever i will say now, will not matter to you... "YOU JUST HAVE TO WORK HARDER"

Here is an old saying from my country about people like you:

"Sa-mi sugeti pula labarilor, tocmai un popor de poponari sa imi dea lectii de morala pirateriei? Vorba lu' Chirila: "ei" sunt de vina futu-i in gura sa-i fut."

P.S
You could start to make the conversions to all of the others gear that you have... Shure sm57 = 3000 $, decent audio card = 5000 $, decent studio mixer 90.000 $. COME ON, LET'S START WORKING HARDER. Don't worry it's just a nightmare... for you... for others it's reality... :)

tonypgl said:
You really don't get it do you? I'm not moaning, i never needed any help (financial) from others and i'm not a guy that says "i'm poor, that's why i steal".

Actually that exactly what your saying. You just try to justify it as well by saying it costs more than you are willing to pay.

tonypgl said:
130$ my monthly salary vs 3000$ at least, your salary.
you have no idea what you are talking about.

tonypgl said:
30$/month it would take exactly 2 years to get a 700 $ software (cubase), assuming i don't die while trying to work harder as i was adviced by gbondo, here.
I started working in a restaurant at the age of 8. I bought my first drumkit with my own money at the age of 14.
It took me another 14 years to finally get the guitar Ive always wanted.
I have no sympathy for you. Stealing is stealing. And that is what you are doing.

tonypgl said:
Oooooh, tell me about hard work now.
whatever helps ya sleep at night my morally defunct friend. :rolleyes:
tonypgl said:
If you were in the desert, and a glass of water was..... suspended in the air, would you build a piramid for the next 2 years to get to it, or would you jump and reach for it? Well it's about the same thing...
you need cubase to survive? lets see....food, water, shelter, sonar.....
douche....

tonypgl said:
the thirst makes you forget about conscience... And than you begin to wonder... is conscience going to feed me? Don't know... maybe you are right... and i admited i'm doing a bad thing, but damn i'm so thirsty.
This is the biggest load horseshit I've ever read Your justification for theft is appalling.

tonypgl said:
Here is an old saying from my country about people like you:

"Sa-mi sugeti pula labarilor, tocmai un popor de poponari sa imi dea lectii de morala pirateriei? Vorba lu' Chirila: "ei" sunt de vina futu-i in gura sa-i fut."
Translation: If someone else has something I want - but I am too lazy and impatient to earn it - I will just take it because I want it. I deserve it because I want it now.

LemonTree said:
I'm surprised he's still here :rolleyes:
Im suprised he can afford the electricity to run a computer and subscribe to the internet with all his bitchin about his $130 a month salary.
I'll bet it took him 6 years to buy a goddam computer.

Oh wait.

When you're in the romanian desert and a computer is floating above you saying "Drink from my bits", I geuss you can just steal it from the poor SOB's house who did work 6 years for it.

or something like that.

Last edited:
Back