softening the 's' sound in one's voice

While I have a problem with sibilence. I use my dbx 263 to get rid of it. I have had problems with deessers built into Preamps doing an effective job of this.

I got my dbx 263 for under 25.00 on ebay.

dbx 263 de-esser

Darrin et all:
There are 2 dbx 263 de-essers on ebay that I think I might bid on, but one is dbx 263 X and one is dbx 263 A and I have no idea which I should get. Can you help? Thanks. And how does this work? Do you plug it into the green port at the back of the computer? Joan

One of my friends really had problems with sibilance. He really got on our nerves and we took out his tongue. Now he's still annoying, but at least no ssssssss.... And he tends to talk less in public too...

Ii oo eaey u ou hi onue??? Amn! Aa mu-ua hur!:D

Joan, the big boys are having fun, but I don't think they know how easily they can confuse you, or how useless their banter is for meeting your needs. Don't get sucked in by using gear you don't understand to electronically solve your problem. What Littledog said is a good place to start. Point the mic at an angle to the stream of your breath (off axis) rather than pointed right at your mouth (on axis).
Next, give up the idea that the mic by itself will just capture your voice the way you want. It won't, any more than a camera captures things perfectly, so you don't really need a photographer. God, I know it's work, but you have to control your sibilants/sibilance (both words work in this case, just for the pedantic above). Controlling your sss's requires you to *think* while you're recording, and take responsibility for how your words are formed and sounded. As a singer, I understand that a microphone is a *tool*, which you can use well or badly. First, turn it to the side a little, then simply hiss less, shortening and softening all your s's. If you have a continuing problem that really, really cannot be solved by technique, only then consider de-esser plug-ins. Don't buy expensive gear to cover up poor technique- improve your technique. Hope this helps.-Richie

Thank you, Richard

I'm so relieved by your reply. It puts the results back in my own hands. Much appreciated. Joan

Richard's Advice

After a little time at this recording journey, I just wanted to say that you gave me some of the best advice anyone could have. Of course, I did get sucked into 'gear' I didn't understand, so only then was I fully able to appreciate your words. Thanks, Richard. I'm cooler now. Joan

Back