softening the 's' sound in one's voice

Joan

Does anyone have some easy tips to accomplish softening the 's' sounds in voice, particularly a word that ends in 's'. I'm narrating audio books, and I cringe when I hear that. Probably more exaggerated to me than anyone else, but I'd really like to eliminate it if I can. Thank you.

Thank you. Where do I find that?

I know very little about all of this (which is why I'm a newbie) but did download goldwave from goldwave.com yesterday; it's a shareward editing program, and very affordable at $55.00. Canadian

Before you look at processing the signal,you might want to put a pop filter in front of the mic while you are recording.You can make your own by making a loop of coat hanger wire and stretching a piece of pantyhose over it,then put it about 2-3 inches or so in front of the mic. I used to leave enough wire hanging off the loop to bend it around and duct tape it to the mic stand. See if that helps your sibilance problem.It will also keep "p's" from popping on your track.
I just downloaded the shareware goldwave a couple days ago.So far I don't see a de esser in it,but maybe someone more familiar with the program can help you with that.

Good luck!

AlChuck said:
SPINSTERWUN, you silly bant, it's sibilance...

:eek: Oooooops. :eek:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

p.s. AlChuck, I meant to type sibilance. I was just making sure that you knew how to spell the word. :D

peace....

spin

Last edited:
Yes, I did know how to spell sibilance.

But I looked it up, anyway. (Smile.) Thanks so much everyone for your help. Much appreciated. What good ideas. Joan
www.joanhallhovey.com
I'll have sound bites on that site one of these days.

One of my friends really had problems with sibilance. He really got on our nerves and we took out his tongue. Now he's still annoying, but at least no ssssssss.... And he tends to talk less in public too...

Actually, a "sibilant" is a one-time occurence of "SSSSS" sounds in speech, "sibilants" are multiple occasions, and "sibilance" is the condition of having more treble response in the frequency band that "SSSSS's" live in than you need or want... Tho, you're both right, now thtop being tho thilly... :=) Steve (Thteve)

Hey, Steve... you're pretty cocky for a newbie :D

Anyway, pop filters are good for stopping plosives (like p's) but don't do much to fricatives or sibilants.

What does sometimes help is rotating the microphone a bit so that it is off axis to the vocal source.

Good de-essers, while they exist, are not easy to come by at bottom feeder prices. There are ways to "roll your own" using an eq and a compressor with a side chain input, but sounds like Joan wouldn't have that type of gear. Try the off-axis trick - costs nothing.

Good luck!

.......you know..... ive tryed a de-essssssser and it doesssssssnt sssssssseem to help. The guy at the local musssssssic store sssssssaid that the only thing that might help would be a big gagger of coke to calm down my lissssssssssssp. ...whatya think:D :D :D :D

I've always found that recording vocals while laying face-down on a thick rug in my own vomit with the mic behind my head is the best way to avoid the need for a de-esser... Steve

Back