So...What's next?

ElegyOfficial

Well...I kind of posted a forum about this recently but, its kinda dying out so i' kinda reopening it.

In my other post i was asking what i need to get next for my studio, and ya'll suggested some stuff. I took those suggestions and did some research and got all the products some of you suggested i get (Acoustic treatment, mics, etc.)

So now here is my gear

Auralex wall crap bass traps etc.
Some great M-Audio monitors
M-Audio Fast Track Pro (Interface)
M-Audio DMP3 (Preamp)
Oxygen49 (MIDI keyboard)
Pro Tools and some plug ins i got (DAW)
GREAT computer
Behringer 1222FX (mixer)
GREAT mics MXL 990, Shure SM57, SM58, AT2020 and a few more
CAD drum mics.
And all the accessories for all of these items - (mic stands, pop filters, etc.)

What else is there? I mean my mixes sound better than ever before! But i don't know i'm kinda making a business out of recording bands and such so i allowed to buy some more gear haha.

What i really want is something that has the same importance as a preamp (Like, something you need outside of your DAW that you couldn't edit in your DAW, for example a preamp, but i already have a preamp) I would thing a noise gate or something would be what i'm about, but idk just ima input kinda guy, I record guitar plugging it into my interface, i use MIDI drums from my friends MIDI Drum kit (technically mine). So my preamp comes in handy, and i want to get something that could better my input (just like my preamp)

But anyway, suggestions will truly help here. I have a good amount of budget money left i can spend on recording gear. Try to suggest plug ins or some good like input crap (like our discussion with the preamp) and any other things you might think could better my studio :)

I record Bands, not really rap or techno haha if that helps.

A noise gate will likely provide little to no benefit in your setup. The two things I would look at to take it to the next level are... 1) better room treatment. There are big improvements to be had here and I'm confident that you wont get there with Auralex foam and 2) an interface that allows more simultaneous inputs. Especially if you are doing drums. I'd say for recording bands, 8 ins would be minimum.

A noise gate will likely provide little to no benefit in your setup. The two things I would look at to take it to the next level are... 1) better room treatment. There are big improvements to be had here and I'm confident that you wont get there with Auralex foam and 2) an interface that allows more simultaneous inputs. Especially if you are doing drums. I'd say for recording bands, 8 ins would be minimum.

Didn't necessarily mean thats what i was getting i was using a noise gate for an example as of which it is something that could benefit outside your DAW from input :)

1.) Never said foam, they make other stuff too, I did get some foam stuff for my monitors though, and they made it sound a bit better :)
2.) I truly like my interface, and all i need are 2 inputs since i have my MIDI kit, and if a band ABSOLUTELY for some reason HAS TO HAVE real drums recorded, my behringer mixer sounds amazing hooked up to FTP, and my mics are sound decent, but i know that mixer inside and out haha i can add effects to it :)

Thanks for the quick response sir +1 :)

Didn't necessarily mean thats what i was getting i was using a noise gate for an example as of which it is something that could benefit outside your DAW from input :)

1.) Never said foam, they make other stuff too, I did get some foam stuff for my monitors though, and they made it sound a bit better :)
2.) I truly like my interface, and all i need are 2 inputs since i have my MIDI kit, and if a band ABSOLUTELY for some reason HAS TO HAVE real drums recorded, my behringer mixer sounds amazing hooked up to FTP, and my mics are sound decent, but i know that mixer inside and out haha i can add effects to it :)

Thanks for the quick response sir +1 :)

Still, I'd seriously consider another interface capable of more than 2 tracks. When you start recording bands, you're gonna run into mixing 8 channels of drums down to 2 tracks. Once you've done this, you're dead in the water when you want to calm that snare down later cause it's dominating the landscape the vox are using or that kick is obliterating the bass. You're much better off with at least 8 channels streaming to the DAW so you can at least isolate the kick and snare.

Back