So what D'yall think of this guitar???

Honestly I'm thinking both. I realize that for recording it's not going to be the best, but it'll probably beat the hell out of my 60$ classical guitar :D. I've tried it out and found it surprisingly easy to play.
Basically this would be my first uhhh...acoustic. It's also a roundback body. The guy at the shop also noted that it stayed in tune very well, considering the amount of people who play it, but that was a salesman too.

I love the way these things play. For live use it's probably very good if you have a good amp. For recording it probably stinks IF you're looking for good pure acoustic sound. If you're playing some kind of rock - where you don't need real woody acoustic or you're going to use effects, it might work - kind of depends on what sound you're looking for. For live and recording, I'd try to find a nice solid top Takemine or Alvarez cheap, one that amplifies fairly well through a pickup but yet has a decent tone to mic up. The Ovations surely do play good though.

The thinline pickup is a cost saver but the preamp is good.....I've got 2 country artists with OP 30's.

If you like the back and neck I don't see how you can go wrong.
If you like the way it sounds acoustically, all the better. My experience with Ovations is that they sound better in playback, especially in the mix, than they do when recording. Trouble is is that I don't see a soundhole.

Phil,
It has multiple soundholes in the top toward the neck. The Adamas thing......I pretty much play Ovations exclusively because of the action. For recording, you have to play with the sound to get it right. I don't get that classic dreadnaught sound, but I think an Ovation should sound like an Ovation.

bd

Thanks for the replies people!

Yes, I found merely playing the guitar to be a good experience, joyous even. As far as the body shape and neck shape, yes I also can appreciate that (this coming from the owner of a coupla BC RICH's), and I also thought the superthin body would make it fit easier into stowage places when travelling (in a case of course). As stated there are soundhole/s...at the top.

As far as acoustic sound, it's definately not as loud or upfront as your typical acoustic guitar, but to my untrained ear, satisfying anyhow :D.

I dunno, I picked it up and it felt right, ya know what I mean? So I think I'll be getting one.

Thanks again :) .

Go for it

It's not like your dumping 2 grand and your going to feel guilty.

For that kind of money you can play it and enjoy it.
I've got a celebrity that I find real easy to play. With the "plug it in and hit the record button" setup I am able to do alot with the sound.

If you like how it plays, I can't see how you could go wrong!

hey if its cheap and you like it more power to you!!! my northern buddy...but if all else fails, you could turn it into a nifty lamp, maybe a table...or keep your house warm for...like....30 seconds.

freak

PS:....just buy it, youll feel better.

Bass Freak said:
hey if its cheap and you like it more power to you!!! my northern buddy...but if all else fails, you could turn it into a nifty lamp, maybe a table...or keep your house warm for...like....30 seconds.

freak

PS:....just buy it, youll feel better.

Are you saying I'm cheap ? :eek: ?

j/k :D.

Yea, come payday I'm gettin it...I'll have to burn one of the Warlocks to keep the house warm though, cause the gas bill ain't gettin paid :D.

who needs gas when its summer?

have fun playing in the cold, make sure you wear some gloves to keep those fretting fingers moving....

freak

The lack of a sound hole is not a problem, it's an advantage, because you can put a mic right on the soundboard without boom, like a Mcpherson. Personally, I never heard a plastic guitar that didn't sound like shit, including some over $1000 USA, but that's not important. What's important is whether the guitar talks to *you*, and it obviously does. In your price range, I'd be looking at Washburns and Seagulls. You have to follow your heart, and love *your* guitar. What the hell?-Richie

Kelly5150 said:
It doesn't get cold in Canada...

:D

Yea man, thats cause were born cryogenic-like, so we don't notice blizzards and shit. :D

Richard,
Yes, it does speak to me. I agree that the plasticy part may sound like shit, but hey, who can beat a guitar that talks to ya :D?

Personally, I'd rather be strung up by my toes than be forced to listen to the God-awful 'tone' (...and I use that word VERY loosely) of an Ovation Plasti-coustic.

Here's another idea...

Get a Taylor Big Baby and install an L.R. Baggs Micro EQ system in it.
It will sound rich, warm, and gloriously sweet.... and you'll still be way under $500 US.

Also, guys with REAL acoustic guitars won't mock you. :D

Mock Away...

...but I'll have one and you wont.

I think if I'm going all out on a wooden acoustic I would probably be spending a lot more coin. However, at this point and time, I am liking plastic.

I very much appreciate the input though, I will keep this kindof thing in mind, as should others in my kindof situation, who, happen to stumble upon this thread. I think. Then again, what do I know?...

In my travels testing acoustics...I believe I also tested out an Alverez with some Fishman electronics in it, for about the same price. Honestly this may be a better guitar for acoustic purists, but I'm thinking, my own personal transition to an acoustic guitarist, may be long, slow, and painfully plastic.

Eventually, I will have saved enough for a wicked electric too. I know my Wrlocks aren't the greatest, but they are fully functional. I would hope to get some sweetass Les Paul/Gibson eventually, but finances are a bitch so I will make do.

Again, thanks for all the replies people :), it is muchly appreciated.

Time to pass out now :D.

Back