so i have a tape recorder, this is a really stupid question

cello_pudding

i got it from the thrift store...put batteries in it. will rewind and play...i don't have any actual tapes to play....only blank...but it makes tape fuzz noise when i push play.

it won't record though. i push down the play and the record buttons at the same time...rewind...play back...and i just hear tape fuzz.

Is there something i have to do to the tape or is the player just broken.

This is not high tech at all. it's just an old soundwave c1001.

is there anything i can do to fix it?

e022_1.JPG

okay...i found an actual tape and played it...just a fizz noise. no bach

the speaker seems to work, the motors on the inside definitely are rewinding and playing and whatnot...just no noise....perhaps just a wire?

i'll open it up. perhaps take a picture of the thing

2nd question???

Not to be insulting, but that shoebox cassette deck would have very poor sound quality only suited for voice dictation.

Why wouldn't you search deeper in thrift shops (or eBay) & hold out for something like this, which may cost $20 & would sound way better!

(Technics RS-B48R):eek:;)

Attachments

• 1-Technics RS-B48R.jpg
    1-Technics RS-B48R.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 84
Try...

Try cleaning the head. It should by shiny & metallic like a mirror.

It may be impossible to see, but try to determine if the head is lifted up entirely to contact the tape surface when Play is pressed.

I'd just look for another. It could be many things but you could probably fix it if you really, really wanted too. In some recorders theres there's two metal contacts that touch when you press play if it's oxidize you can just get noise. You use deoxit and clean it out.

thanks a bunch.

i tried to clean it off, but i'm guessing deoxidizing something will require more than just a cloth and cleaner.

i'll head to...radioshack or something for some deoxit

i went to radio shack and they only had tape cleaners. i got it to clean the heads off...but i think deoxit would be different.

i ran it a few times with no avail. these things have no instructions besides to put some dabs on and play the tape.

would it be bad to do this twice in a row? it says not to rewind.

perhaps i'll try to find a best buy type of place. google said radioshack would be it.

i went to radio shack and they only had tape cleaners. i got it to clean the heads off...but i think deoxit would be different.

i ran it a few times with no avail. these things have no instructions besides to put some dabs on and play the tape.

would it be bad to do this twice in a row? it says not to rewind.

perhaps i'll try to find a best buy type of place. google said radioshack would be it.

Oh, you got a cassette cleaner. You can play the whole thing through if you want, it's just trying to clean the heads but it may not do a great job.
If you get the little bottle of head cleaner they now have again at radio shack, that's good stuff, just use a q tip and scrub the heads. It's probably not the problem though. If you get deoxit don't use it on the heads if that's what you're thinking.You can get a good sized can of deoxit at Guitar Center if there's one near you. Radio shack sells little cans but they're expensive. You use that to clean the internal metal parts that make contact....any sliders, volume pots...

If you get sick of messing with this recorder, you can always shell out some cash for a new one while you're at Radio Shack. I think I bought mine there.

It's absolutely fantastic.

dude how much did u pay for this thing? I think those tape cleaners run for like $10 at radioshack (bought one for the car), do you think trying to fix it is out running the cost of buying a new one? Just wondering...
luck,
James

just curious...

the 2 metal contacts is referring to what?

anything in these pictures?

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/audio-music/cassette2.htm

No, they are usually inside the deck connected to the buttons. If that type of recorder has them at all. I don't know I just know the portable tape decks I have have them and they get oxidized. You have to take the whole thing apart and look to see what moves when you press the buttons. Or just go to the store and buy another one for 10 bucks. :D

Back