So I done a free recording......

LemonTree

Suck 'em and see!
......trying to generate some business by offering 1 song sessions for free to new bands/artists using my studio.

This young lad came in and played scratch guitar and vocals to a click, layed down the drums then the bass then the electric guitar then redone the acoustic and the vocals. 3 hour session for free and he's booked a weekend next month and paid a deposit. This is definately the way forward for me I think.

Here's the result......

Liam Brook - Glass Tiger

320 Kbs dropbox file, just click and it plays.

Electric guitar didn't really do it for me. The drums sound really 70's. The snare is a bit too papery for me, and the kick is kind of pillowy. It sounds like the bottom of the snare is mic'ed. Maybe take some of that down in the mix. Maybe if you added some verb to the guitars, it would sound less suckish. The song itself is jumping all over the place. Not your fault though :D

Decent mix, could be better.

Jeez what an awful song. :laughings:

You did a good job with the recording and mix though. I'm not crazy about some of the tones and stuff going on, but it's all there, clear and audible.

I agree. the electric guitar in the intro sounds like ass. Some reverb would help, but I don't think that can fix the overall suckiness of the part itself. The drums definitely have a 70's vibe. Maybe the snare could use some more crack? The kick sounds good.

......trying to generate some business by offering 1 song sessions for free to new bands/artists using my studio.

Lemon,

Filling vacant, available studio time is important for a commercial studio as you know, and I'm going to share with you something that I had a fair amount of success with when I had a pro studio many moons ago.

I offered "The Gift of Song", which was essentially a $250 gift certificate that anyone could buy and give it to someone else as a gift, and the recipient of the gift certificate would then come in with some tapes or CD's of what they want to sing against, I'd run those through a vocal zapper, then record their voice on top on used/demagnitized 24-ch tape and they'd get pizza, soda and a t-shirt out of the deal as well. The price included two burned and printed CD's of the 4-6 song they'd get to record, and optionally they could spend money and buy more copies to hand out to other people.

I'd be happy to give you more detail if you'd like it, but I outlined it in this thread about five years ago:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=106450

Yeah granted, the song wasn't up to much and I coulda spent a lot more time on it. I've polished it up a bit since posting and sent it to him. Obviously a paying customer I wouldn't have let them walk out the door with that :)

Back