So all I got now is.

Bennyvx78

Hi people.

I've got a Pc with a soundblaster audigy 2Zs with a xternal
device with a sorts of connections. Line in - spdif in/out - Midi in/out.
etc. And It works nicely. I try'd to make a few recordings with it.
But I still feel like there's something missing. Can you folks tell what
that is? Should I get a great mixer/rec. console. Some monitors and
those mic. preamps and compressors?

What do I really need? I also want to rec. 2 amps at once.

Thanks in advance.

depends what you are trying to do/record and your budget..

Id say an audio interface and monitors are a necessity..a mixer not so much...mixers and compressors can be covered with software..are you using a sequencer/DAW?

forget the audigy really...its for gamers more than anything else

all IMHO of course ;)

Ooh yeah' :o I forgot. I want to record Guitar and keyboard.
DAW has to do with programs like sonar 8 and Cubase right? The audigy isn't that bad.
Im still doin' it as a hobby. I hear everybody recommands pro-tools.
Are those M-audio devices a good start?

I used to think a Soundblaster was ok too, then I learned the truth... it's a gamer card, not a recording interface. Sure it will work but the quality is so lacking compared to a real audio interface will amaze you, it sure made a difference for me. When I first wanted to get into digital recording I let a salesman talk me into a Soundblaster and Cakewalk Music Creator for software, I quickly became so frustrated that I almost gave up on the idea of computer recording. If you are serious about wanting to be able to make quality recordings you will soon become dissatisfied with a soundcard and realize you need a firewire audio interface. If your budget is limited at least try a usb interface (m-box or similar) to get much better recordings. I learned (the hard way- trial and error) that it takes more than a decent computer and a mic to make decent recordings, and a lot more to make really good recordings.

I don't know if you are missing it but you didn't mention the room you are recording in. Sound treating your room is the most overlooked part of the recording equation and probably what you need the most. Dollars to donuts you want to improve your source before you even think about hitting that record button.

Thanks for all the great advice so far. One of the sound sources is gonna
be a Isolationbox. A big wooden box with sound isolation and Oak
inside. That where the Guitaramps will go. And the keyboards will go
via Midi in think.

there are free and cheap DAWs out there...Reaper and Mixcraft get props from folks here..

M Audio make great interfaces and chances are they will come with either a version of pro tools, or ableton Lite on the cheaper ones...both will be more than enough to get you started...and keep you going..line 6 are a good proposition due to the free guitar software with them (also pretty good for vocals)..Pod Farm = yum yum

welcome and enjoy..I went to bed at 1am last night thinking of a cello sample...I woke up at 7am thinking of a cello sample

its some hobby mate :)

Absolutly .. That music just won't let go. You're always "stuck" behind
that damm machine at 03:00, Still trying to get that 'something'
and so and so..

I'll give that M-audio a try, Protools seems interresting.
I got a shure sm-57 dynamic mic. Any other mics I should be
lookin' for?

Back