Snare ring making me nuts

guttapercha

Hi,

My snare sounded great with the stock batter head, but it was time for a change. So....I put a powerstroke3 on (as part of a pinstripe bulk pack) and now there's a crazy ring that I can't seem to get rid of. I've tried all kinds of things with duct tape, but it's not attenuated enough for my liking. I've also tried tuning it up/down, but I'm still getting it.

JD

apl said:
If your recording, scroll down to Snare Drum.

Thanks, this is helpful. Unfortunately, I'm premixing my drums and then recording a stereo input to my DAW because my interface has just two tracks. Doing the Sweep EQ thing in my situation will the rest of the kit sound.

I know that the drum is good sounding because it was fine with the previous head (the stock TAMA head). If I can't tweak it with the powerstroke, I might just try a different head.

Thanks again all,

JD

I have almost the same problem with my taye snare. Ive had it for over a year and Ive never had trouble tuning it. But for some reason, last time i changed heads it got a nasty ring and I cant get rid of it for the life of me. It still comes though with mounds of duct tape, different tunings. What I do now to fix it is just notch out the offending frequencies in my daw, but that probably wont work with only 2 tracks.

Are you sure you're tuning properly?
If so, all you can do is muffle it. Moongel, in the right spot, can work wonders. There's also something else I like to use, "Studio Rings". I believe Remo makes some called Remo-O's. Simply thin drum-head like strips that you set on the top heads of drums, they really help to muffle.

aww shit i forgot about the o-rings...
those are great.
im sure u could find some on ebay for a great price, not that they are expensive in the first place... thats where i got mine for an incredible price

I used to be a devout ring user, but the Moon Gels give you much better control IMO. It's easier to tame a ring without overdampening the whole head.

mmm i like to overdampen, i have an old pearl world series 8 piece set...
it sounds great with a bunch of dampening shit...
mini emad strips, moon gels, o rings, band aids(for the low budget crowd... works great actually)

random.hero said:
mini emad strips, moon gels, o rings, band aids(for the low budget crowd... works great actually)
Well, whatever works for the sound you want, of course.....

I should've added a YMMV! :D

I would reccomend the moongels. IMO the e-rings or whatever they call them seem to dampen the drum too much. Your best bet is to dry a bunch of different things and see what sounds best. Also, when you're trying different dampening methods don't just listen from behind the set, have a friend or someone that knows what they're doing play the drums that are dampened while you stand in front of the set and listen. Just my 2 cents.

random.hero said:

If that's the case, you should just go over to Evan's Oilheads. Then you won't need to put anything on the drum.

Tim

Bottom head makes a HUGE difference. Top head is about pitch and feel, but most of your overtones, character, and sensitivity is coming from the bottom. I would tighten it. Wha? I know...you're already getting high-pitched ringing. Trust me...tightening the bottom head will tend to choke much of the ringing. Get 'er on up there...tight; then play the batter head a bit more loosely.

BTW...anyone putting duct tape on a drum should have their balls dipped in honey, before being suspended above a pit of hungry bears.

PYRRHO said:
Bottom head makes a HUGE difference. Top head is about pitch and feel, but most of your overtones, character, and sensitivity is coming from the bottom. I would tighten it. Wha? I know...you're already getting high-pitched ringing. Trust me...tightening the bottom head will tend to choke much of the ringing. Get 'er on up there...tight; then play the batter head a bit more loosely.

BTW...anyone putting duct tape on a drum should have their balls dipped in honey, before being suspended above a pit of hungry bears.

Why? Because you once read that somewhere and you figured the guy saying it knew more about how drums should sound? lol. Come on, we aren't talking the 70's Jo Walsh cardboard sound here (unless that's what someone wants). Many things, including duct (actually it was first called DUCK) tape, O-rings, Moon gel etc., will work, they all do the same thing, muffle the sound. Now, I'm with you, I like getting the ring out as best I can by tuning as I like a open sound much of the time, but a little duct tape (or a hundred other things) can certianly help.

One of the biggest things drummer don't understand is the room acoustics are what often times causes ringing, not the drum itself. Ever get your drums to sound great then move them to a different room or even a different spot in the same room and all of a sudden they sound like crap? My drums used to ring like a bell, a mattress set up behind me against the back wall took care of it all, it was if magically the drums tuned themselves. :D

Back