Snare rattle

Thanks for all the replies. Just got back from recording. Our drummer tightened up his snare and we moved some things around and it is a little better. I suppose i'm being a little anal about it. It's just that i'm the one who is 'producing' this little project and perhaps i'm focusing on it too much. The rest of the guys are fine with the recordings and tell me they sound good. I want all the excitement of a live performance with studio quality sound, and i guess i need to find a happy medium. Really, the hardest part for me will be to overdubb the singing. I have to really be 'on' to get what i want and to me that means faking it somewhat. I know we're being stubborn about isolating amps and using headphones, but our whole deal is the improvising in parts of the songs. That's our strength as a unit and what we do well. Lots of folks play good songs but we love to see where we can take it. When we are 'on' there is no better feeling and that's what we try to capture. A CD full of 'on' moments is my goal. We even try to have a small audience, just a few friends, so we can show off while we record. But it's hard to get them to stay long because as most of us know, it can get boring listening to guys hammer away on the same few songs. So, i'll just keep trying. Thanks again to everyone.

Try taking 2 layers of tissue paper and inserting them between your snare strings and the bottom head(2 layers on each side).....maybe even fold them once. It will not take away from the original snare sound but it usually helps with snare buzz...I do it all of the time.

Who do you do voodoo ?

Try taking 2 layers of tissue paper and inserting them between your snare strings and the bottom head(2 layers on each side).....maybe even fold them once. It will not take away from the original snare sound but it usually helps with snare buzz...I do it all of the time.
My mate from Zambia did a similar thing except he'd tape a small folded piece of paper onto the snare. We were having real irritating buzzes until he did that. But he had to use the right small amount of paper. And that snare had the snap, the crackle and the pop !
Funnilly enough, it only buzzed with him ! And it's not been a problem for the last 18 months.

Here's a possible solution...

Before your next session, have the drummer carefully listen to his snare, without playing.

Then have each of the other players play a song by themself.

What you are looking for is if a particular instrument or part of a song is creating a sympathetic vibration on the snare.

If you are able to identify a particular instrument or portion of a song, do some very slight tuning of the snare drum and adjusting the snares to see if you can eliminate the sympathetic vibration.

While not guaranteed, it is possible that you can eliminate the problem by using this method. It does not require drastic returning, just a slight amount.

I have a crash/ride cymbal with rivets mounted on my bass drum. My 14" floor tom was creating a sympathetic vibration with the cymbal, causing the rivets to vibrate. It took about 1/16 of a turn of a drum key on two of the lugs to eliminate it. And the change in tone on the tom wasn't even noticable.

I know that retuning the snare before each song can be a total pita (I've been playing for 45 years), but recording drums well is as much an art as a science, and nobody ever claimed it was easy...

Without compromise your options are limited. I use a damper made by Sonor on my snare to eliminate buzz and get rid of unwanted overtones. I am staunchly against dampening any drums other than the snare and kick. This little damper does wonders for snare buzz but does not completely rid you of it. Another thing is to make sure the drum isnt tuned to (or close to) the key of the song, this sucks because tuning drums to the key of the song is perhaps one of the best ways to get awesome sound.

I can understand the need for certain tricks in a recording situation to doctor up your gear for the mics. The idea of putting a shim under your snare wires or dampening a cymbal stand tube because you are getting a resonant hum are things that you do on the spot. Snare wires are the most difficult and frustrating thing to get just right when you are tuning your snare, but you can get them just right, but it requires some work. I see all of this as a part of the drummer's craft. I know a lot of drummers that just want to go out there and play and they don't spend a lot of time honing their tuning. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to tuning my drums and I catch a lot of grief for it from other drummers, but they all love playing my drums and are always asking what my trick is to get such good sound. There's no trick, just a lot of hard work.

A lot of the sessions that I play at, I may use the studio kit, but I always bring my own snare, metal, pedal and hi-hat. I get there early enough that I can adjust the tuning of the kick and toms and set them up. It's never completely to my liking, but I make it work well enough. You are only going to sound as good as your skills in equal mix with how good your instrument sounds.

I also prefer to record in a live session, but I don't like it if all the musicians are in the same room. I've done my share of recording overdubs when I'm hired for a session and that is the way most recordings are done, but when it comes to our band, we prefer to record in live session, but with isolated tracks. Most of the studios we record in have a windowed drum room, an isolated room for singer or an acoustic instrument and another isolated room (all with windows) in addition to the larger room where the musicians with direct-ins can work together. We can see each other and hear each other on the cans. Even on stage in a loud club, I will wear an in ear monitor. This isn't the 1940's and we are working with a lot of electric sound. You really need to hear what's happening.

What you hear sitting over your kit isn't the same as what's heard in the audience and it certainly isn't the same as how the mics are hearing it.

Doesn't anybody use their snare throw off any more? At those times when the drums are silent, we old timers always throw off the snare wires (cause there is always a very slight buzz when the bass is playing those few notes that will effect the snare) and then you throw them on again before you play. It just becomes a habit after a while.

I suggest you rethink your attitude and accept that playing in the studio is going to require different disciplines than practice (like wearing head phones). Even playing live, you come to depend on stage monitors.

Doesn't anybody use their snare throw off any more? At those times when the drums are silent, we old timers always throw off the snare wires (cause there is always a very slight buzz when the bass is playing those few notes that will effect the snare) and then you throw them on again before you play. It just becomes a habit after a while.

Yeah I do that all the time.

Back