Small Mixer for Recording/Monitoring??

thebusker

Hi, New member here; I hope this is the correct forum, apologies if not, but I really could use some advice.
I am looking for a small mixer for recording/monitoring in Garage Band. At the moment I am using a Behringer xenyx 1002fx.
I would like to find a similar size small mixer (2 x Mic / 4 x line inputs), but with a dedicated "Control Room/Phones" output that is separate from, and not dependent on, the Main Mix for it's feed.
This is in order that I can turn down my Main Mix (feeding active monitor speakers) when necessary, but still get a high level from the Control Room/Phones out, to feed the headphones.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers..........Brian

Last edited:
You could just use a monitor amp for this. HA4700 would handle the task quite well. Got mine off CL for $50.

A monitor controller would do this as well, but for $300, that wouldn't make sense.

Where you live? I could ship you my A Designs ATTY (passive attenuator) for $25 plus shipping. That could take care of it as well.

Or, just power down your monitors when want them off.

Yeah, there are headphone amps with line passthrough that would do the job.

I can't vouch for this. I think it'll do the job but it's just an example.

There are probably cheaper ones out there.

Thanks guys for your prompt replies. I have found a Soundcraft 124fx for silly money on the net., here in the UK; not much larger and has more facilities than my Behringer, including an independent monitor buss.......just what I was looking for!!

Cheers.........Brian

Hi Jimmy,

Firstly, I now find the 124fx doesn't have a separate monitor buss, (I was half asleep, late at night on the net when I looked at it :D), so it's back to the drawing board or more likely, I'll probably just take your first suggestion and simply turn down the monitor speakers!

After being seriously ill in '09, I have only recently got back in to performing and recording.

I mainly record a simple drum and a bass line to play behind acoustic guitars for live performance, but have in the past, recorded the odd CD for sale at gigs, and that is what I'm working on at the moment

Since the old Tascam days, I now only have a very simple home recording set up: MacBook Pro / Garage Band / Cakewalk UA-25EX usb audio interface / SE electronics sE2200a mic. / Behringer Xenyx1002 mixer / Yamaha MSP5 active monitors.

So far I have been getting what I think are quite reasonable results , but I'm always looking to improve!! ;)

Brian

Last edited:
Hell, I'm not sure I see why you need the mixer at all for recording. Seems you would be best just using you DAW's mixer and monitoring directly from the interface. That's how I do it anyway.

Hi Jimmy,
I have tried this, but find that the volume levels taken directly from the interface (through the headphones) are far to low for overdubbing.

Then I suppose the way you are doing it will work. Just put your monitors on a power strip. Flip the switch when you want them off. :)

Hi, thought you might be interested (or it may help someone else), I have solved it!

I have split the monitoring outputs from the usb audio interface in to two (2 x left, 2 x right).
I then have input 1 stereo pair in to a stereo line channel (that feeds the main mix and can be monitored through the speakers or muted as required), and the other stereo pair to the CD/Tape in.
I have then selected "CD/Tape to control room" so that signal only feeds the headphones, and is not affected by the main mix control.

Sorry for the repeat, didn't notice "page 2".............didn't think the first post had registered!!
Hi Jimmy,
I have sorted a solution; I thought you might be interested and thought it might just be of help to anyone else with the same issue; it was only an issue for me because volume controls on my monitor speakers are very awkward to access, being on the back and not at arms length.

I have split the monitor output from the usb interface in to two stereo pairs (2 x left & two x right) and have fed one stereo pair into a normal L/R line in on the mixer. I have fed the second stereo pair to the 2track (CD/Tape) return.

I have then assigned the (switchable) 2track return to the monitor/headphone bus that has it's own level control and works independently from the main mix giving me good monitoring levels at the headphones.
To switch back to speaker monitoring I simply increase the main mix fader.

Hope this makes sense; whatever, it works! :D

Last edited:
Back