sm7 vs sm58 / sm57 for vocals

folkrock75

Is there a cost justifiable difference between an sm7 and sm58 when using the mic for vocals in a simple bedroom recording setting?

I know it is subjective, but I recently purchased an sm81 for recording acoustic guitar, where I had previously recorded guitar with an sm57. To me, the quality of the sound was so drastically improved, the cost was very justified. In your opinions will I notice a similar comparison if I upgrade my vocal mic to the sm7?

I have spent time reading existing posts on this subject, but have not seen one that specifically adresses the cost difference on an amateur recording scale.

*Please- if there are existing threads, it is very helpful if you actually link to the thread, I have already spent time searching posts on this matter. Thanks! If it helps, my goal is not to produce professional studio results on an amateur's budget, but rather, just want to know if another upgrade will be truly worth it. I currently have an sm81, sm57, sm58, and at2020. thanks! ///

Probably yes - they're very different. Do you have a chance to try out an SM7? It's conceivable that the SM57 would sound better with a particular voice, but in general, I think everyone agrees (certainly including me) that the SM7 is much better all around for vocals.

I did a (TAB-Funkenwerk) transformer upgrade on a SM57 that I have, and I find myself using that mic more and more -- yet another option.

Justifiable is in the eye of the beholder. I like the sm7 but on vocals, in a mix, I think a lot of people couldn't tell the difference between the two. They are voiced very similar. I would try to borrow or rent one and decide for yourself. You certainly won't notice the difference between any two dynamics that you notice between a dynamic and a condenser. Differences in dynamics generally are subtle (excluding a few exceptions).

Generally, I'd say yes, a significant difference, but what's the rest of your recording chain? That will certainly have an impact on what you can record and hear.

Keep in mind that the SM7 is still a relatively inexpensive mic as these things go. A new one can be bought for a little over $300 and you can find used ones for less. Sometimes a lot less. I paid $200 each for my two SM7s and $275 (including shipping) for my SM7b. Despite the low price, it's more than good enough to use for pro (and amateur) recordings. No reason to settle for less just because you are recording at home. In fact, a good dynamic like the SM7 is in some ways more beneficial to home recordists than using a high end condenser. It is a much more forgiving mic when used in imperfect recording environments.

I would suggest to give your SM81 a try on your vocals. you may really like the sound and that would save you a little money in the short term. I have not used the SM7, but i really do like the sound of the SM81.
This is all personal preference on mic selection. Do what sounds good!
Peace.

SM81 wouldn't be my first, second or third choice in condensers for a vocal...

Or twentieth. Too bright. Remove the HF disc and maybe, but that's more than minor surgery.... Still, it would probably be a step up from an SM58 even if you used it stock.

I can think of a lot of mics I would suggest in the <$300 price range that I think are good for voice, but a lot of it depends on the voice. What's your vocal range (soprano, mezzo-soprano, alto, contralto, counter-tenor, tenor, baritone, bass) and general tone color (bright, thin, rich, dark, husky, etc.)?

Great Replies

Or twentieth. Too bright. Remove the HF disc and maybe, but that's more than minor surgery.... Still, it would probably be a step up from an SM58 even if you used it stock.

I can think of a lot of mics I would suggest in the <$300 price range that I think are good for voice, but a lot of it depends on the voice. What's your vocal range (soprano, mezzo-soprano, alto, contralto, counter-tenor, tenor, baritone, bass) and general tone color (bright, thin, rich, dark, husky, etc.)?

Thanks everyone for your responses! In regards to signal: mic > DMP3 > garageband.

Vocal range, I'm not familiar with all of the sub-categories, but somewhere in the middle, perhaps tenor? Color - perhaps bright or thin? Forgive me if those descriptors provide a conflicting image. I think my voice is fine, but would like the captured sound to be fuller and smoother. I find myself layering my vocals frequently, or adding in reverb to "smooth out" some of the abruptness of the vocals entering in and out of the mix.

Speaking subjectively in terms of quality of the sound, I just find the sm58 and at2020 to not fit well in the mix, for vocals. What I found to be the biggest difference in swapping my acoustic guitar mic to the sm81 was the fullness of the guitar sound, and the way the recorded sound felt clear and full at the same time. It may be an issue of sticking to it and learning the best way to deliver my vocals within the confines of my limited system. Or perhaps it may be that I am using garageband (suggestions welcome). Thoughts?

I tried a SM81 for vocals once - in my case it had way too much high end detail for my preference -- really brought out the spitty mouth noises.

Can you be more specific about how the SM58 doesn't fit right in the mix? That would help illustrate the issue. It has a midrange bump to help it cut through a cluttered live performance mix - could that be what you don't like?

I have tested in the past the SM81 and the included windscreen does help cut down on plosives, but it is still very prone. Anyway...

Last edited:
I think my voice is fine, but would like the captured sound to be fuller and smoother. I find myself layering my vocals frequently, or adding in reverb to "smooth out" some of the abruptness of the vocals entering in and out of the mix.

Well, some of this sounds like mic discipline, but "fuller" and "smoother" says to me you want to hear some optical compression like an LA2A. Try a plug on your tracks and let me know if that's the sound you're looking for.

IMHO rather than spending $200+ on a SM7, consider getting a nice parametric EQ,
partly as most likely you'll need one to futz with the SM7 anyway.
(Am a SM7 lover too!)

And unless you need both a SM58 & SM57, you could ditch the '58 as the SM57 has cleaner top end response. If you try to "place" it (try off to one side & parallel to the mouth
to further smooth it out) as well as possible, then some judicious EQing you'll typically get an excellent vocal sound out of either one. Yeah it's a bit of work, which is why IMHO people get down on the 57/58's.

BTW your AT2020 is a nice vocal mic, (have one too) how does that one work for you?

Chris

+ a lot

Agreed....if you must go for a very inexpensive condenser mic for vocals, try the MXL V67g with a good pop filter with your DMP-3...they're so cheap now, it's almost silly - yet they are very usable for most vocals.

Also second the suggestion for a good compression plug given the description of what you want.

Jay

bright and thin is like the Beatles, correct?

and rich and fat is like Elvis? no pun intended

Elvis was probably a baritone I'm thinking. I like Elvis' voice alot better than the Beatles and I'm probably a baritone that sounds more like Elvis than the Beatles. Although, not nearly as awesome as Elvis.

so I hate the bright, tinny stuff on my voice and wanna-be Elvis or Jim Morrison, so which mic? my condenser sounds great on the up close quiet stuff and it sounds like caca on the loud thundering Elvis-type stuff.

bright and thin is like the Beatles, correct?

and rich and fat is like Elvis? no pun intended

Elvis was probably a baritone I'm thinking. I like Elvis' voice alot better than the Beatles and I'm probably a baritone that sounds more like Elvis than the Beatles. Although, not nearly as awesome as Elvis.

so I hate the bright, tinny stuff on my voice and wanna-be Elvis or Jim Morrison, so which mic? my condenser sounds great on the up close quiet stuff and it sounds like caca on the loud thundering Elvis-type stuff.

Well, Elvis used, among other mics, the EV RE-16. Still available new and quite inexpensive used. Many of the Motown hits were recorded using an RE-16.

...so I hate the bright, tinny stuff on my voice and wanna-be Elvis or Jim Morrison, so which mic? my condenser sounds great on the up close quiet stuff and it sounds like caca on the loud thundering Elvis-type stuff.

What you're describing has much to do with the room, though of course the mic also has something to do with it...not to mention the preamp. Much of the time, assuming that nice gear and converters are being used, it's comb filtering from the recording space that produces thin vocals; I see this very often from tiny vocal booths (i.e., closets).

Frank

Back