sm57 clones...

Richard Monroe said:
Yo 666- what Noisedude said. Some mics have more markup in them than others. I have quite a bit of pull at Guitar Center. They sell SM57's for $80. I can buy them for- $80. They sell Sennheiser e835's and AKG D770's for $80. I can buy them for-$36. Either mic is as good, IMHO, as an SM57. Why buy a no-name clone of a 57 when you can get real Sennheisers and AKG's for about the same price as the cheap copy? The Sennheisers and AKG's are at least, real German and Austrian mics, not Chinese copies of American mics, and they are clones of nothing.-Richie

What he said...SM57's aren't expensive mics...they're a standard and affordable. Anything cheaper is just...cheap. Don't mean to bust your chops but these mics are still the cheapest usable mics on the market and you can still be proud to own them.

drpfeffer said:
Have a listen at Electro Voice cobalt co4..

bigwillz24 said:
I got one what have you got it to sound good on? The only thing I found it decent on was a reggae artist.

I have a pair of the Co4's and I like them too. I have used them on bass cabs before. Also on snare and toms. I didnt like them on snare too much at first...then I found out that I had a bad cable on the mic. After correcting that. I have been pleased. On guitar cabs however, these wouldnt be my first choice. Overall...I think they are decent mics to have around.

I gotta chime in again for the GLS ES57. It might be inexpensive, but it is NOT a cheap mic. It's built like a tank! I could drive my F-150 over it and I doubt it would even oval. I've A/B'd it with the sm57 and the sound is the same, just a bit hotter.

I hate to push an old clip but I used them on the toms on these test tracks. Sorry if you already heard them.

drummerdude666 said:
Thanks, where did you buy your clone from?

From Musik Produktiv, which has a very similar setup to shops like Thomann. As far as I've seen, these copies are all sold onder a brandname that belongs to the store selling them. Thomann has t.bone and a couple of others, Musik Produktiv has Collins, Hitec Audio and a couple of others aswell. I bought a Collins DCM57. My guess is that all these mics come from the same place. I would stay away from them.

Thanks guys.

treymonfauntre said:
i'm telling ya, search ebay for gls audio es57s. they aren't just lookalikes.
i just have...nothing came up in the Uk, so i searched worldwide and still nothing. :confused:

timboZ said:
I have 2 of the older superlux drum kits and the sound damn good. I use them for live sound most of the time. But they do get used on occasion in the basement as well.
Do you have any clips i could have a listen of?

PhilGood said:
I gotta chime in again for the GLS ES57. It might be inexpensive, but it is NOT a cheap mic. It's built like a tank! I could drive my F-150 over it and I doubt it would even oval. I've A/B'd it with the sm57 and the sound is the same, just a bit hotter.
Where did you get your gls mics from?

Halion said:
From Musik Produktiv, which has a very similar setup to shops like Thomann. As far as I've seen, these copies are all sold onder a brandname that belongs to the store selling them. Thomann has t.bone and a couple of others, Musik Produktiv has Collins, Hitec Audio and a couple of others aswell. I bought a Collins DCM57. My guess is that all these mics come from the same place. I would stay away from them.
I have a few collins mics and they are crap. The worst mics ive ever used. But i havent seen collins sm57 copies???

noisedude said:
Sennheiser E835 = great on snare. Honest. You will not have problems with it. :)

yeah I use a sennheiser dynamic (I think this one..it belongs to my bassist) on vocals during practice, much clearer than a 57.

another option -

I picked up 3 undyne IIIs on ebay for about 20 bucks each, with cables. some church was selling 10 of them and they are in perfect condition.

We can only ship to USA shipping addresses. Please call 714-554-8520 for special arrangements for shipping outside the USA. Please do not bid if you do not have a USA shipping address.

i dunno if you wanna do that but theres the info

treymonfauntre said:
We can only ship to USA shipping addresses. Please call 714-554-8520 for special arrangements for shipping outside the USA. Please do not bid if you do not have a USA shipping address.

i dunno if you wanna do that but theres the info

I need to stop scan reading :D

THANKYOU!

Cost wise you can get 6 sm57 clones for less than that Audio Technia. The AT might be better, but for what i need the clones are getting the thumbs up from many people. Thanks though.

Keep this thread updated when you get them. I would like to know how you make out. I'll pick up one or two for guitar amp recording, as I could use a 57.

Back