Slight return

jimistone

long standing member
I posted this and we years ago, but most of the people who heard it have long been to be from here.
I don't really need mix advice. Be sure the basic tracks were lost. My best friend Donnie is playing drums and he died last summer. He was a phenomenal drummer. The only recordings of his playing are those that I did of us.
So, my recording and mixing chops have improved drastically since this. So, it is what it is and it's all we got of his tremendous talent.
So, a slight return to some happy times to celebrate his time on earth!

voodoo child by jimistone - Listen to music

Guitars sound great. Especially the crunchy ones.

The mix is really narrow. I suppose Hendrix' original was (maybe mono?). But by modern standards it's narrow.

That's my only real nit.

Oh I guess there is a bass frequency that pops out here and there. It sounds like it's in the mid 100hzs'.

Thanks Robus and MMM
The guitars are direct into the recorder. Fender mustang V amp.
No speakers whatsoever

I remember when you posted this before.
Job well done and I thought the same at the time.

It has new meaning seeing how your buddy has been gone a year now. God, it seems like yesterday. And I didn't even know him.
But listening in a new light brings things out I didn't pay that much attention to before. First I was focused on the playing (your) the vibe, and to a lesser degree the mix.

This time in addition to the above, I listened to the drumming. Yeah, he was a good drummer.

Again, sorry for your loss. Enjoy the memories of your time together. That's about all we get in the end. At least you have some recordings.

I remember when you posted this before.
Job well done and I thought the same at the time.

It has new meaning seeing how your buddy has been gone a year now. God, it seems like yesterday. And I didn't even know him.
But listening in a new light brings things out I didn't pay that much attention to before. First I was focused on the playing (your) the vibe, and to a lesser degree the mix.

This time in addition to the above, I listened to the drumming. Yeah, he was a good drummer.

Again, sorry for your loss. Enjoy the memories of your time together. That's about all we get in the end. At least you have some recordings.

Thanks RFR.
One of the main reasons he and I started recording together is because we didn't want to be "ghost musicians". That was what we called guys that we heard could really play but had passed on without a single recording. Some of them were guys we knew and that we jammed with. Phenominal plyers without so much as one recorded song under their belt. So, we started trying to record. He got cancer when, in my opinion, it was all coming together on the recording and mixing side. The recordings I'm producing now have a lot better sound quality....we were poised to make some great recordings.
I'm happy we got some half way decent recordings.
He would dig someone listening to a recording of his playing a year after he died.
He's not a "ghost musician" and that was the goal from the get-go

The parts where the guitar and vocals unify are huge. Epic. Awesome job there.

Donnie had soul. Great style and flow. He brought the power.

The parts where the guitar and vocals unify are huge. Epic. Awesome job there.

Donnie had soul. Great style and flow. He brought the power.
Thanks IBB. I wish my recording chops were better at the time.
It was a lot easier to get a tune together when Donnie took care of the drums for sure. Sometimes I'll be laboring over a simple drum part...take after take...and think; "damn, Donnie could smoke a whole joint of Colorado pot and drink half a fifth of liquor and produce a performance better than this on the first take."
Lol
I really miss that guy.

Last edited:
The guitar and vocal are both a bit too upfront/present, but otherwise it's an excellent vibe.
Listen in headphones and you will likely notice it.

Hey Jimi, great story and great recording. Love the vibe and feel, fits the song great, nice guitar and wah tones. What is the tone, sounds like a Fuzz box of some sort? Tube Screamer? Which wah was that? Nice reverb on the guitar too, sounds cool.

He was a great drummer, easy to see that. Too many of us are gone too soon, teaches us to enjoy life in the sliver of a time we have here on earth. So glad you got to record with him, is there more or is this the only one?

Thanks Johnny.
The guitar tone is a 1966 strat going into a fender mustang modeling amp. The amp was set on the preset "Purple Fizz". I ran the headphone out straight into the recording interface ...stereo to two channels. The wha wha ride was a stock cry baby into the mustang amp. I used another amp preset instead of "Purple Fizz" on the wha wha ride but I cant remember what it was (the wha wha ride was a later addition). This is the only song that I recorded a guitar direct without a speaker cab....but it wasn't ment to be a serious recording. We were just fiddle farting around. It sounded good so I developed it a bit. Donnie didn't like this recording because when I erased the original second lead ride and re-recorded the wha wha ride I had differe't accent points and he said he would have played it differently. We were going to redo it but he got sick before we got to it.
Yeah, I have more recordings of Donnie on drums
Thanks for the listen johnny!

Last edited:
Back