Sketchup Studio Design Help

ThaArtist

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Studio.jpg

Studio_top3.jpg

Studio_top.jpg

Studio_top2.jpg

maybe some corner traps in the control room, eq wiz it and find out. what are the dimensions? Looks awful small, might be better to take the 1 room approach.

It is aweful small. I was looking at John Sayers design for Small studio and his is about 10'x18'. Well the room I have to work with is about 6'x18'. Possibly 7'x18' with some creative doing around an existing corner.

I pretty much realized that I need superchunk bass traps for the mixing room and some slotted panels it seems. I might redo this design with John Sayers Small Studio design he released for free, in mind.

I want two separate spaces because of convenience. People take forever with their guitar takes and it's hard to be quite all that time, etc.

What do you guys think of something like this. The ceiling is only 6'5" high and the total space is about 7'x17'. I modified John Sayers small studio design. Think this would work acoustically?

Attachments

• small studio_mod.jpg
    small studio_mod.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 176
  • small studio_mod2.jpg
    small studio_mod2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 173
Okay, hold on a sec...you're kinda going the wrong direction with it. The space is so narrow that it really doesn't make any sense at all to divide it into two spaces that will each be EVEN SMALLER. Furthermore, it makes even less sense to then take each of those tiny rooms and reduce the overall volume EVEN FURTHER by introducing angled surfaces. You're going to spend a ton of money doing it and end up with pretty poor results.

I'd keep the space undivided, then trap the heck out of it. Do all the usual things: bass traps in all the corners and on the back wall (I'd do superchunks in the corners and at least 6" traps on the back wall), then do 4" panels absolutely everywhere else...reflection points, front wall, ceiling and the right and left walls near the back of the room. No diffusion. The space is too small.

Seriously...you don't want to divide that space...

Frank

Ok! See... thats all I needed! lol

So glad to hear that because anything else is alot of work!

Wondering what you think of the studio in semi crate type thing? That cant be much wider then 10' and the ones I seen maybe 25' long?

Maybe I should scratch the whole idea and just build some gobo type system like someone recommended?

While I'd certainly bow to John's superior experience, I still have doubts that splitting that space up is a good idea.

Frank

I agree...splitting it up just doesn't make much sense to me. I'd keep the length and trap the shit outta it.

I did use Google Sketchup. Trust me, save yourself some time and just go through all their tutorials.

Yeah, this might turn into a real buying a cargo crate and building another one like on John's page. Instead of investing building something in a house I dont own. (Dad said I could build something at his house since I rent and dont have space.)

Cargo crates can be moved non commercially right? lol There has to be a way to move it through the streets. Might have to pay a semi type truck driver with a fork lift type setup? I dunno.

The second design I posted as attachments. I used Johns existing design which HE did in google sketchup and just modified it for my space.

Back