Silver by emser

Emser,

I really enjoy your work and feel that there is definitely an audience out there for this kind of stuff. It seems to fall somewhere between Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, Enya, & Evanescence.

The lead vocal seemed a little less processed on this track than some of the other songs, which is o.k. with me, but it could use a little more warmth. It seems dry compared to the backing track. The singing is beautiful, as usual. The production, overall, is excellent. I love most of the little flourishes (except for the conga/bongo hits prior to the second verse). The lyrics during the verses are great, but I'm not so sure about the chorus. It doesn't really do it for me. There is some noticeable noise (?amp hum) in the right speaker at the end of the track, which is kind of distracting.

Those are nitpicky things, as I think the work as a whole is superior. With a few minor tweaks, I think you are ready for the big time!

Good points scrubby. The vocalsound`s been bothering me too, i`ll se what i can do. The noise is from my lapslide,i think there is a tone in it as well.

Wow that's good.

I agree I wouldn't mind the vocals a little wetter. Also I think during the chorus I'd bring up the guitars (lap steel, whatever is in there) and backing vocals to create more of a wash, sort of blur the lines with the lead vocal.

Finally there is one drum that is troubling me--it's not the snare, but it sounds kind of snare-ish. It's the one that is playing sixteenth notes near the intro. It really competes with the snare; I think it needs to be pushed down a little, like you should have to struggle a bit to hear it.

Yea, the drums... i was thinking, should i go for a more "real drums" programming style and sounds and skip the machine feeling?

/emser

emser said:
Yea, the drums... i was thinking, should i go for a more "real drums" programming style and sounds and skip the machine feeling?

/emser

I'm going to say no, I like that sound. I reminds me of Dido's first album a bit.

i like it.

good song... but i agree about the quality of the lyrics in the verse compared to those of the chorus... they dont seem quite as meaningful somehow...

but yeah :) go for it! :D

Andy

Back