Signature Files

Blue Bear Sound said:
I'm pissed, asshole, because myself other professionals freely give our advice and input to the community here, and to hear this bullshit in light of these contributions is pretty ungrateful.....

Wow!

Fuck with a mans cashflow and the bear really starts to come out. lmao

Blue Bear Sound said:
And anyone else who's got a problem with my sig, by all means go ahead and get me and other pros banned....... this will leave you all wallowing in arguments about whether a ROLLS is better than a Behringer pre, and convincing yoruselves that Radio Shack does make mics that rival a U87....

My my my. Don't we feel highly of ourselves today?

Self absorbed...mad ass hell...

Sounds like a panty waist teenager...or a guy who thinks he has a recording studio full time, but is always posting here 24/7. How does that work?????

Outlaws said:
Wow!

Fuck with a mans cashflow and the bear really starts to come out. lmao

Yes, when you get in the way of a man trying to feed his family he will get agitated.

Outlaws said:
Sounds like a panty waist teenager...or a guy who thinks he has a recording studio full time, but is always posting here 24/7. How does that work?????

What do you do for a living? If you knew anything about running a studio, you wouldn't have to ask the question.

I posted this reply in the "Real" Tube Preamps thread ... where it actually started:

If someone wants to post a link to their business in a signature, I don't have a problem with that. If anything it gives me an idea of who I'm getting advice from if they're responding to a thread I'm reading. Sure it gives them additional exposure, but I don't see what's wrong with that. No one has to use their services unless they want to.

I just wanted to add that I'm an active member in a couple of other forums and can't believe how many times I've seen people freaking out here about people spamming ... it's totally ridiculous! Isn't our time better spent talking about recording? I guess my links would be considered spam as well, even though two of the three url's are of good friends of mine in the biz.

Maybe we should just eliminate our signatures altogether and be done with it ...

futurestar said:
Maybe we should just eliminate our signatures altogether and be done with it ...

I am all for that.

I am sick of people listing how "professional" they are.

By being a member of a forum you open yourself up to whatever the heck somebody else wants to say. This includes their signature lines. Spam, IMO, must be unsolicited in order to be spam and all of you people against putting links and what not in your signature lines are soliciting anything we have to say simply by being a member and reading this thread. I like knowing as much as I can know about the people who post here so I can tell if they have a clue about what they're saying or not. If you don't want to click a link to Bluebear's site, DON"T DO IT!

I assume that you're going to have words with HR.com for the banner ads that appear on the forum? They should really kick you out for bringing up stupid crap like this.

Chris

DJL said:
A brief statement telling people about your engineering skills/credits and affiliation with Mercenary Audio (For example? I?m a salesman for Mercenary Audio) without the Mercenary Audio advertisement link would be much more approbate in your signature space.

Geez, I knew I was safe as far as the sig goes, but I didn't even think about mentioning credits to indicate possible affiliations. OK, here goes:

For those of you that don't know me, I distribute MoreMe studio headphones (do a Google search for the website), I own ITR recording studio outside Sanger, Texas (do a Google search for the website), and I'm a moderator on the same bunch of forums Fletcher talked about that include George Massenburg, Klaus Heyne, Bob Ohlsson, Mixerman and a few other luminaries in the music biz as moderators (do a Google search for the website). I am a former moderator on the Recording.org site.

In the past, I've worked for Fender, Morley, Acoustic Control, Gibson, Fender, Rhodes, JBL, Hondo, Charvel, Jackson, Peavey, Yamaha, Traynor/Yorkville, Delta, Ross, and probably a few others I can't remember right now (do a Google search for their websites).

I've written songs for the Byrds, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and Sweetwater. I was the ocasional guitar player for Sweetwater, played in the Villagers (RCA), and I was the soundman and speaker system designer for the Whiskey, the Ash Grove, Cosmo Alley, the Trip, the Mecca, and the Troubadour, all in Los Angeles (do a Google search for their websites).

As an engineer, I've recorded Barbara Dane, Bud & Travis, Flatt & Scruggs, Brownie McGee & Sonny Terry, Lightning Hopkins, Chambers Brothers, Albert King, Mance Lipscomb, Fred McDowell, Jesse Fuller, Rambling Jack Elliot, John Nitzinger, Ornette Coleman, Charlie Haden, Freddy Gruber, Wellman Braud, Buddy Childers, and probably a few dozen others I can't remember right now (do a Google search for their websites).

I'm friends with Fletcher at Mercenary, Wayne Freeman and Len Marshall at MXL, Alan Hyatt and Brent Casey at PMI, Tony Merrill at Stephen Paul Audio, Karl Winkler formerly of Neumann and Sennheiser, David Satz of Schoep, Wes Dooley of AEA, David Josephson of Josephson, Bob Heil of Heil mics, Mark McQuilken of FMR Audio, David Kennedy of Great River Electronics, Larry at ADK, Jon Hall of Rickenbacker, John LaGrou of Milinia Media, Dirk Brauner of Brauner, Brad Lund of Transamerica Audio, Evanna Manley of Manley, and probably a few dozen others I can't remember right now (do a Google search for their websites).

Geez, I feel so much better now. Now everybody knows my biases and some of my credits. What else would be appropriate? I'm 67 and semi-retired.

So, should this be included in every post I make to HR?

chris-from-ky said:
By being a member of a forum you open yourself up to whatever the heck somebody else wants to say. This includes their signature lines. Spam, IMO, must be unsolicited in order to be spam and all of you people against putting links and what not in your signature lines are soliciting anything we have to say simply by being a member and reading this thread. I like knowing as much as I can know about the people who post here so I can tell if they have a clue about what they're saying or not. If you don't want to click a link to Bluebear's site, DON"T DO IT!

I assume that you're going to have words with HR.com for the banner ads that appear on the forum? They should really kick you out for bringing up stupid crap like this.

Chris

A lot of Internet newbies don't really know what spam is. Newbies should lurk, listen and learn before they begin posting.

from the outside looking in

As someone very new to the recording arena, there are a couple of things i would like to add to this post.

As a new recording enthusiast, I come here in search of knowledge and advice. I have to take both on blind faith, because obviously, I can't see who is on the other end of the post.

So, what do you do when you get different or conflicting advice on a matter?

There are several things I take into account when i decide. One is total post counts of the individual. I've been told this is not good, and not an accurate indicator. But, what I want to beleive is this. If someone has taken the time to make a thousand posts on this bbs they at least have the passion for the subject.

The second thing i try and look at, are the professional affiliations ( which get listed in the sig file). If i can go to the persons website, read their bio, hear their clips, see the studio, then it gives credibility to their post.

So where do we cross the line between spam and just offering to help.

I think if i came on the BBS once a week, started a new thread, and announced i was selling the new and improved recording widget, that would be spam because it was unsolicited.

If on the other hand, someone came into the bbs and asked a question " I need a new recording widget, where can i find one?" Then I, being a rep of the company, came in and replied that i sold them, that wouldn't be spam. I was offering a responce to a specific question.

This second scenario is what i SEE here all the time. Someone comes in and asks about a mic, and Alan speaks up. Is it free advertising...sure, but it come with the wealth of knowledge that Alan has, and shares. And i kinda' like the idea of having some knowlegable people around.

I know some of the big companies do support this site also. I see Blue Bear's banner ad at the top of the screen right now.

So, I think as long as the sig lines list professional affiliations, and are not obviously a free add, then they do serve a purpose for some of us.

Just my $.02. I love this place

Harvey Gerst said:
Geez, I knew I was safe as far as the sig goes, but I didn't even think about mentioning credits to indicate possible affiliations. OK, here goes:

For those of you that don't know me, I distribute MoreMe studio headphones (do a Google search for the website), I own ITR recording studio outside Sanger, Texas (do a Google search for the website), and I'm a moderator on the same bunch of forums Fletcher talked about that include George Massenburg, Klaus Heyne, Bob Ohlsson, Mixerman and a few other luminaries in the music biz as moderators (do a Google search for the website). I am a former moderator on the Recording.org site.

In the past, I've worked for Fender, Morley, Acoustic Control, Gibson, Fender, Rhodes, JBL, Hondo, Charvel, Jackson, Peavey, Yamaha, Traynor/Yorkville, Delta, Ross, and probably a few others I can't remember right now (do a Google search for their websites).

I've written songs for the Byrds, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and Sweetwater. I was the ocasional guitar player for Sweetwater, played in the Villagers (RCA), and I was the soundman and speaker system designer for the Whiskey, the Ash Grove, Cosmo Alley, the Trip, the Mecca, and the Troubadour, all in Los Angeles (do a Google search for their websites).

As an engineer, I've recorded Barbara Dane, Bud & Travis, Flatt & Scruggs, Brownie McGee & Sonny Terry, Lightning Hopkins, Chambers Brothers, Albert King, Mance Lipscomb, Fred McDowell, Jesse Fuller, Rambling Jack Elliot, John Nitzinger, Ornette Coleman, Charlie Haden, Freddy Gruber, Wellman Braud, Buddy Childers, and probably a few dozen others I can't remember right now (do a Google search for their websites).

I'm friends with Fletcher at Mercenary, Wayne Freeman and Len Marshall at MXL, Alan Hyatt and Brent Casey at PMI, Tony Merrill at Stephen Paul Audio, Karl Winkler formerly of Neumann and Sennheiser, David Satz of Schoep, Wes Dooley of AEA, David Josephson of Josephson, Bob Heil of Heil mics, Mark McQuilken of FMR Audio, David Kennedy of Great River Electronics, Larry at ADK, Jon Hall of Rickenbacker, John LaGrou of Milinia Media, Dirk Brauner of Brauner, Brad Lund of Transamerica Audio, Evanna Manley of Manley, and probably a few dozen others I can't remember right now (do a Google search for their websites).

Geez, I feel so much better now. Now everybody knows my biases and some of my credits. What else would be appropriate? I'm 67 and semi-retired.

So, should this be included in every post I make to HR?
Hi Harvey,

Sure, it's fine with me if you want to put all that in your signature... that's much better than a business advertisement don't you think?

The problem is simple.

What this forum needs is some moderation.

Though~

I will have none of that.

Be on with it. Fight. Entertain the rest of us.

DJL said:
Hi Harvey,
Sure, it's fine with me if you want to put all that in your signature... that's much better than a business advertisement don't you think?

So it's businesses that you have a problem with, not the people. That is a distiction that doesn't exist for a lot of us. I am the product. I have a facility, but I don't do everything here.
What is your problem with business?

DJL said:
Hi Harvey,

I'm not sure it would make my posts easier to read, but it would point out my friendship with some of the people in the industry, or my possible bias, due to my previous employers. But how would that help anybody?

The point I'm trying to make is that it's absurd to list all my possible biases, simply because I've been around this business for more than a half century.

I don't include a sig anymore, but maybe my posts should just be judged on their informational content. Nothing more, nothing less. If you (or anyone here) suspects bias in a particular post, simply call me on it. Or post your own contrary opinion to offset mine.

Fletcher is simply following a custom agreed to by most of the members of rec.audio.pro since the early days of it's formation; identify yourself and your affiliations when you're posting. I did that in my profile here.

Farview said:
So it's businesses that you have a problem with, not the people. That is a distiction that doesn't exist for a lot of us. I am the product. I have a facility, but I don't do everything here.
What is your problem with business?
Yeah of course I like you... and if you want to advertise on hr.com why not pay for a banner instead of sneaking around it with an advertisement/link in the signature space?

Harvey Gerst said:
I'm not sure it would make my posts easier to read, but it would point out my friendship with some of the people in the industry, or my possible bias, due to my previous employers. But how would that help anybody?

The point I'm trying to make is that it's absurd to list all my possible biases, simply because I've been around this business for more than a half century.

I don't include a sig anymore, but maybe my posts should just be judged on their informational content. Nothing more, nothing less. If you (or anyone here) suspects bias in a particular post, simply call me on it. Or post your own contrary opinion to offset mine.

Fletcher is simply following a custom agreed to by most of the members of rec.audio.pro since the early days of it's formation; identify yourself and your affiliations when you're posting. I did that in my profile here.
Ok, my name is Don and I have nothing for sell. :)

DJL said:
Yeah of course I like you... and if you want to advertise on hr.com why not pay for a banner instead of sneaking around it with an advertisement/link in the signature space?

Please do NOT support businesses posting advertising messages on our hr.com forums and please do NOT support businesses using the signature space for advertising messages unless they are also paying hr.com to advertise (banner, etc). Thanks
BTW, I forgot to ask:

Is this an official statement of HR BBS policy from Dragon, or is it just something you've made up on your own?

Back