Shure SM58 VS. an MXL V57M Studio Condenser Microphone

3nigma

For recording vocals in a small bedroom? Seems like the Shure gets universally good reviews, but the Condenser seems good as well.

Hmmm...

The difference is that one is a condenser and the other is not.
The MXL may be a better choice just because it is a little closer to that "classic studio sound" on the other hand, SM58s are really good mics overall...
The MXL will probably pick up more, including mess ups, just being a condenser and all... REMEMBER you will need phantom power.

I have had lots of luck with MXL 4000 on vocals (here is a song I recorded the vocals using the MXL 4000 http://www.electricblustudio.com/St...8/11/22_I_Hear_A_Voice..._Monty_Mcintire.html) and they may be similar mics... Don't forget, I was using a good Pre-Amp (A UA SOLO 610)

As for the SM58, I know Led Zeppelin did lots of their recordings with one and it came out great didn't it?

Hope this Helps!

-Julien
The Electric Blu Studio
www.electricblustudio.com

The difference is that one is a condenser and the other is not.
The MXL may be a better choice just because it is a little closer to that "classic studio sound" on the other hand, SM58s are really good mics overall...
The MXL will probably pick up more, including mess ups, just being a condenser and all... REMEMBER you will need phantom power.

I have had lots of luck with MXL 4000 on vocals (here is a song I recorded the vocals using the MXL 4000 http://www.electricblustudio.com/St...8/11/22_I_Hear_A_Voice..._Monty_Mcintire.html) and they may be similar mics... Don't forget, I was using a good Pre-Amp (A UA SOLO 610)

As for the SM58, I know Led Zeppelin did lots of their recordings with one and it came out great didn't it?

Hope this Helps!

-Julien
The Electric Blu Studio
www.electricblustudio.com

Yeah, what he said.
They are very different animals. The SM58 would be "more ideal" for a live situation and the condensers are used mostly in the studio, but that's not a hard and fast rule anymore. The main thing to consider is how the voice sounds through them. Vocalists sound different through different mics. I know one vocalist that actually likes how her voice sounds through an AKG D112 which is usually used as a kick or a bass cab mic.

A good rule of thumb to follow (that is not true in every case) is for the same price point, I would prefer a dynamic to a condenser.

Phantom power means that your mixer or audio interface provides 48VDC via the two wires in your mic cable to power the microphone. Most mixers and interfaces provide this, though you have to switch this on. Some old or cheap mixers don't. Similarly, some cheap interfaces don't.

Yes, condenser mics require phantom power and dynamic mics do not. Some condensers provide their own power via batteries, but most require external phantom power.

Oh, well then forget the Condenser. I looked up some samples online of recordings with the SM58, it sounds so good. There's a perfect level of bass with voices.

In a small untreated room, I would go with the SM58. A dynamic mic will pick up much less room noise than a condenser. If your room is treated, or you want to hang some sleeping bags around the condenser as you sing into it, the condenser would likely work for you.

I've got an MXL V57M and always thought it sounded more dark than anything else, but I like it that way. I've also got an SM57 and a Studio Projects C1 and right now I prefer the MXL. The SM57 has too much mid-range for my voice and the C1 is bright on the upper end and really brings out my horrible sibilance.

ymmv,
cheers.

Proximity effect

Oh, well then forget the Condenser. I looked up some samples online of recordings with the SM58, it sounds so good. There's a perfect level of bass with voices.

3nigma,

Like all dynamic cardiods the SM58 has a pronounced proximity effect. This means that the bass is enhanced the closer you sing to the mic. Many singers like to get right on the mic and wallow around in the bass.

What this means is you can adjust the amount of bass by how close you sing to the mic. Right on it for the most bass. 6 inches or further for less bass. In between for in between bass. If you listen in headphones while you sing you can control the proximity effect by ear.

Some alternative dynamic vocal mics to consider if you're willing to buy used are the AKG D770 and the EV PL80. These are generally inexpensive used and some singers prefer them to an SM58. They also have the proximity effect. I consider them to be smoother sounding than an SM58. Some may have other opinions which I invite them to state.

You really can't go wrong with an SM58. It will always be useful. It's everywhere so you should be able to find one to sing through before you buy to convince yourself to shell bucks.

Also an SM57 with a windscreen is very similar to an SM58.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Those old MXL mics are very abrasive and grainy on the high end. They also sound a bit scooped.

I believe the MXL V57M was one of MXL's first microphones. I was so impressed with the sound for the $30 to $50 range I was able to acquire them on eBay that I bought a second one figuring I could always get my money back. Is it the holy grail of condenser mics? Of course not, but I really like it for acoustic guitar and voice.

Back