Should I go through my mixer to record??

lttoler

I have been doing my recording through a Tascam US-1800 and have been happy. I have read that the preamps are not that great though. I also have an 16 channel Allen and Heath Mix Wizard mixer. Would I be better off running everything such as drums through the Allen and Heath and then out to the Tascam to do the tracking?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Well, you can use the mixer to run channels 11-14. Channels 1-8 are expecting mic level input, and not line level, so you would in effect, be running two preamps on your input chain. Not a good idea. Inputs 9/10 are kind of a cross between the mic inputs, and line input, but it still runs through a preamp. Your best bet would be to try the direct outs from the mixer, and see how they sound. I am going to guess you wont hear much of an improvement between the mixer pre's and the Tascam ones. Now, if you spend the price of your mixer on a one channel preamp, well then you will really start to hear some improvement. :)

It depends on how you route things. The US-1800 has 8 preamps (mic inputs) and 6 line inputs. I would suggest plugging 6 mics into the mixwiz where you can use the channel strips to EQ and adjust levels on the console and run your line outs (inserts) to the 6 line ins on the Tascam. Then for any other mics you can plug them directly into the Tascam Mic inputs.
But if you're talking about just the preamp differences, I doubt you'll hear a difference between the two. Neither one is known as a "character" preamp, so as long as you don't overload them, there's a negligible difference. Or put another way; a clean preamp is a clean preamp. The EQ on your Mixwiz however, is very useful.

Last edited:
It depends on how you route things. The US-1800 has 8 preamps (mic inputs) and 6 line inputs. I would suggest plugging 6 mics into the mixwiz where you can use the channel strips to EQ and adjust levels on the console and run your line outs (inserts) to the 6 line ins on the Tascam. Then for any other mics you can plug them directly into the Tascam Mic inputs.
But if you're talking about just the preamp differences, I doubt you'll hear a difference between the two. Neither one is known as a "character" preamp, so as long as you don't overload them, there's a negligible difference. Or put another way; a clean preamp is a clean preamp. The EQ on your Mixwiz however, is very useful.

I totally agree about not hearing the differences from preamps between the 1800 and the mixer. Not enough to speak about IMO.

But, wait, 'line outs (inserts)'? Or the direct outs for each channel on the MW? I could not find from the documentation, as to whether either of them are pre-or post EQ section of the A&H mixer. Also, the OP never gave the specific model number.

I will add, that in my limited experience, I have not found much use for EQ from a channel, on the way in. Not unless it was a worthy beast. This is not a SSL console. A 16 channel $800 or so board with 16 channels, is likely not going to give a revolutionary EQ sound, that would rival the best. Just sayin...

I myself, would spend time on getting input tone right at the source, before adding EQ via the preamp, unless of course, I knew what the hell I was doing, and used the EQ as part of the tone itself.

Just my opinion. :)

But, wait, 'line outs (inserts)'? Or the direct outs for each channel on the MW?
My bad, it's been a while since I owned one (the original 16:2) I meant the direct outs.

I will add, that in my limited experience, I have not found much use for EQ from a channel, on the way in. Not unless it was a worthy beast. This is not a SSL console. A 16 channel $800 or so board with 16 channels, is likely not going to give a revolutionary EQ sound, that would rival the best. Just sayin...
I myself, would spend time on getting input tone right at the source, before adding EQ via the preamp, unless of course, I knew what the hell I was doing, and used the EQ as part of the tone itself.

I found the EQ pretty useful. Of course everything else needs to be right. even SSL EQ won't fix bad technique. But I know I'll never track or mix on a SSL console and this is HOME recording, so we gotta use what we have, right?
I dumped the MixWiz a few years ago and upgraded to a Yamaha O1v96 and I track rock bands with real drums and guitar amps thru it and I use the mixer EQ and Compression for tracking. Sounds great, maybe a little more precise and recallable than the MixWiz, but I never thought the EQ on the Mixwiz sounded bad and it served me well.

Best answer is "try it and see if there's enough difference to be worthwhile to you". It won't be a huge difference but the MixWiz pre amps are nice and, depending on you combination of mics and material, may or may not sound better to a worthwhile level.

With decent quality gear (and both the A&H and the Tascam fall into that category) I'd have no fears about using both despite a couple of extra balanced cables. Depending on the OP's taste, he might like the MixWiz preamps better--and working that way certainly won't cause any problems in the sound quality.

With decent quality gear (and both the A&H and the Tascam fall into that category) I'd have no fears about using both despite a couple of extra balanced cables. Depending on the OP's taste, he might like the MixWiz preamps better--and working that way certainly won't cause any problems in the sound quality.

I agree, think of that tascam as a very good japanese pre, better than yamaha IMHO, and your mix liz with good brit pre. Both add different engineering ideals.

Back