Should I get a new mic or learn to eq?

JaQsonA1

ok.... i m looking for a brighter sound when recording vocals. i have a samson c03 mic now-- but someone suggested i get a rode nt1 or if possible a rode ntk which is 500 bucks i think. i really dont want to waste money on getting this mic and it doesnt give me what i m looking for. i m using mbox and i have a preamp i like that better than the than the pre on mbox.

to help you all get a better understanding of what i m talking about, this is what the guy told me, "ok, the main thing i notice about your vocals is the lack of clarity, mainly the lack of top end frequencies, do u EQ your vocs at all" i told him i have no clue how to use eq and this was his response, "ok, then it's [probably your mic that's lacking the clarity on the higher end frequencies".

my question is what should i do? should i bite the bullet and spend the 500 to get a better mic or will the mic make a difference at all i just need to learn how to eq?

If your mic isn't picking up the high end, no EQ can magically add these frequencies. I would look into a better mic. The NTK gets good results around here.

An analogy before I go - Let's say you have a really cheap plywood guitar. You ask yourself - "Why doesn't this sound like a Santa Cruz/Martin/Collings/Goodall?" It's missing alot of the sparkle, overtones,etc... Can I just EQ the magic back in? If you can, I just wasted a ton of money on my Santa Cruz OM/PW :)

Good luck!

Different mics for different uses. Some mics do better than others, even the same mic might work better for vocals with one person but not for another. If you know a few musicians who might let you borrow a few different mics to try then do it. Finding compatable gear is largely a matter of trial and error, you just have to experiment and find what works best. Recording voice takes practice and there is a difference in the way a singer projects their voice in the studio (as opposed to on stage) so this has to be worked on as well. Patience, practice and persistence will pay off in the long run. Anyway welcome abord and keep asking, surely someone around here has the answers.

Wow. A multi-pattern condenser for $99. Amazing. ;)
IMHO if you're in the still finding out what's up phase, definitely try eq first. It's a skill you'll always build on, and the frequencies are likely in there, just in the wrong proportions.
Depending on what eq you have, try first trimming down what there is too much of. This could be anything from a little bit off every thing from 200 to 300 on down -to just rolling of bass at a hundred or so.
Listen with it in the mix, keep experimenting with lite cutting and bringing it back up louder untill the bottom half fits with the top half, then consider adding highs last.
wayne

Are you using that Rolls preamp still over the Mbox pre? I think that may be you're problem right there. It's like putting four flat tires on you car and wondering if you need to get a better car. BTW, you are still going through the mbox pre even if you select line. Try using the mic straight into the Mbox.

hey reshp,

i will experiment with it more this weekend and see what happens. thanks everyone for the great advice! i m going to try borrowing someelses mic before i spend 500 bucks on it.... hopefully i will figure this out. if not you know i will be back :p

JaQsonA1 said:
ok.... i m looking for a brighter sound when recording vocals. i have a samson c03 mic now-- but someone suggested i get a rode nt1 or if possible a rode ntk which is 500 bucks i think. i really dont want to waste money on getting this mic and it doesnt give me what i m looking for. i m using mbox and i have a preamp i like that better than the than the pre on mbox.

to help you all get a better understanding of what i m talking about, this is what the guy told me, "ok, the main thing i notice about your vocals is the lack of clarity, mainly the lack of top end frequencies, do u EQ your vocs at all" i told him i have no clue how to use eq and this was his response, "ok, then it's [probably your mic that's lacking the clarity on the higher end frequencies".

my question is what should i do? should i bite the bullet and spend the 500 to get a better mic or will the mic make a difference at all i just need to learn how to eq?

i have a samson co2 small diaghram condenser mic and it picks the higher frequencies ok. although yours is a Co3 and doesnt pick up as high frequencies cuz it's a large diaghram condenser im guessing.

Back